Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My electricity meter is running 7 minutes slow!

Options
  • 08-11-2018 12:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

as above.   It's no big deal, and it means that I have cheap night rate electricity for 7 more minutes every morning, which gives me time to boil the kettle and make the toast!  - but is it within the acceptable margin of error for these devices?   FYI the meter is about 7 years old.

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 361 Verified rep Electric Ireland: Aoife

Hi Squatter, 

Thank you for getting in touch.

A difference of less than two hours on the time clock would not have much impact on your bill.

If there was a bigger discrepancy in the time, a visit from ESB Networks would be required. This can be done by calling our colleagues on 1850 372 372 or 01 8529534.

Should you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks, 
    Aoife

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭Gooser14

Hi Squatter, 

Thank you for getting in touch.

A difference of less than two hours on the time clock would not have much impact on your bill.

If there was a bigger discrepancy in the time, a visit from ESB Networks would be required. This can be done by calling our colleagues on 1850 372 372 or 01 8529534.

Should you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks, 
    Aoife
    Can you please explain how a difference of less than two hours on the time clock would not have much impact on ones bill.

If I am putting my washing machine & drier on at 23:00 hrs (winter time) but the clock is out by 90 minutes (cheaper rate not activating until 00:30 hrs) then this is going to have a big impact on my bill.  Even if the clock is only out by 15 or 30 minutes it will have an impact on my bill over the billing period of 2 months.

Hi Gooser14,

We regret any confusion.

The customer will still be able to avail of the cheaper rate for the same length of time. For example, if the cheaper rate is kicking in 30 minutes later than it should, this will mean that the lower unit rate will not go off until 30 minutes later also. If the cheaper rate is kicking in earlier than it should, similarly the customer can avail of the cheaper rate earlier than normal. The only exception to this is  where a time switch is stuck on day or night only. 

If there is a difference of two hours or more, it is recommended to get the time clock adjusted as soon as possible.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

Thanks, 
    Aoife

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭Gooser14

Hi Gooser14,

We regret any confusion.

The customer will still be able to avail of the cheaper rate for the same length of time. For example, if the cheaper rate is kicking in 30 minutes later than it should, this will mean that the lower unit rate will not go off until 30 minutes later also. If the cheaper rate is kicking in earlier than it should, similarly the customer can avail of the cheaper rate earlier than normal. The only exception to this is  where a time switch is stuck on day or night only. 

If there is a difference of two hours or more, it is recommended to get the time clock adjusted as soon as possible.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

Thanks, 
    Aoife
    But if the user isn't aware that the clock is not showing the correct time & is putting on high use items then they could be paying the full rate when they think they are getting the lower rate.  It is therefore important that the user checks the clock for accuracy and adjusts the put on times accordingly. 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

We regret any confusion.

The only problem that I have with that logic is that my heat pump (which, unlike my electricity meter, has an accurate time clock) is set to start up at 23.00 every evening -  not at 23.07 - and to switch off at 08.00, not at 08.07!

So, because Electric Ireland can't supply me with an an accurate meter, I'm being ripped off for the first 7 minutes of my heating cycle every night - and that's the most expensive time!

But looking on the bright side, I can boil my kettle and make my porridge and toast up to 08.08 every morning, which is an absolutely fantastic bonus - or it would be, if I got up before 08.15! 

:confused:

• Advertisement

Hi Squatter, 

Thank you for your reply.

As we do not have the details of your home's appliances, we can only provide general information here. In many cases, the biggest users of electricity are storage heaters which work off the time clock. In most cases, the time clock being slightly out would have little impact on the bill. The extra time in the morning would usually offset the delay.

You can, however, contact our colleagues on 1850 372 372 to request an appointment to fix the time clock. They are available from 8am to 8pm. Just explain to them that you have a heat pump and are concerned about the amount of usage that is being charged at the higher rate. 

If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks, 
    Aoife

Advertisement