Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike Rental France - Insurance

Options
  • 08-11-2018 2:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭

Hi Folks,
    Heading back again to France(Bourg d'oisian) next june and contemplating whether its better to bring my own bike this time or rent.

Had no issue with the rental bike last year but had to sign a waiver that in the event of damaging the bike would have to pay out €2500...

A few questions.

1) is this the norm for bike rentals?

2) do they ever offer a extra fee that covers bike insurance?

3) is there anyway i can take out insurance for a rental bike? Would travel insurance cover it..

Thanks a mill
    Mick

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭eeimcaw

Wrong forum, mods any chance can move to Cycling. Thanks Mick.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

When renting in Majorca there's usually a liability waiver for a couple of euro extra. 2500 is mad considering it's probably the full value of the bike. - Like Hertz demanding 30,000 euro deposit for your family car rental.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭circler

I asked a couple of travel insurers (Chill and some other one) about having the bike covered – nope. They'll insure you against personal accident but not the bike itself.

I asked the bike hire companies (three of them) do they offer any insurance options. Nope. It's maddening. One shop I asked said they'd never had a road bike returned in damaged condition. They must be open 4/5 years at this stage. If they sold insurance per ride at something like €10 per day they'd be quids in. I would have paid €25 so I wouldn't have to worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭eeimcaw

Last year the owner of the shop we rent off in bourg d'oisian told us that there was a cyclist who rented a bike off him was air lighted off a climb after coming down on the decent so i'm sure his bike was gone, was a morning where there had been rain and the decent were bit greasy...

Would happily pay the extra few quid a day so wouldn't have to worry about it..

Advertisement