Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bathroom extract

Options
  • 08-11-2018 11:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone had bathroom extract fans wired into light switch, but then installed hue bulbs?

Just looking for solutions around this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭davegilly

Just wondering if anyone had bathroom extract fans wired into light switch, but then installed hue bulbs?

Just looking for solutions around this?
    I am in the process of doing this.

I bought a Sonoff TH16 Humidity switch and I am going to use this to activate the fan when the humidity goes above a certain threshold. This way you can leave the lightswitch on all the time so your hue light works properly and the fan should only come on when the shower is on/humidity high.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭steedevaney

davegilly wrote: »

I bought a Sonoff TH16 Humidity switch and I am going to use this to activate the fan when the humidity goes above a certain threshold. This way you can leave the lightswitch on all the time so your hue light works properly and the fan should only come on when the shower is on/humidity high.
    Any chance of photos? Thinking of doing something similar myself.
    Current planned work around is to put an xiaomi vibration sensor on the extractor so at least I will know it is on and for how long, however I’m not sure if this plan will even work.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭paulbok

Yep. Stupidly had the bathroom light and extractor wired on the same circuit. Really annoying at night with the noise of the fan
    Planning at some stage to stick a z-wave switch in with the fan if there is room, and putting a Ikea bulb and motion sensor in the bathroom for the light. Will setup rules the for when the light comes on at night with no fan running, nightlight etc.
    If I can't get a switch connected to the fan I'll have to open the ceiling and re-wire.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭john_doe.

I had similar thread not so long ago

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057915504/2/#post108242091

The xiaomi humidity sensor looks like nice job

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭maxamillius

Did you end up installing this? Is it any good?

Thanks

• Advertisement

Thanks

Not yet

Thanks

Update: Installed it today. It works but there are a few issues that I need to fix.

1. The Sonoff is in the attic above the fan in the bathroom so it's pretty far away from my router. The WiFi signal is very weak as a result so probably not the most reliable so I will move router a little closer.
    2. I can't get the Humidity sensor to work so can only turn the fan on/off using the app. After googling this evening it looks like I just need to drill a larger hole on the side of the Sonoff and push the sensor connector in further. Will do this tomorrow.
    3. The switch for the fan/light is on all the time now so the light in the bathroom is controlled with a Xiaomi motion sensor.

Hopefully all working properly tomorrow evening.

Update: Installed it today. It works but there are a few issues that I need to fix.

1. The Sonoff is in the attic above the fan in the bathroom so it's pretty far away from my router. The WiFi signal is very weak as a result so probably not the most reliable so I will move router a little closer.
    2. I can't get the Humidity sensor to work so can only turn the fan on/off using the app. After googling this evening it looks like I just need to drill a larger hole on the side of the Sonoff and push the sensor connector in further. Will do this tomorrow.
    3. The switch for the fan/light is on all the time now so the light in the bathroom is controlled with a Xiaomi motion sensor.

Hopefully all working properly tomorrow evening.
    All fixed and all working perfectly.

Have the Himidity set at 89% to turn on fan. Usually takes about 40 minutes after the shower is turned off to get it back down the 89 and turn off the fan.

Using a Hue dimmer switch to turn on and off the light in the shower room instead of the motion switch. Have put a motion switch out in the landing instead that turns off all upstairs lights if no motion is detected within 30 minutes so if any lights are accidentally left on then this turns them off instead of them being on all day.

Advertisement