Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Another beginner Deer hunting Thread

• 07-11-2018 9:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 231 ✭✭

So I’ve done a bit of searching through old posts and most of my questions have been answered already. As the title suggests I’ve an ambition to get into Deer hunting in the near future. It’s always been a dream of mine and I’m not getting any younger so maybe next year will be the year. I’ve a few questions that I can’t find any obvious answers to.
    I more than likely won’t be shooting Coillte land but I’d still like to do the HCAP course for experience, can you do the range test with a .223? It’s just something I could have done before getting a bigger caliber.
    How much is it to go out with a guide and do they take absolute beginners? I’m not particularly looking to shoot a deer myself but I’d like to see how the whole thing works from stalk to cleaning out the animal. I’d be happy for the guide to do the shooting as I wouldn’t have deer rifle yet, but I’d like to learn hands on how to gralloch the animal properly and how to check if it’s healthy and ok to eat.
    So the deer is shot and cleaned out, what exactly happens next when you get it home?
    What happens if you burst the bladder or stomach or **** up something while cleaning it out? Is all the meat ruined? You never see anything but textbook grallochs on the videos.
    Sorry for all the questions but it’s tough getting into something new when you have no one to teach you, I’ve a 3 year old son and hope one day I’ll be answering these questions for him myself.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Uinseann_16

Kran wrote: »
    So I’ve done a bit of searching through old posts and most of my questions have been answered already. As the title suggests I’ve an ambition to get into Deer hunting in the near future. It’s always been a dream of mine and I’m not getting any younger so maybe next year will be the year. I’ve a few questions that I can’t find any obvious answers to.
    I more than likely won’t be shooting Coillte land but I’d still like to do the HCAP course for experience, can you do the range test with a .223? It’s just something I could have done before getting a bigger caliber.
    How much is it to go out with a guide and do they take absolute beginners? I’m not particularly looking to shoot a deer myself but I’d like to see how the whole thing works from stalk to cleaning out the animal. I’d be happy for the guide to do the shooting as I wouldn’t have deer rifle yet, but I’d like to learn hands on how to gralloch the animal properly and how to check if it’s healthy and ok to eat.
    So the deer is shot and cleaned out, what exactly happens next when you get it home?
    What happens if you burst the bladder or stomach or **** up something while cleaning it out? Is all the meat ruined? You never see anything but textbook grallochs on the videos.
    Sorry for all the questions but it’s tough getting into something new when you have no one to teach you, I’ve a 3 year old son and hope one day I’ll be answering these questions for him myself.

The smell... lord christ its awful:D
    if you catch it quickly and get everything out and use water from a stream etc.. you can clean him out but its fairly difficult to ruin the deer during gralloch, If youve cleaned a rabbit you can clean a deer;)
    Not sure about the HCAP with a .223 never done it never will, :pac:
    Try to find someone whos local to you who shoots deer get chatting to landowners where theres deer chances are theyll know someone who does shoot them. Gun clubs etc.. can point you in the direction of someone who shoots deer in your locality polity ask them if you could accompany them on a stalk or two offer to do the dragging and buy the tea and coffee and most lads would be happy to bring someone whos interested in deer shooting out
    Best of luck lad,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Sika98k

The Wild Deer Association of Ireland run demonstrations a few times a year.
    They have a website and a Facebook page. Join up and join in and learn.
    You seem to want to go about it the right way.
    Maybe some stalker,with experience, local to you would be willing to take you out with them and show you what happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

https://www.bestpracticeguides.org.uk

A good bit of info to be found here, obviously ignore any legislation and certain species not relevant to our green isle...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,064 ✭✭✭clivej

A good bit of info to be found here, obviously ignore any legislation and certain species not relevant to our green isle...

^^^^^^^^^^ What he said ^^^^^^^^^^

Only 15 pounds and far better than the HCAP guide

clivej wrote: »

Or down load for free for a digital copy.....

• Advertisement

Or down load for free for a digital copy.....

Yes But far far nicer to have the loose leaf copy,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 231 ✭✭Kran

clivej wrote: »

It must be because I’m on mobile but I can’t see any book on sale there.

Kran wrote: »
    It must be because I’m on mobile but I can’t see any book on sale there.

I can't see where to order the book there now, maybe discontinued.

But in the downloads section you can print out PDF versions of the same book, or just read it

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭MikeSoys

my farm is beside a forest plantation. ive some bullocks still out (will be going into shed soon), BUT there is a wild stag deer that is with my cattle every night! once i turn up to check on my cattle i the morning i see the deer bolting it... and jump back into the forest (he seems lonely and stays with cattle each night) what should i do?

im not sure but think the deer was from a deer farm near by.... years ago ....and the stag was let loose due to the collapse in deep prices..way back then 2007?
    anyway any suggestions what should i do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 182 ✭✭Captainaxiom

If it’s the same fella 11+ yrs later he must be a fine sized animal and cute as a fox to not have been shot by now

• Advertisement

Deer among cattle is very common, where cattle feed dear will do the same, hence some cattle farmers don't like deer as they eat off the grass.
    Deer are territorial by way of returning to certain locations at various times of the year. Some places are known for stags others for hinds.
    Deer are primarily nocturnal, browsing at dawn and dusk so you will see them out in the open during darkness.
    If he is not causing damage or trouble leave him off. If you want him gone there's plenty here who'll sort it for you. Remember that your not allowed to scare him off with lamps or firing shots unless you have a section 42.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 284 ✭✭kunekunesika

Give a rough indication of your location and you should get a few pm s quickly from stalkers in your area willing to resolve the issue.

Advertisement