Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Static IP confusion

• 08-11-2018 10:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Hi all,

Looking for some support from forum members or eir 

I purchased a Static IP, the static is assigned. When i put eir f2000 into bridge mode the static changes to a diff IP. 
    What im trying to do is to bridge the eir modem, connect my own  device then through one of the LAN ports on the f2000.
    Problem is when i do this the IP changes completely so i can't achieve what i am trying to do at all.
    Spoke to eir tech on phone and i am being told i cannot have the static and put the f2000 into bridge mode as it will change IP ???

what am i missing here ? any help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39 cinnamonsticks

any help ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

My guess would be that the static IP is assigned to the MAC address of your F2000, when you use a different router with a different MAC address it assigns you a random IP address from the pool like it does for most customers who have not paid for a static IP.
    Eir only provide support for routers supplied by them. 
    Maybe you can convince Eir to link the IP address of your own router to the static address(unlikely)
    Or perhaps your device is capable of spoofing the same MAC as the F2000

Hi Tuxy thanks for response.

That is exactly what i tried about 30mins ago, spoofing the MAC address to my mikrotik device. However it did not work. 

I have spoke to tech supp and Static IP support at eir today who couldn't assist me. The tech supp rep said "it should be possible, probably...." no other input was given to me
    '
    And the f2000 reverted itself back to 'IP routing (PPP)' instead of bridged mode by itself.

on my own Device i set the MAC on ether1 spoofing the eir modem.
    I then made ether1 a dhcp client on my own device but it kept giving it  a 192.168 address. 
    i am sure i am missing something simple but i can't think what it could be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

What eir service do you have?

FTTC vdsl

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

FTTC vdsl

Ah I was hoping it was FTTH so I could tell you you did not need the F2000. I've no experience bridging on a VDSL connection so I can't give you any advice.

Try posting in the broadband forum. There are a few Mikrotik users there I think.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=259

Yeah i tried plugging in a diff modem and i was given a completely diff range of ip 51.something.

i will try that thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Stinkah

I know I'm very late replying here and apologies, but I saw your post looking for something else about configuration of Static Routes on the F2000 modems and thought I'd share what I think is happening here ...

If eir use DHCP or similar to allocate customer IP addressing to their Modems (which I suspect they do) they will likely be serving you the static IP address using a link to the "DHCP Client ID". Depending on your router of choice, you may be able to hardcode/amend this DHCP client ID to match that of your F2000. Similar can be done using the IPv6 equivalent called DUID to hand out static Prefixes.

If you google "Configuring a specific DHCP Client ID" you should find some answers.

Good luck,

Mick

Advertisement