Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do I need floor levelling compound

• 07-11-2018 11:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭

I've taken up tiles in my kitchen and hallway.
    I've taken all the adhesive and compound up leaving exposed concrete.
    The concrete is quite flat.
    I would say the tile adhesive would easily cover the minor bumps.
    So do I need floor levelling compound?
    Also, do I need to waterproof the concrete or similar?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,384 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

andybookie wrote: »
    Thanks.

Without pictures you might as well be asking do I need a haircut.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭andybookie

Without pictures you might as well be asking do I need a haircut.

Well that's a little harsh.
    Are you saying that a photo of the concrete would allow you to equate the measurements of the lumps and bumps of the floor.
    Take it from me, I have restored the original concrete with only 1-3mm of bumps here and there max.
    An amount I would presume would be covered easily with adhesive rather than needing levelling compound.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Are you saying that a photo of the concrete would allow you to equate the measurements of the lumps and bumps of the floor.
    Take it from me, I have restored the original concrete with only 1-3mm of bumps here and there max.
    An amount I would presume would be covered easily with adhesive rather than needing levelling compound.

No youll be grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭howdoyouknow

andybookie wrote:
    I've taken up tiles in my kitchen and hallway. I've taken all the adhesive and compound up leaving exposed concrete. The concrete is quite flat. I would say the tile adhesive would easily cover the minor bumps. So do I need floor levelling compound? Also, do I need to waterproof the concrete or similar? Thanks.

If you'd problems with your old tiles coming loose or if the old adhesive lifted very easily you may need to apply a concrete sealer/primer. As for levelling the floor id say it will be ok unless you are planning on laying oversized tiles. The extra weight of an oversize tile may cause the adhesive to spread out from where you may be trying to use it as a filler

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

It would be cheaper to level it out with floor leveling compound and use minimal tile adhesive. It would also make the tiling job a lot easier.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭agusta

Thanks.
    Not waterproof but primer is required. Bal Apd is a good primer
    https://www.bal-adhesives.com/product-category/preparation/primers-sealers-admixtures/

If you'd problems with your old tiles coming loose or if the old adhesive lifted very easily you may need to apply a concrete sealer/primer. As for levelling the floor id say it will be ok unless you are planning on laying oversized tiles. The extra weight of an oversize tile may cause the adhesive to spread out from where you may be trying to use it as a filler

I'd agree about priming the floor but an extra large/heavy tile should not be displacing adhesive if the adhesive is mixed properly.

Larger tiles though are an awful lot more unforgiving of an uneven floor, if the aim is to do job properly the floor should be level to begin with.

Floors that are not level can still be tiled with large tiles and close joints without any lipping of the tiles afterwards, but it all depends on the type of imperfections and where they are on the floor.

If you meet a problem area that you have not have not been aware of half way through tiling the floor then you are up the creek without a paddle. Also people sometimes don't factor in that any cost of leveling compound will be off set by saving money on adhesive.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

It would be cheaper to level it out with floor leveling compound and use minimal tile adhesive. It would also make the tiling job a lot easier.

It is probably cost neutral to use the leveling compound if labor costs are not a factor and you are dead right it will the job an awful lot easier but I wouldn't recommend using minimal tile adhesive.

Personally I think a medium to thicker bed of adhesive makes for a better job.

Why do you say it would make it easier. Leveling compound is an extra job and as a beginner to DIY it is a job if I didn't need to do, then probably worth skipping. Thanks for the reply.

andybookie wrote:
    I've taken up tiles in my kitchen and hallway. I've taken all the adhesive and compound up leaving exposed concrete. The concrete is quite flat. I would say the tile adhesive would easily cover the minor bumps. So do I need floor levelling compound? Also, do I need to waterproof the concrete or similar? Thanks.

The tiles and adhesive were a b*tch to get up. The tiles were are using won't be too big, probably 60cm x 60cm.

• Advertisement

I'd agree about priming the floor but an extra large/heavy tile should not be displacing adhesive if the adhesive is mixed properly.

Larger tiles though are an awful lot more unforgiving of an uneven floor, if the aim is to do job properly the floor should be level to begin with.

Floors that are not level can still be tiled with large tiles and close joints without any lipping of the tiles afterwards, but it all depends on the type of imperfections and where they are on the floor.

If you meet a problem area that you have not have not been aware of half way through tiling the floor then you are up the creek without a paddle. Also people sometimes don't factor in that any cost of leveling compound will be off set by saving money on adhesive.
    That's a factor I hadn't considered, thanks.

The tiles and adhesive were a b*tch to get up. The tiles were are using won't be too big, probably 60cm x 60cm.

They are a large tile, take it from me despite what most people think large tiles are a lot more difficult to lay than average sized ones.
    If you have never tiled a floor before then it will be quite a challenge to do it properly.
    Even using "self levelling" compound is not as easy as the name suggests.
    You're probably going to be spending a lot of money on this job, think hard and prepare well before you start it as you'll be looking at the tiles a long time.

Advertisement