Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harry's Bikes closing down...

Options
  • 08-11-2018 8:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭

Sad to see another decent local bike shop closing down.

Comments

I was living in Dublin and getting the 17 bus to work there near Harry's for about a month before I spotted them there one lunch time. Rarely took the bus again after that and still have the bike more than 10 years later . Shame to see them go :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

Bought my first good carbon bike off them , and they were fantastic with a warranty issue really put my faith back in the local bike store. Very sorry to here this news.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭C3PO

Sad news! Blame the internet in their FB post!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Ah bollox. Never popped up on my facebook feed (and still can't see it). My current road bikes came from there, and it's where I got my servicing done as it's effectively my lbs as it's beside work.

I'm kinda surprised, as always had a decent footfall from what I saw, for servicing at least.

Macy0161 wrote: »
    I'm kinda surprised, as always had a decent footfall from what I saw, for servicing at least.

Surprised myself - they seemed to have a reputation as the place to buy high end bikes!
    I think we will soon see LBSs that really only service bikes and sell just the basic essentials! I know that is the model that my LBS is now following. Happy to source bikes if required but equally happy to build up from parts supplied or a mixture of both!
    I think the big brands in sports retail will all have to open their own stores where people can see the full range and then order online - the old model no longer works!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,230 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

C3PO wrote: »
    Sad news! Blame the internet in their FB post!

I'm sure it's a factor, but I've never heard of the place and therefore was never factored in when bike shopping. It never came up in any google searches for me, so I'm sure I'm not the only one. I had to google it there by name to find out where it was.

A post about closing down still isn't showing for me on facebook? Could anyone post it?
    I think we will soon see LBSs that really only service bikes and sell just the basic essentials! I know that is the model that my LBS is now following. Happy to source bikes if required but equally happy to build up from parts supplied or a mixture of both!
    I did buy a few bits, but really they (any LBS) can't really compete with online, just through scale/ price/ convenience. Even "local" online stores that were competitively priced have gone too.

I guess I'll be over to belfield bikes...

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭dragratchet

I buy my bikes from them and found their service generally very good with a few hiccups over the years. they certainly treated me well regarding the bikes i bought. over the odds generally in terms of price but always handy for a quick pop in when you couldn't wait for a delivery. really sorry to see them go.

cant see that fb post either fwiw.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

My last bike was bought from a LBS. The bike before that was built up with a frame/group set purchased by me. Do must LBS do this?

I generally by consumables in the LBS but never things like clothes.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭PringleDemon

I buy my bikes from them and found their service generally very good with a few hiccups over the years. they certainly treated me well regarding the bikes i bought. over the odds generally in terms of price but always handy for a quick pop in when you couldn't wait for a delivery. really sorry to see them go.

cant see that fb post either fwiw.

The FB post was up on my news feed last night . Not on their page today .
    Its hard for bike retail atm . If big companies like Evan Cycles are struggling and collapsing then the smaller IBD's will all be going to the wall soon .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Surprised myself - they seemed to have a reputation as the place to buy high end bikes!

Really easy to run into trouble selling high end stuff. The manufacturers call the shots, on nearly everything and dealers can often end up with high end stuff , in odd sizes and the like, being sold at a big loss.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=100707195&postcount=7211

I remember seeing that post and didn't think you could sell shorts with a rrp of 225 for 50 and be genuine. I know nobody pays 225 but still. I called them and asked why were they giving them away "Assos had instructed them to get rid of their stock" was answer.

I don't know what the economics of that is but Harrys couldn't have made anything on it.

Shimano I particular, with their business model make things really hard for lbs. Typically they have to buy of Shimano's Irish agent while the big online multinational stores can buy Shimano gear in the economic zone that's cheapest and sell where it elsewhere. As a consumer it is often cheaper to buy a single Shimano item cheaper than lbs can but it in bulk.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

yep, have seen similar with camera/electronics gear, where the wholesale price a small retailer pays is higher than the retail price a warehouse based distributor can charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

yep, have seen similar with camera/electronics gear, where the wholesale price a small retailer pays is higher than the retail price a warehouse based distributor can charge.

A while ago, I was in the market for a Giro helmet. A friend of mine has a bike shop, asked him for his best price. He gave me a price, I told him I could get it online for less, I told him the online price, he said that it was less than he could get it from his wholesaler.

Macy0161 wrote: »
    A post about closing down still isn't showing for me on facebook? Could anyone post it?

Doesn't seem to be there now but I definitely read it last night ... signed by somebody called Jamie I think?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I can't see the notification anywhere. Facebook, twitter or there own website, so not convinced. I didn't use them much as they were not on my route but the few times I did they seemed decent and reasonable. Their advertised prices were a weird one as they had tubes at some silly price but when I paid for one it was half the amount, I presume they included fitting etc. in the sign prices.

Plenty of LBS can survive with online though, with several companies, particularly German letting LBS sell cheaper than online brands purposefully (Cube etc.) or via B+M only eg Stevens.

Not saying it is easy, and not a business I would go for myself. Good servicing is the key, as that is what keeps a good bike shop going when the B2W sales go quiet.

A good LBS is great, and helpful in keeping cycling going in an area IMO

I wimped out of going down at lunch. Jamie is the manager, who replaced a previous manager named Jamie! Could've been someone got hold of his phone I suppose.

CramCycle wrote: »

Absolutely, but to survive I think that they will need to derive most of their income from servicing and selling parts! An inevitable consequence of this is that we will all have to get used to paying increased service charge.

It also helps if they are involved in the sport themselves or at least associated with it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

someone show them this thread.

I can't see the notification anywhere. Facebook, twitter or there own website, so not convinced. I didn't use them much as they were not on my route but the few times I did they seemed decent and reasonable. Their advertised prices were a weird one as they had tubes at some silly price but when I paid for one it was half the amount, I presume they included fitting etc. in the sign prices.

Plenty of LBS can survive with online though, with several companies, particularly German letting LBS sell cheaper than online brands purposefully (Cube etc.) or via B+M only eg Stevens.

Not saying it is easy, and not a business I would go for myself. Good servicing is the key, as that is what keeps a good bike shop going when the B2W sales go quiet.

I passed by the shop last night, and yes, a big closing down notice in the window.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I used to cycle by daily, I stopped in once or twice and just found them ridiculously expensive for anything

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭dragratchet

I passed by the shop last night, and yes, a big closing down notice in the window.

Yes 100% true. I was talking to Jaime 2 days ago about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

Sad to hear this, bought a Pinarello and a TCR off them, in recent years. Good service, they are by no means my local bike shop but found them Great to deal with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

It popped up on my facebook feed last night, I didn't imagine it.
    For the record, I only visited the shop once, found them helpful and nice to deal with. However I was interested in an orbea and of the 3 shops I priced it in, they were the only one not to offer a discount on the online price that orbea offer.
    Nice shop they have tho, and I hate seeing any local business go to the wall. In every respect this country is becoming ever more gentrified and homogeneous and dull.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

someone show them this thread.

Why?

Sorry to hear this. I bought my lovely bike there but because I'm from down the country I didnt go back there for service etc afterwards. With the huge surge in cycling it's a shame to see local shops closing. There must be massive amounts of stuff being bought online.

terrydel wrote: »
    Why?
    it was in the context of people not being sure if the message on facebook had been deleted, it was a 'maybe they can refute the claims if untrue' comment. made flippantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,768 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I used to cycle by daily, I stopped in once or twice and just found them ridiculously expensive for anything
    I bought an 8-speed chain there a few weeks ago and it was nearly €30 on the sticker, though I think it cost me €25 at the till, which is a bit steep, as I've got the same chain for under €20 in other shops.

On the other hand, I got a really nice Dutch-style rear reflector with a built-in light there last week for €10, and it was cheaper than the two I got previously elsewhere, both of which kept cutting out, which this one doesn't do.

Anyway, it was often mentioned to me by people in the general area, and they all spoke well of it. I'm sorry to see any LBS go.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,768 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

(I always try to buy in a bricks-and-mortar shop now, even if it costs more. I only buy a few things now and then online that are hard to get in b&m shops.)

i've never bought anything bike related online.
    in fact, i can count my number of online purchases of any type without running out of fingers, i suspect. a few of those were things you simply can't buy in a bricks and mortar store in ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭2 Wheels Good

Eamonnator wrote: »
    A while ago, I was in the market for a Giro helmet. A friend of mine has a bike shop, asked him for his best price. He gave me a price, I told him I could get it online for less, I told him the online price, he said that it was less than he could get it from his wholesaler.

Heard the same from a now closed shop, even the bike makers were undercutting their shops through online retailers. Started selling bikes online cheaper than the agreed wholesale price to the shop. How could anyone compete with that.

Advertisement