Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it too late ?

Options
  • 08-11-2018 7:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 49

Im thinking about dropping higher level maths after christmas. Would it be too late to drop then or would I be able to catch up easily ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 ricecake01

Ialison wrote: »
    Im thinking about dropping higher level maths after christmas. Would it be too late to drop then or would I be able to catch up easily ?

I have friends who dropped at the beginning of sixth year and are getting along fine... Would you be able to ask a teacher or friend for advice maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 rayray2002

If you are going to be prepared to work your ass off to catch up then go for it . Personally I think that ordinary is piss easy so you should be able to catch up easily with help from friends or even your teacher. If you seriously Don't need Higher maths then definately drop it especially if you are finding it very time consuming and do need to concentrate on other more imporatant subjects for your L.C. not saying that maths aint imporatant it is but you have more than one subject to study so don't take offense.
    Go on but once you drop i am pretty sure that you can't go back up to higher again!
    Good luck if you decide to drop it!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 MathsNerd78

The ordinary level course is a subset of the higher level course so there should be no catching up to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Jane98

As a Maths teacher, I can tell you that not every student that drops back down to ordinary level from higher level will excel at ordinary level. Some students within a higher level class retain very little as they can find the pace of the teaching to be too fast and are so far out of their depth that they do not grasp the basics and ordinary level material but those students dont usually make it to sixth year at higher level.
    Also not every school will have the equivalent classes at higher level and ordinary level following the same topics (even though it is best practise) so you may have missed some topics which you will have to cover yourself. Ask the ordinary level teacher for the topics that have been covered.
    If you find yourself spending too much time on HL Maths and are not seeing results then move now and put that time into a different subject that will reap the benefit.

Best of luck.

Advertisement