Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Young driver advice

Options
  • 07-11-2018 4:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

I am looking for some advice on starting to drive. I have a learners permit and half of my lessons done. My driving instructor informed me I need to practice my driving in between lessons but I don’t have anything to practice on. I am looking for the best way to go about insurance and purchasing a car. I have no knowledge about cars/insurance and I’m completely lost.

I’ve heard about people doing the aviva deal, getting a car on finance etc. Ideally I want the cheapest and safest option. I realise that this is very expensive but appreciate any advice!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Post on the motors buy and sell forum for advice on what car to get for your budget, people will post some good suggestions. At the very least you'll have an idea of what to lookout for.

Regarding insurance, don't go with a blackbox tracker like Boxymo or Axa Drive Save. The small saving you make isn't worth getting penalized for. Also the Boxymo/Its4women group are impossible to get on the phone. Being in a crash is bad enough as it is without your insurer not picking up.

When you have an idea of what kind of car to look for use the reg number in some of the for sale ads you see to get an idea of insurance quotes. Liberty seem to be giving the lowest quotes for new/young drivers. Axa might be worth a look as they're keen on Learner drivers (ignorant staff though).

If you know someone with a few years experience driving with a clean record you could add them to your insurance policy as this will usually help lower the cost. They don't have to ever drive your car, they're just insured to do so. It also helps if your household has contents insurance or another driver with the same company to get multi-policy discount.

I wouldn't recommend getting your first car on finance unless you're confident driving in the dark, back roads, heavy rain, busy motorway etc and happy to spend a bit more on something nicer. This is a personal choice though and depends on your situation. I wouldn't look at financing something worth a few grand. Easier to just save for it and not have monthly payments.

Advertisement