Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blocks for garden shed base

Options
  • 08-11-2018 5:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭

HI

I have a garden shed coming the week after next and will need blocks for the base of it.

Silly question, can anyone recommend where I could buy some? I am based in Swords, would woodies / B&Q sell them? I can't seem to see this on their websites.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭damon5

Peter Galvin builders providers in swords town https://www.goldenpages.ie/peter-galvin-ltd-swords/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭standardg60

There's no such thing as silly questions, only silly answers.
    If you can you're better off placing and levelling the blocks yourself, as the shed suppliers tend to just throw them down and then use any amount of slivers of timber to level up, and it's safe to say I've seen some pretty extreme examples of this!
    Blocks should be placed approx two feet apart, so for example an 8x6 shed will require 12, more if the site is uneven. Begin by placing the first block (or two) on the lowest part of the site and then dig into the soil to level up the rest.
    The guys who deliver and erect the sheds love nothing better than to see this already done, so will put more time and care into erecting your shed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Blocks should be placed approx two feet apart, so for example an 8x6 shed will require 12, more if the site is uneven. Begin by placing the first block (or two)
    "Approx 2 feet"? Absolute nonsense.

OP would have find out the spacing of the support timbers under the floorboards, and then place the blocks in lines to match that spacing.
    Otherwise that's a lot of digging and levelling work done for nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

There's no such thing as silly questions, only silly answers.
    Yep, you're right about that!

recedite wrote: »
    "Approx 2 feet"? Absolute nonsense.

OP would have find out the spacing of the support timbers under the floorboards, and then place the blocks in lines to match that spacing.
    Otherwise that's a lot of digging and levelling work done for nothing.

Yep as usual you're proving you know nothing about nothing. Timber battens are always placed across the blocks first for the floor to sit on.
    But feel free to find other posts I've made that you want to try to deliberately ridicule out of pure spite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭guitarhappy

I've been married to the same woman for 35 years and this sounds very familiar to me.
    Carry on...

I've been married to the same woman for 35 years and this sounds very familiar to me.
    Carry on...

☺️
    Much ado about nothing.
    I'm happy to leave it at that if recidite is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Yep as usual you're proving you know nothing about nothing. Timber battens are always placed across the blocks first for the floor to sit on.
    But feel free to find other posts I've made that you want to try to deliberately ridicule out of pure spite.

Someone who doesn't know what he is talking about getting upset when he's called out on it?

The timber cross battens are built into the shed base on all the standard designs. There may look to be a lot of different shed designs but the ones you buy all use virtually the same set of standards. To be able to move the base sections around (they can be very big and heavy) battens are put across below the joists in the same direction of the floorboards so you have an arrangement a bit like on a close boarded pallet for each base section. Only the smallest or really poor cheap designs don't have cross battens built into the base.

Depending on the cheapness of the shed and its size the dimensions of the cross battens and their placing will vary. Because the joists are already supporting the floorboards you don't need them that close and its not uncommon to have them at about 30 inch centers on larger sheds, however on a smaller shed they may use much smaller cross battens and put them closer together. You also need to put the end blocks set back and not at 30 inch centers (or whatever the spacing is) or they will stick out by nearly half a block.

My experience is from both having sheds put up (two massive ones in our yard) and from making them myself.

my3cents wrote: »
    Someone who doesn't know what he is talking about getting upset when he's called out on it?

The timber cross battens are built into the shed base on all the standard designs. There may look to be a lot of different shed designs but the ones you buy all use virtually the same set of standards. To be able to move the base sections around (they can be very big and heavy) battens are put across below the joists in the same direction of the floorboards so you have an arrangement a bit like on a close boarded pallet for each base section. Only the smallest or really poor cheap designs don't have cross battens built into the base.

Depending on the cheapness of the shed and its size the dimensions of the cross battens and their placing will vary. Because the joists are already supporting the floorboards you don't need them that close and its not uncommon to have them at about 30 inch centers on larger sheds, however on a smaller shed they may use much smaller cross battens and put them closer together. You also need to put the end blocks set back and not at 30 inch centers (or whatever the spacing is) or they will stick out by nearly half a block.

My experience is from both having sheds put up (two massive ones in our yard) and from making them myself.

Nothing you've said here contradicts anything in my original post. Of course the floor is constructed by attaching the boards to battens running the other way. What I was pointing out to recidite is that this structure is then placed on a further set of battens which are placed on the blocks perpendicular to the floor ones. A casual look under most if not all timber sheds will show this to be the case. I have been putting in blocks for sheds for twenty years this way.

If I didn't know any better I'd say you're feeling sore about my response to you in the other thread too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

Surely you could pick up a few railway sleepers! Not literally of course!!!!

http://www.landscapedepot.ie/product-category/timber-products/railway-sleepers/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Surely you could pick up a few railway sleepers! Not literally of course!!!!

http://www.landscapedepot.ie/product-category/timber-products/railway-sleepers/

Those new ones don't last. They aren't treated with all the banned chemicals that keep the old ones rot free for years and years.

my3cents wrote: »
    Those new ones don't last. They aren't treated with all the banned chemicals that keep the old ones rot free for years and years.

Agreed!☺️

• Registered Users Posts: 31,072 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I have untreated oak sleepers in ground contact that are holding up OK, but wouldn't bother with anything but blocks for under a shed.

Advertisement