Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't afford my hairdresser!

Options
  • 08-11-2018 10:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭

I have extremely difficult hair,coarse, wiry, curly, and wavy in places. I have tried practically what seems like ALL the hairdressers in my area, and Dublin also.

I go once, seems alright, go a second time and they mess it up, so off I go to find another.

I am now beholden to a place in Dublin city centre, fabulous hair cut each time, but oh so expensive, went today after 5 months, though it did need a cut way before! Stylist is great but it annoys me how she hangs around after I pay, seemingly waiting for a tip.

Well the cut costs me €95, so no way am I leaving more. I'm sure I could get a good cut somewhere else for less, any recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Thestones

dragona wrote: »
    I have extremely difficult hair,coarse, wiry, curly, and wavy in places. I have tried practically what seems like ALL the hairdressers in my area, and Dublin also.

I go once, seems alright, go a second time and they mess it up, so off I go to find another.

I am now beholden to a place in Dublin city centre, fabulous hair cut each time, but oh so expensive, went today after 5 months, though it did need a cut way before! Stylist is great but it annoys me how she hangs around after I pay, seemingly waiting for a tip.

Well the cut costs me €95, so no way am I leaving more. I'm sure I could get a good cut somewhere else for less, any recommendations?

What area are you living? There is a guy in greystones I find excellent for cutting and super reasonable too but it might be too far for you?..

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭MinnieMinx

Yes, it’s expensive but I’m guessing the salon is located in an expensive area with high rents? If you go every 4 months instead (16 weeks), it works out at just under €6 a week. Personally, I’d be prepared to forego other non-essentials if I had difficult hair and the certainty of always coming away with a good cut.

A few years ago when I’d just moved house, I saw a girl on a supermarket checkout with a similar hair type to mine that looked fabulous so I complimented her on her great haircut and asked where she got it done. I went to that hairdresser for a few years until I moved again.

I would happily recommend my brilliant hairdresser but I live on the south west coast so I don’t think a trip to Wenda at Wayne Lloyd’s in Ballydehob in West Cork would be cost effective for you, sorry. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I am no help re hair cuts but just an idea . Get a nice little pretty jar and put €5 a week into it . Put a note on it that its for you special treat haircut . Then the money for it won't sting as much .

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

dragona wrote:

Not an answer to the question itself but bringing something small like a muffin for the stylist is a cheap way of saying thanks if you feel under pressure about the tip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 597 ✭✭✭clfy39tzve8njq

MinnieMinx wrote:
    I would happily recommend my brilliant hairdresser but I live on the south west coast so I don’t think a trip to Wenda at Wayne Lloyd’s in Ballydehob in West Cork would be cost effective for you, sorry.

Hi Wenda :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭MinnieMinx

Hi Wenda :-)

Wenda’s great isn’t she? We both trained using the Sassoon precision cutting method so that’s why I chose to go to her. Prefer her to Wayne although Aaron, in Cork City is excellent too. When I’m there, we chat all about hair, what hair shows we’ve been to, the latest products, techniques and other hairdressers we know or admire. I no longer work in a salon so it’s nice to step foot inside one occasionally.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭dragona

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Not an answer to the question itself but bringing something small like a muffin for the stylist is a cheap way of saying thanks if you feel under pressure about the tip.

Great idea!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭dragona

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    I am no help re hair cuts but just an idea . Get a nice little pretty jar and put €5 a week into it . Put a note on it that its for you special treat haircut . Then the money for it won't sting as much .

I do put it away, but the amount is still the same. Just think it's exorbitant but I've no choice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

I feel your pain my hair dresser is €160 for colour and €85 for a cut every 8 / 10 weeks.... mental stuff ... and yes I have tried cheaper with terrible results

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭missmatty

I could have written the OP as well but I only go about 3 times a year so that's how I justify it to myself. I leave her an extra fiver maybe every second time if I have it. I'm now having to get my roots done as well (different salon closer to home) so it is very expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 lexi-lexi

God I'm blessed with my hairdressers they do a full colour or highlights plus cut and blow-dry for 55 euro and they are excellent.Pricing around lots of hairdressers in the same area (gorey co Wexford) are doing similar rates also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭milli milli

lexi-lexi wrote: »
    God I'm blessed with my hairdressers they do a full colour or highlights plus cut and blow-dry for 55 euro and they are excellent.Pricing around lots of hairdressers in the same area (gorey co Wexford) are doing similar rates also.

Same here. Highlights, cut & blow dry for €50. My hairdresser works out of her home (she’s tax compliant!) Hairdressers used to be the bane of my life - so hard to find one that knows what you want.
    I used to go to the bigger salons and found them impersonal and some didn’t listen.
    Can you ask anyone do they know of anyone local that’s good?
    I just get my long layers trimmed, I don’t usually get a restyle. So maybe if you need a special kind of cut, it might be trickier? But ask around.
    I wouldn’t go back to paying that kind of money again. €95 for just a cut is crazy!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Mine is 50 for a cute, highlights and blow dry. Very lucky! But in Cork so not very useful. Hope you find somewhere OP.

Advertisement