Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Accident 4 weeks ago and still no car

• 08-11-2018 9:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 271 ✭✭

Was involved in an accident about 6 weeks ago, tried to get mechanic to repair on the cheap but no joy so claiming off my insurance as is the other party.

Anyway provided all photographic evidence requested by insurance company 4 weeks ago but they still haven't made a decision or sent an engineer to view the car. As a family we need the car repaired but the insurance company simply tell us its being processed when we contact them every few days.

Putting huge pressure on us and I would have expected it to have been sorted by
    now. Is this normal practice or is there any advice on how to progress this?

Appreciate any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

My claim took over 6 months and was only settled when I agreed to accept a lower offer. Could have been back and forth for much longer.
    Get a proper quote to fix it and submit it to them. Then they might send an assessor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,633 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Tell them your neck is starting to stiffen up and you've been talking to a solicitor and see if they'll settle .......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭newmember2

Hire another car while you wait.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 271 ✭✭Paddytheman

newmember? wrote: »
    Hire another car while you wait.

Does the insurance cover this?

My claim took over 6 months and was only settled when I agreed to accept a lower offer. Could have been back and forth for much longer.
    Get a proper quote to fix it and submit it to them. Then they might send an assessor.

Sent them the quote with the photographic evidence, they said they would arrange the assessor 4 weeks ago but nothing since...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,157 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

On some policies it does but usually its limited to a few days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Exhaust the compalints process ASAP and involve the ombudsman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

OP, are you liable for the accident? Do you have Comprehensive cover?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Twitter, next time use an Insurance Assessor

OP, are you liable for the accident? Do you have Comprehensive cover?

Yes fully comp, they have agreed to send an assesor but its been 4 weeks and they just keep fobbing me off...

• Advertisement

Yes fully comp, they have agreed to send an assesor but its been 4 weeks and they just keep fobbing me off...

If you have Comp and are claiming off your own policy, there is something seriously wrong if they haven't even sent out an assessor. Have you spoken to the supervisor of your claim handler?

If you are not claiming under your own policy and want the 3rd party's insurer to assess your damages, they may well refuse to do so if they do not think their client is liable

Can you clarify which route you are taking?

If you have Comp and are claiming off your own policy, there is something seriously wrong if they haven't even sent out an assessor. Have you spoken to the supervisor of your claim handler?

If you are not claiming under your own policy and want the 3rd party's insurer to assess your damages, they may well refuse to do so if they do not think their client is liable

Can you clarify which route you are taking?

So it's my wife's car and I'm the named driver with fully comp cover, would this make a difference?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭newmember2

Why wouldn't it?? You're claiming for loss on your own comprehensive poilcy. Loss to the other party and loss to yourself. Hire a car and let the insurance company know the longer they delay the greater the loss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    On some policies it does but usually its limited to a few days

It is tpl. Yes, it does. For as long as they don't make their mind.

OP, I've asked a couple of times on who is considered to be liable for the accident. The correct advice you need is dependent on this information, including the aspect of car hire.

Sorry, I hit the back of the other driver so assume I'm liable.

Sorry, I hit the back of the other driver so assume I'm liable.

Ok, so you have comp and you're claiming for own damage under your own policy. It's not acceptable that your vehicle hasn't been assessed yet. I've never known a delay of more than 3/4 working days. The route of ombudsman is going to take longer than trying to resolve it with your insurer. Demand that it be referred to a manager or supervisor.

As for car hire, your policy will have a stated limit for this benefit, usually 7 days. You could ask for more as leverage over the delay in getting your car assessed, but they are not obliged to

Advertisement