Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike Maintenance Query

Options
  • 07-11-2018 8:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭

Hi, I was just wondering how bad is it if you left a chain on a bike and it stretched by over 1% using a check tool (4mm in the tools length)? It stretched over a cog in length over the length of the chain.
    I did 12,000km on the bike without replacing parts.
    I had always been getting my bike serviced/checked and was told it was fine everytime. I asked each time I had it serviced about the chain.
    I replaced the chain with a new one myself. It now slips under any load and makes a noise at the crank.
    I've ordered :
    Shimano XT M8000 11Sp Cassette and chain combo
    Shimano XT M8000 Double 11 Speed Chainset
    Would I need anything else to get the bike working again? I'm Not too familiar with the running of bikes but want to learn and do myself from now on.
    Also what tools would I need to replace these? Would prefer to get tools that will last like park tools or other high quality pieces.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

You need a chain whip and cassette lockring tool to change the cassette. Allen key for the chainset and a 15mm spanner for the pedals. Remember that the left pedal is on a left-hand thread so you turn the spanner the other way to remove it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

cdaly_ wrote: »
    You need a chain whip and cassette lockring tool to change the cassette. Allen key for the chainset and a 15mm spanner for the pedals. Remember that the left pedal is on a left-hand thread so you turn the spanner the other way to remove it.
    Thanks for the info, my parts arrived today so hopefully some shop in South Dublin will be open after 6 tonight so that I can go get the tools.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

deceit wrote: »
    Thanks for the info, my parts arrived today so hopefully some shop in South Dublin will be open after 6 tonight so that I can go get the tools.

All you need in one neat package:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/x-tools-bike-tool-kit-18-piece-1/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

07Lapierre wrote: »

Thanks for this, I ended up using this and did a bit of googling and found one in halfords, double the price but getting it quicker made it worth it.
    I've replaced the crank and the bike is not having the issue now.
    With the fact I bought the upgraded cassette, should I still replace this even though the existing one is fine?
    Edit:
    I just compared the two cassettes and the small ring looks different than the new cassette, gaps look bigger so I'm guessing its worn, will replace just to be safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

Check the teeth on the two plastic jockey wheels on the rear derailleur - if the chain was that worn, they will be worn out too. It won't stop you riding the bike, but the shifting will be poor if the jockey wheels have loads of lateral play and/or worn down teeth.

• Advertisement
Advertisement