Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Boards.ie Explainer: FTTH and You

Options

Comments

I put together a spreadsheet with some of the current offers. It might help someone. I'm still unsure of who to go with.

480754.PNG

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

ronoc wrote: »
    I put together a spreadsheet with some of the current offers. It might help someone. I'm still unsure of who to go with.

You are missing quite a few there.

I don't see Airwire, Net1 nor Pure Telecom. Westnet I could understand you'd exclude, as they only service regionally, but at least all the national ones should be in there.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 14,017 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

480754.PNG

Eir charge different prices to new eir customers than they do to existing customers moving to FTTH.
    Should that not be reflected in this?

Also what is included in these 'bundles'?
    They are not all the same.

Eir charge different prices to new eir customers than they do to existing customers moving to FTTH.
    Should that not be reflected in this?

Correct. I think it's 10 EUR more per month, if you're an existing customer.

The same with Vodafone. They won't give you the discounted 6 months, if you are an existing customer.

/M

Marlow wrote: »

You are missing quite a few there.

I don't see Airwire, Net1 nor Pure Telecom. Westnet I could understand you'd exclude, as they only service regionally, but at least all the national ones should be in there.

/M

Feel free to contribute!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 La_Ana

eir 300K / NBP premises

If you are in a new build home within a covered area, but without an Eircode, you must first get an Eircode. You then can either try to contact a helpful ISP to get added or it may also be possible to contact fibrepower@openeir.ie to request addition to the APQ file (list of passed Eircodes). If you are getting nowhere with the above try emailing Broadband@DCCAE.gov.ie as the contract eir signed with the Government states that new build homes must be added in a timely fashion.

Thanks for all the info in this thread, it's really helpful.

I'm just wondering what is considered 'timely' in getting a new build added to the APQ file. After months of chasing Eircode/An Post, I finally got my Eircode in the last two weeks. But now I need OpenEir to add it to the APQ file. I've been in touch with them and they said their next update from Eircode is due in August and they can't do anything until then. I've sent them my Eircode, those of the neighbouring houses that have FTTH and the code on the DP, but to no avail.

Will contacting Broadband@DCCAE.gov.ie achieve anything, or is a three-month wait considered 'timely'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

La_Ana wrote: »
    Thanks for all the info in this thread, it's really helpful.

I'm just wondering what is considered 'timely' in getting a new build added to the APQ file. After months of chasing Eircode/An Post, I finally got my Eircode in the last two weeks. But now I need OpenEir to add it to the APQ file. I've been in touch with them and they said their next update from Eircode is due in August and they can't do anything until then. I've sent them my Eircode, those of the neighbouring houses that have FTTH and the code on the DP, but to no avail.

Will contacting Broadband@DCCAE.gov.ie achieve anything, or is a three-month wait considered 'timely'?

Timely is not defined unfortunately. It couldn't hurt to email DCCAE to see what their opinion is. Also some people have had success by contacting smaller ISPs who may have contacts within open eir. Airwire, Digiweb and Westnet post here and give good service. It might be worth your while contacting them and explaining your situation to see if they can speed the process up. Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Just discovered this thread, great stuff folks, interesting technical stuff too.

I've a question re: contracts/changing providers etc.
    I'm with eir, on a 150 plan, out of my 18 mth contract soon, and starting to shop around. Have to get in touch with someone in eir during the week (they don't do weekends apparently), but Vodafone looks attractive, @25/50e per month (first6/last6) on a 12 month contract.

Anyone experience of changing? Any dip in performance? I've found eir very reliable, and have no reason to change apart from price (currently over 90e/mth). I even had a breakdown, where a neighbour hit and broke the cable, and they responded very quickly. What's Vodafone like in breakdowns?

Thanks in advance

I haven't switched but theoretically the fault fixing should be the same for all ISPs. It all goes to open eir who fix it themselves, use KN or another contractor.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

I haven't switched but theoretically the fault fixing should be the same for all ISPs. It all goes to open eir who fix it themselves, use KN or another contractor.

How does that work in practice? Kn did the installation, cowboys was my impression. 4 different crews for a straightforward survey and install, and 3 of them clueless, including one lad who kept talking about running a wire to the chimney, when they are not allowed climb onto roofs!!

• Advertisement

How does that work in practice? Kn did the installation, cowboys was my impression. 4 different crews for a straightforward survey and install, and 3 of them clueless, including one lad who kept talking about running a wire to the chimney, when they are not allowed climb onto roofs!!

I'm not sure how it works in practice. I've never had a fault, thankfully. I had no complaints with my KN installation. They were done within an hour. I'm sure, like any organisation, that there is good and bad among the staff.

The access network belongs to OpenEIR. So the provider raises the fault with OpenEIR after they have done the diagnostics with the customer and as much diagnostics, as they can do on their own side and through the tools they are provided with.

And no .. it's not always KN, that fixed the problem. It really depends on what sort of a problem it is. OpenEIR makes the decision on what team to schedule based on the type of fault that it is and who is available.

Either way, form or shape: if you are on a product supplied through the OpenEIR network, it is OpenEIR that mends physical problems. Either them or their contractors.

Having said that .. a lot of the time, the engineers fixing issues as not the same as the ones installing broadband. Different training.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Within 28 days of install KN have to do any repairs free for OE.

Some areas have no FST coverage and are entirely contracted out. Others are a mix like you say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

whats the situation with the installation fee if you already have FTTH and are switching providers. Do you need to pay it again to the new provider?

whats the situation with the installation fee if you already have FTTH and are switching providers. Do you need to pay it again to the new provider?

It depends on whether you are on the open eir network or SIRO. Transfers between providers on open eir are more expensive to the ISP so they may choose to pass some of this on to the customer. Usually it is phrased as an "activation fee". You would need to clarify with the new ISP whether there is such a fee and if so what it is.

€99 to switch to Airwire unless you go for an 18 month contract ...

[HTML]Provider move / Existing fibre line
    6 months €99.00 From €95.00
    12 months €99.00 Free router
    18 months Free Free router[/HTML]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

€99 to switch to Airwire unless you go for an 18 month contract ... and yes I had already paid Eir for that ..... damn ComReg!

[HTML]Provider move / Existing fibre line
    6 months €99.00 From €95.00
    12 months €99.00 Free router
    18 months Free Free router[/HTML]

Vodafone seem to be giving free installation on a 12 month.
    My eir contract is up this month.

Never heard of airwire until looking here tonight.
    Is there an additional charge for the router?

Edit:I see it's free on a 12 month contract :)

Vodafone seem to be giving free installation on a 12 month.
    My eir contract is up this month.

Never heard of airwire until looking here tonight.
    Is there an additional charge for the router?

Edit:I see it's free on a 12 month contract :)

You need to check if that is FTTH or FTTC from Vodfone .....

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Shougeki

So I looked into getting Fibre last year, and was mailed back by someone who was lets say "less than helpful".

Short version. There is multiple cabinets within 5m walking distance of the house, all that are FTTC enabled. However he has told me I am being fed from a cabinet miles away in Dun Laoighre. He said anything over 1.5k mans the FTTC upgrade isnt applicable.

Anything I can do? Is it possible to get moved to a different cabinet? We currently dont use any phone line TBH.

Shougeki wrote: »
    Anything I can do? Is it possible to get moved to a different cabinet? We currently dont use any phone line TBH.

OpenEIR has no process in which you can be changed from one cabinet to another. Full stop.

They are also not going to chance anything, because they're not rolling FTTH out in the urban areas over the next couple years.

And yes .. 2km is max for VDSL, but it's basically crap at anything over 1.2km.

/M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 pigletpetr

Has anyone used Sky as a provider for FTTH? According to the top post they use Sky Q. If someone already uses it can you tell if it uses PPPoE with username and password. Is it possible to get these details and replace Q it with your router? Or may be Sky Q is super good?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

pigletpetr wrote: »
    Has anyone used Sky as a provider for FTTH? According to the top post they use Sky Q. If someone already uses it can you tell if it uses PPPoE with username and password. Is it possible to get these details and replace Q it with your router? Or may be Sky Q is super good?

Interested in this also, how much are they charging including TV?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,800 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

well impressed that throughout the storm Atiyah our FTTH connection stayed working throughout - you know like it does make you wonder seeing all the fibre optic cables strung from post to post overground and blowing in the wind . I'm impressed.

pigletpetr wrote: »

.... but what has Sky Q (a satellite channel provision system) got to do with FTTH?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

well impressed that throughout the storm Atiyah our FTTH connection stayed working throughout - you know like it does make you wonder seeing all the fibre optic cables strung from post to post overground and blowing in the wind . I'm impressed.

I'd say the new fibre is reinforced much better than older copper. But even my regular cable line that takes a longer route than my fibre one has lasted over 30 years without a problem. Maybe a slight degradation of signal over the years but that's because its copper.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,800 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

tuxy wrote: »
    I'd say the new fibre is reinforced much better than older copper. But even my regular cable line that takes a longer route than my fibre one has lasted over 30 years without a problem. Maybe a slight degradation of signal over the years but that's because its copper.

what is the most damaging to copper, is it oxidisation is it? - and what is that light green corrosion you get around copper telephone lines?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,137 ✭✭✭CoBo55

.... but what has Sky Q (a satellite channel provision system) got to do with FTTH?

They're reselling siro which is ftth.

CoBo55 wrote: »
    They're reselling siro which is ftth.

Yes, Sky are selling service on fibre, but that has nothing to do with Sky Q their satellite channel service. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,137 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Yes, Sky are selling service on fibre, but that has nothing to do with Sky Q their satellite channel service. :confused:

Stop being so pedantic, someone with half a brain knows that they're enquiring whether the Q router can be replaced with a different router.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 pigletpetr

I called it Sky Q. I don't know what the name of their router (Sky Hub, Sky Q, Sky something).

Advertisement