Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off season strenght and conditioning

• 08-11-2018 9:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭

Hi all,
    Have any of you wonderful people got suggestion for off season strenght training.
    The best exercises and weights to be doing and what to stay clear of.
    I have signed up to do dun laoghaire 70.3 again in late August so I have plenty of time .
    thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

dickidy wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Have any of you wonderful people got suggestion for off season strenght training.
    The best exercises and weights to be doing and what to stay clear of.
    I have signed up to do dun laoghaire 70.3 again in late August so I have plenty of time .
    thanks in advance

How old are you?
    How much do you train?
    Where are your weaknesses?

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭dickidy

hi Peter,
    I am 37 and in the gym 4 times a week. i try to swim twice and get to the gym 3 times.
    My weakness id say would be in order swimming , cycling then running.
    dun laoghaire 70.3 times were swim 54 bike 3h 33 run 1h 55
    i can do a half marathon in 1:31 so think i pushed to hard on the bike
    . thanks perter

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

dickidy wrote: »
    hi Peter,
    I am 37 and in the gym 4 times a week. i try to swim twice and get to the gym 3 times.
    My weakness id say would be in order swimming , cycling then running.
    dun laoghaire 70.3 times were swim 54 bike 3h 33 run 1h 55
    i can do a half marathon in 1:31 so think i pushed to hard on the bike
    . thanks perter

Out of those five sessions, I'd advise swimming four times and one trip to the gym. And unless you've had injuries before arising from a lack of S & C, seeing as swimming is your biggest weakness, I don't think there would much wrong with swimming five times, and just warming up with chords beforehand to take care of S & C.

In giving that advice, I'm assuming that your performance in triathlon is more important to you than the gym work.

Yes its more aimed at tri performance then anything. i was aiming at doing a lots of gym work until x mas then change the gym to the pool and turbo trainer and just do a few 20min S & C a few times a week
    thanks again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,968 ✭✭✭griffin100

You’ll really struggle to see swim improvements off two sessions a week. A third session will make a big difference and I’d always say you need a minimum of three swims a week just to stand still - a fourth swim will be ideal and will generate improvements but a 54 min HIM suggests some low hanging fruit in improving your stroke so if I weee you I’d try and make the 3rd / 4th session a coaches one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

This is from a few years ago, but popped up on my Facebook feed after my earlier post here. It's pertinent to this thread. Big Brother is obviously watching.

http://blog.trisutto.com/strength-training-for-triathlon-2/

zico10 wrote: »
    This is from a few years ago, but popped up on my Facebook feed after my earlier post here. It's pertinent to this thread. Big Brother is obviously watching.

http://blog.trisutto.com/strength-training-for-triathlon-2/

Of course there is other people that do get results with strenght and conditiong work
    But what tends to be universal is that good triathletes swim bike and run a lot for many years and very consistently and " off season" is usually 2-3 weeks
    What a lot is depends but certainly no good triathletes does one sport only twice a week unless they used to swim at or close to Nat level when young. And those often get away with even less.

I'm to old to get good. Just hoping to get better.

same principle ... if you want to get better....

you cant get better with 2 swims ....

you dont have time to train more use the time where it helps you the most .

nobody can see you so we dont know if oyu have weakensses that merit strenght training.

but what we can tell you is that if you want to better 2 times is not the way to do it .

what you can do is to add a bit of core work after the swim

or before you run ( muscle activation)

if you are a 100m swimmer or a 1 k track cyclist or 100m spriinter strenght work is cruscial for results as you need max power

for enduracne sport you need to met some light parameters ( to be honest I fail them pretty much all , and the only ones i work on is the plank and single leg squads which i do when i have cigarett breaks ) i am a disgrace when i go to the gym . and the stuff that would help high intesty low reps for cycling my body dosnt want to do .
    and at 43 i do start to feel iam losing muscles and iam getting slower over shorter stuff ( 5 k road racing for instance 50 meter sprnts in the pool ) but over longer stuff it dosnt matter iam not getting slower.

what zico said is the the best advice you can get from somebody that hasnt seen you .

Thanks Peter and everyone
    From all the feed back it's pretty conclusive that more time in the pool and less in the gym. I will hit the pool more and add a small bit of gym work after.
    Cheers folks

• Advertisement

https://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl=en&as_sdt=0,5&as_ylo=2014&q=does+strength+work+improve+endurance+performance

now you have a base understanding that swimming improves swimming lol

have a look at the above.

Advertisement