Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How to rent a car with an unspent driving conviction?

Options
  • 08-11-2018 4:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hey everyone!

I was disqualified from driving 5 years ago and for the past two years I have been able to drive again though I haven't needed to and getting insurance would cost quite a lot. I would like to rent a car in the ROI sometimes but as far as I know there are no rental agencies that will take the chance on someone with an unspent driving conviction. Does anyone know of anywhere that will?
    Two more years and it will be spent but for now, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I have a full license, I have it over 10 years.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,007 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

The car sharing service GoCar doesn't seem to mention anything about unspent driving convictions in it's T&Cs. It does mention that licences with penalty points will only be accepted at their discretion:

https://www.gocar.ie/terms-of-use/
    Drivers authorised by GoCar at time of sign up must be at least 21 years of age and may use the vehicles provided by GoCar CarSharing. Authorised drivers must be in possession of a full driving license for two years, if the licence validity is less than two years, authorisation is at GoCar CarSharings discretion. The license must meet the legal requirements for driving the respective vehicle and has been issued by one of the following countries: (http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/motoring_1/driver_licensing/exchanging_foreign_driving_permit.html). Acceptance of any licences with penalty points are subject to GoCar CarSharings discretion.

It does also mention that you have to abide by the "Insurance Terms of the Vehicle insurer", which are only available to view in their office (which sounds dubious to me), so maybe there's some provision in that document.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭V8 Interceptor

How do you mean unspent conviction? I thought once you served your time that's it?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,007 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

How do you mean unspent conviction? I thought once you served your time that's it?

Citizens Information: Spent convictions
    The convictions which may be regarded as spent after 7 years are set out in Section 5 of the Act. They are:

All convictions in the District Court for motoring offences except for convictions for dangerous driving which are limited to a single conviction
    All convictions in the District Court for minor public order offences
    A single conviction (other than a motoring or public order offence) in the District or Circuit Court which resulted in a term of imprisonment of 12 months or less (or a fine)

Is that why insurance companies don't ask for no claims etc for more than 6 or 7 years?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 GeneralInter

phutyle wrote: »
    The car sharing service GoCar doesn't seem to mention anything about unspent driving convictions in it's T&Cs. It does mention that licences with penalty points will only be accepted at their discretion:

It does also mention that you have to abide by the "Insurance Terms of the Vehicle insurer", which are only available to view in their office (which sounds dubious to me), so maybe there's some provision in that document.

Thanks a lot for this. I suspect that the "Insurance terms of the vehicle Insurer" may be more specific but I will definitely look into it.

V8 -> The reason this provision was brought in was Ireland has many drivers that even after 10 years would have had to tell their insurance company about the conviction, leading to either finding it impossible to afford insurance or just generally higher insurance. It gives all those who have made one mistake a second chance after 7 years(Two convictions and you will still by law have to inform the insurance company).

Incidentally in the UK it is 5 years. This may allow me to rent a car in Belfast, will have to look into it.

• Advertisement

I see General. A guy posted here recently that he'd had a previous disqualification (drink driving I think) but when getting insurance he just didn't tell them. I know he would therefore not be legally insured but wouldn't your insurance Company know if you'd had such a disqualification in the last 7 years when you give them your Licence number?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 GeneralInter

I see General. A guy posted here recently that he'd had a previous disqualification (drink driving I think) but when getting insurance he just didn't tell them. I know he would therefore not be legally insured but wouldn't your insurance Company know if you'd had such a disqualification in the last 7 years when you give them your Licence number?

It's very possible that an insurance company could miss this fact when insuring but you can bet they would not miss it if the time came that they had to pay out. Driving after lying to an insurance company is almost like driving without insurance, you are pretty much not insured.

Still waiting on a reply from a rental service in Belfast, I will come back with the result if I get a reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭dingding

They may not check until you have an accident and then cancel the policy.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

It's very possible that an insurance company could miss this fact when insuring but you can bet they would not miss it if the time came that they had to pay out. Driving after lying to an insurance company is almost like driving without insurance, you are pretty much not insured.

Still waiting on a reply from a rental service in Belfast, I will come back with the result if I get a reply.
    You will find that you actually are uninsured.

dingding wrote: »
    They may not check until you have an accident and then cancel the policy.

But you know when you give your licence number when taking out a policy? When they put that into their system does it not automatically show up any endorsements etc?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

But you know when you give your licence number when taking out a policy? When they put that into their system does it not automatically show up any endorsements etc?

It should but might not.

It'd be no defense for blatant non disclosure regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

While a driving conviction becomes spent, AFAIK you'd always have to disclose that insurance was cancelled on you (for thouse suggesting keeping quiet about the conviction). It's simply not worth the risk.

Advertisement