Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

High Efficiency A Rated Circulating Pumps

• 07-11-2018 4:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭

Looking to treat myself to one of the above for Christmas even though my trusty Salmson NYL 33 pump is still serving me well after ~ 18 years, this is a "4.5M" pump at speed 3 but I have always run it on speed 2 which is ~ a 3.5M pump at this speed.

I was looking at the PP (Proportional Pressure) settings on both the Grundfos UPS2 and the Wilo Yonis Pico 1-6 pumps both of which are 6M pumps.
    The UPS2 has "only" 3 PP settings all of which are quite close ie setting (i) 2.7M setting (ii) 2.8M and setting (iii) 3.0M.
    The Wilo has numerous PP settings ie to mention a few of them: 5M, 4M, 3M and can be incrementally set in 0.1M stages.
    While the UPS2 would no doubt do the job for me fine if I set it on PP setting (iii) 3M, I am wondering why there are no higher settings above 3M on this particular pump. In other words if one was replacing a 5/6M circ pump then one would tend to opt for the Wilo because of its higher PP settings.
    The Heat Merchants HM Pro 4-7 has 6 PP settings. Someone posted that this is a re badged DAB Evetron 4-7.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭John.G

Christmas came early and I purchased and installed the above a few days ago. To achieve the same performance as the Salmson I finally set it on a Proportional Pressure setting of 4M, the actual pump head at this setting with all rads and cylinder coil in service is 2.9M which gives a flow rate of 13 LPM with pump consumption of 17 to 19 watts. The temperature rise (DeltaT) through the 20 Kw oil fired boiler is 22C. I have 10 rads, 6 double and 4 single, 8 with TRVs, the other 2 are controlled by 1 room thermostat. I don’t see any big difference in the pump power, maybe a watt or two, even if I manually shut off 2 or 3 rads and even the cylinder coil motorized valve opening/closing doesn,t seem to have any big effect but its early days yet and I will keep monitoring.
    Based on these numbers it looks like the Grundfos UPS2 would not achieve this flow rate, 13 LPM @ 2.9M head, as the UPS’s maximum PP setting is 3M which would result in a flowrate of only ~ 7 LPM @ 1.6M pump head, this means that the UPS pump would have to be changed to one of its 3 fixed speed settings unless I am misinterpreting the grundfos pump curves. There must be literally dozens of CH systems here in Ireland like mine that require a pump head of 2.9/3.0M and its hard to imagine that all these pumps are running on fixed speed??.
    My savings based on a 240 day heating season with pump running 15 hrs/day and 18 watts vs the Salmson’s constant consumption of 46 watts is ~ 240*15*(46-18)/1000*0.18, €18.14/annum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

hi john g

by any chance do you have a relation called andy from Sligo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭John.G

jimf wrote: »
    hi john g

Not yet Jimf!.

John.G wrote: »
    Not yet Jimf!.

:P:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭agusta

hi john g

What pump do you have jim

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Tom44 wrote: »
    240 day heating season !
    15 hours a day running !

Are u in Lapland ?

I think (day numbers) it would average out at close to that across the country, though well reduced heat call hours at beginning and end of season.

Modern a and b rated housed would be different, but those would not be the average houses.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

agusta wrote: »
    What pump do you have jim

not sure dec will check when home from the pub at about 3.30 am and will post then

not that ye will understand :D:D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭agusta

not shure dec will check when home from the pub at about 3.30 am and will post then

not that ye will understand :D:D:D:D:D
    It looked like a Z rated pump the one i saw:),poor efficiency,maybe u upgraded it.ive a grundfos ups2 if ur interested.its not second hand:)

agusta wrote: »
    It looked like a Z rated pump the one i saw:),poor efficiency,maybe u upgraded it.ive a grundfos ups2 if ur interested.its not second hand:)

dont you know PUMP is a dirty word to me at the moment :p:p

Advertisement