Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about covering maternity leave?

• 08-11-2018 10:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭

I'm currently covering a maternity leave for learning support in a primary school in Wexford. I was due to be there until Christmas but another maternity leave came up in a mainstream classroom in the same school and the principal asked me to cover it. The mainstream class teacher was not due to go until the 8th of December but ended up going early at the mid-term. I was just wondering as I still have to do the Dip could I start it after Christmas as I will have 105 days or how does it work? I am not currently taking her class yet and there is a sub in but I may have to in the next few weeks. Do you have to start your Dip the date the teacher starts her maternity leave or how does it work? Some NQTs are having to do the Dip for whole school year?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭zeebre12

If i have 105 days after Christmas can I start then or do I have to start my Dip when she starts her maternity leave or how does it work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Angliru

When applying for your DIP you put down the day you commenced the post and the day you finish up and that's when the days are counted. So if you start a job in September but only apply in October but said you commenced in September you've technically lost those days, even if you can prove you worked those days. Now if you're working the whole year you can afford to apply a little later as you'll easily fill the 100 days quota between then and June. Tbh I'd apply away as soon as possible really. Your best bet is to talk to the principal and ask them for advice though.

Advertisement