Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harry's Bikes closing down...

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

well, in the scenario where i saw exact figures (not cycling related - it was a flatbed scanner i was looking for), an irish online retailer was able to sell the scanner for cheaper than the city centre camera shop i was in.
    said (well known) camera and imaging company don't want to deal with a city centre shop which might sell a scanner like that once a month, they'd prefer deal with an online retailer who shift five a week.

so couple the higher wholesale costs with inner city rents (well, inner city with this particular shop) compared to operating out of an industrial unit on the outskirts, the need to have staff available from opening to closing, as well as public liability insurance to have members of the public in the shop too, it's no wonder the small shops are struggling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

I passed by the shop last night, and yes, a big closing down notice in the window.

Strange, I passed on Saturday, and there was a "Sale Now On" sign, but no mention of the words Closing Down. No sign of Closing Down on their FB page either, just a "Bike Sale Now On" banner at the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

I noticed the "closing down sale" sign on the shop last thursday. Popped in. They confirmed they are closing this month. I was kind of surprised theyaren't staying open until after Christmas.

Sorry to see them go, I pass them on my commute. Have bought some parts there, never a bike though. Decent to deal with and helpful staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

Fian wrote: »
    I noticed the "closing down sale" sign on the shop last Thursday. Popped in. They confirmed they are closing this month. I was kind of surprised they aren't staying open until after Christmas.

Sorry to see them go, I pass them on my commute. Have bought some parts there, never a bike though. Decent to deal with and helpful staff.

Fair enough, sorry to see them going too.

They are the closest bike shop to the one where I work (Donnybrook Bikes), so people might think that we would be glad of less competition, but they concentrated on higher-end road stuff, and we concentrate on (but not exclusively) mid-range road/commuter/kids stuff, so it was never too dog-eat-dog between us, and it's never nice to see the market shrinking...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

well, in the scenario where i saw exact figures (not cycling related - it was a flatbed scanner i was looking for), an irish online retailer was able to sell the scanner for cheaper than the city centre camera shop i was in.
    said (well known) camera and imaging company don't want to deal with a city centre shop which might sell a scanner like that once a month, they'd prefer deal with an online retailer who shift five a week.

so couple the higher wholesale costs with inner city rents (well, inner city with this particular shop) compared to operating out of an industrial unit on the outskirts, the need to have staff available from opening to closing, as well as public liability insurance to have members of the public in the shop too, it's no wonder the small shops are struggling.

Its not just small shops, even the big shops are in trouble now. Expect to see a few big ones to go next year.

City centre is now full of cafe's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

Its not just small shops, even the big shops are in trouble now. Expect to see a few big ones to go next year.

City centre is now full of cafe's.

If LBS are struggling as badly as they appear to be, despite the cycle to work scheme, you can see the writing on the wall for alot of other local retail units as well.

Groceries, newsagents, convenience stores. Other than that online is taking over. No wonder rural post offices are disappearing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Fian wrote: »
    If LBS are struggling as badly as they appear to be, despite the cycle to work scheme, you can see the writing on the wall for alot of other local retail units as well.

Groceries, newsagents, convenience stores. Other than that online is taking over. No wonder rural post offices are disappearing.

Yep I agree. Why go to a shop when you can get it delivered to your desk?

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭depadz

Thinkbike seem to be opening up in terenure village in old black tie unit. Branding up on windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

Very sorry to hear this confirmed..

We are sad to announce that at the end of November Harry's Bikes will be shutting its doors for good. We have had the pleasure to deal with some of the best brands and distributors in the world, but unfortunately, in this industry, it is getting harder and harder to compete with online brands and retailers.

From all the members of staff, we would like to thank our loyal customers who have supported the store year after year and made it such a pleasurable and enjoyable experience. We could not be any more thankful for the business you have given us.

I would also like to thank the staff that has worked for the store over the years to give it the great reputation that it has. Harrys Bikes has always been about a big team effort and every member of staff has had a huge part to play in the growth of the business over the last six years.

If you will be in the area be sure to drop in so we can say our last goodbyes. We will be clearing all of our stock over the next two weeks so keep an eye on the page tomorrow for some bargains.

Regards, Jamie Laycock

• Registered Users Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Back open as of yesterday, dropped in my first repair and collected today. Cliff doing the mechanics, and I assume one of the sons doing upstairs, who previously ran cycleways apparently. Anyway, spoke repaired within 24 hours, when dropped within an hour or so of them opening, so my first experience was positive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Jaysis, is there a bike shop around where Cliff hasn't worked?
    Great mechanic all the same

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Cliff is back :D Good guy, last I saw he was in Eurocycles in town.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

mloc123 wrote: »

He was possibly in cyclezone in Blanchardstown too for a while after EuroCycles rebranded to 2 wheels which is now gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

mloc123 wrote: »

Been in 2wheel and cycleways since then, and that's just where I ran into him :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭easygoing39

Cliff was in Cycleways on Parnell St after 2wheel/Eurocycles closed on South Willian St.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

God save Cliff the magic mechanic. Delighted to hear he's back at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭rodneyTrotter.

Is it the same people running it or new management?

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭slow

Good news.

Advertisement