Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electricians Bill? Am I being ripped off?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Bill nye

The letting agent should have a handy man for this kind of work.

As others have said, the electrician didn't rip you off. He shouldn't have been called tho. A handy man can install the CO alarms and replace batteries in the smoke alarms. I'd be having a go at the agent over the price. Completely wrong person called for the job and they priced accordingly for their services. €60 for two batteries tho, jesus wept! I'm not advocating the cheap batteries in dealz etc, but you could get two decent batteries for the smoke alarm for €10 and have change out of that. Only a few seconds to replace and test the alarm afterwards.

crusier wrote: »
    Rip off Ireland, I reckon the agent and the electrician have a mini scam going with both their pockets being lined.

Not at all what I would think. This won't line the agents pockets as it's a proper receipted job with tax being declared.

It's most likely just the agent not caring as it's not their money. They didn't bother to get a handyman to install but went with the wrong service provider. As someone else said already, would they call a plumber to change the light bulbs or paint a room?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

This is a "Handy-Man" job only.

No need for an electrician.

I'd be questioning the agent with a view to changing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

One thing to add fo t he OP is that the work is tax deductible, so make sure to account for it when doing your taxes.

Assuming you're being screwed by the Government at your marginal tax rate like most honest landlords, then it'll only really cost you half.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭crusier

Bill nye wrote:
    Not at all what I would think. This won't line the agents pockets as it's a proper receipted job with tax being declared.

Cashback to agent?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

sydthebeat wrote: »
    thats quite a low hourly rate for any professional with the usual overheads of staff, insurance, rent etc

our office hourly rate is €80 min

I meant from the customer’s point of view.

I am dealing with around 30 skilled workers on site at present ranging from electricians to supervisors to technicians and none are being charged at anything close to €80 per hour. Automation engineers are a different story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭Thomyokk

Agent prob getting a kickback from his preferred electrician

That's business though

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

OP you said initially that they are connected to the existing system

It appears as if you described two standalone units.

It does appear pricy for two battery units, but it would appear as if a fully kitted out FM team did the work. They are expensive to keep on the road. You probably got a tradesman, apprentice and a van. Someone was paid to raise the order and someone was paid to check the supplier invoice, raise the client invoice and chase the client for a few months for the money.

So possibly just handy for the agent, but expensive for you.

At the end of the day people are great at spending other people's money.

The way to get this type of job complete for 50 euro is to do it yourself.

crusier wrote: »
    Cashback to agent?

€225 from a fully certed electrician on a callout job including vat etc will not leave a lot left over for cashback on this particular job. Price of a few pints maybe.

In saying that, it could be a regular thing using this electrician for jobs like this so in the long run you could have a point as obv there would be bigger jobs.

In the short term, the agent could lose the OP as a client over it. I wouldn't trust an agent who can't figure what kind of tradesman to use for small jobs and is happy to throw my cash away without consulting me.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,461 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Wait till a light bulb needs changing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Wait till a light bulb needs changing!

How many Sparks does it need......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

How many Sparks does it need......

It depends. Some say they don`t exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭Cerco

Op, I would advise you to read the contract you signed with the agent. They may have permission already to implement items that are required in a rental property. They would be acting in your interest.

Having said that I would have expected them to request your permission in advance and provide a rough costing.

I would query the price of the batteries and indeed ask for more details on the devices fitted. You may not reduce this bill but you will let them know that you are going to look for greater detail and scrutiny of expenses paid on your behalf.

The expense may be quite in order but it is no harm to raise the questions and if legitimate then the agent should have no trouble in providing the answers, after all they are your agent and working for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Bigus

In fairness we don't know if the alarms are hard wired with a back up battery, a lot of certified ones are wired to the mains not just simple 9v batteries.
    Also for €225 everybody's @rsé; is covered from a liability point of view (electrian is qualified regards number of alarms req and position regarding current legislation)in the event of a disaster and subsequent litigation so perhaps this is where any value is, to,the landlord.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Bigus wrote: »
    In fairness we don't know if the alarms are hard wired with a back up battery

The initial post implied that it was hard wired.

2011 wrote: »

I don’t see this in the post, maybe I am missing something?

Cerco wrote: »
    I don’t see this in the post, maybe I am missing something?

See bit in bold:
    Suzie431 wrote: »
    How much is a reasonable amount to pay to have a Carbon Monoxide Alarm supplied and fitted and two new batteries supplied and fitted to existing smoke alarms. I’ve been charged €225. Just wondering if I’ve been ripped off??

two new batteries were supplied and fitted to existing smoke alarms....
    Still don’t see how this implies hard wiring??..??

• Registered Users Posts: 23,551 ✭✭✭✭ted1

The house is a rented property i am an accidental landlord and the agent just arranged it told me it was a legal requirement and took the money out of the rent.

So the agent charged you, not the sparks.

Fire the agent and get s new one or do it yourself

See bit in bold:

As pointed out, that was for 2 batteries to replace existing smoke alarms.

OP also posted that the new units are screw to ceiling type.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that. Really appreciate it. The breakdown on the bill before VAT was:
    €80 call out
    €30 each for the batteries
    €30 each for two CM alarms.
    The Carbon Monoxide alarms are the screw to the ceiling kind. I don’t begrudge the electrician his money at all I too trained hard for my trade. I’m just unfamiliar with this type of work and checking if it’s expensive for what was done. The house is being looked after by an agent as it is being rented out. The agent took the money out of the rent so I’m just trying to make sure I’m not being mugged over is all. ðŸ‘

Bolded the important bit

Are you implying that because they are screwed to the ceiling they are hard wired?

When reading the Op’s Post I assumed they were hard wired, particularly when it involved an electrician. Only when bogus raised the question did I re-read it and note no indication of hard wiring.
    This was a job for a handyman and seems way, way overpriced.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

Bruthal wrote: »
    It depends. Some say they don`t exist.

Indeed they don't - they're actually lamps.

Bill nye wrote: »
    As pointed out, that was for 2 batteries to replace existing smoke alarms.

OP also posted that the new units are screw to ceiling type.

I misread, my bad!

I misread, my bad!

Most people made the same mistake on reading first post to be fair, me included. Only in a later post was it clarified.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

How much is a reasonable amount to pay to have a Carbon Monoxide Alarm supplied and fitted and two new batteries supplied and fitted to existing smoke alarms. I’ve been charged €225. Just wondering if I’ve been ripped off??

Depends on what was fitted, you could have been supplied something like

https://www.homesafetyshop.ie/kidde-10-year-alarm-safety-pack.html

€99 retail but lithium battery for supposed 10 year life

Spook_ie wrote: »
    Depends on what was fitted, you could have been supplied something like

https://www.homesafetyshop.ie/kidde-10-year-alarm-safety-pack.html

€99 retail but lithium battery for supposed 10 year life

They got an itemised bill.
    €30 for each battery for a smoke alarm. The smoke alarm was already in place. Just a battery for each smoke alarm.

€30 each for a new CM alarm of which there was 2.

€80 call out fee - This is very reasonable for an electrician. Maybe he felt bad about prices so charged the lowest he could?

https://www.homesafetyshop.ie/firehawk-10-year-battery-carbon-monoxide-alarm.html

The same site as Spook I saw this, maybe this was supplied.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Bill nye wrote: »
    https://www.homesafetyshop.ie/firehawk-10-year-battery-carbon-monoxide-alarm.html

The same site as Spook I saw this, maybe this was supplied.

Having read through to the end of the thread, probably not as bill said €30 for alarms €80 call out etc. Sounds expensive enough

Edit sorry misread your post, yeah maybe something along those lines

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Risteard81 wrote: »
    Indeed they don't - they're actually lamps.

Electrical education seems to have done wonders for the understanding of language history, use, and evolution there.

Although maybe "light bulb" was a foreign term as a child also.

Google is a term not in use in the 80s. Is it a correct term? Is it in English dictionaries? Is light bulb? I dont have one to check.

Anyway, we dont re bulb luminaires hey....

Advertisement