Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wear OS Google Pay

Options
  • 09-11-2018 10:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know if the wear os version of Google pay will work in Ireland?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

bromley52 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the wear os version of Google pay will work in Ireland?

It works but keeps disabling itself after about 20 mins. I use the pay enabler app to quickly turn it back on, I have that set to a hardware button

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭grimm2005

as bromley says it does work but frustratingly keeps disabling with pay enabler being the least head wrecking way of re-enabling. It only started happening with the Oreo update on my watch and I can't understand the logic why we're on the unsupported countries list when it clearly works. Until we're added to that list I don't think there's much we can do but put up with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭pedatron

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but has anyone ever sorted this out? Absolutely incredible that it's been ignored this long considering how common contactless payment is now. I picked up a fossil sport watch on a deal a few weeks back and couldn't believe it wasn't enabled. Such a random thing to not work in Ireland when phones have had it for years!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Nollog

pedatron wrote: »
    Sorry to resurrect an old thread but has anyone ever sorted this out? Absolutely incredible that it's been ignored this long considering how common contactless payment is now. I picked up a fossil sport watch on a deal a few weeks back and couldn't believe it wasn't enabled. Such a random thing to not work in Ireland when phones have had it for years!

Same situation here, thinking of sending it back.
    I've pay enabler and a VPN on my phone to enable it, but half the time it still says it's not available so can't trust it'll work.

/\/ollog wrote: »
    Same situation here, thinking of sending it back.
    I've pay enabler and a VPN on my phone to enable it, but half the time it still says it's not available so can't trust it'll work.

It's terrible but not a deal-breaker on the watch for me to be honest. I paid £69 with a £20 voucher for it on Amazon and definitely think it's worth that. More frustrating than anything else as I can't see any reason for it not working only that Google couldn't care less to enable it. Fitbit pay and apple pay work no problem at all with smartwatches in Ireland from what I've seen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Loadedscream

pedatron wrote: »
    It's terrible but not a deal-breaker on the watch for me to be honest. I paid £69 with a £20 voucher for it on Amazon and definitely think it's worth that. More frustrating than anything else as I can't see any reason for it not working only that Google couldn't care less to enable it. Fitbit pay and apple pay work no problem at all with smartwatches in Ireland from what I've seen.

It worked on my fossil sport when i got it first but was then disabled after a wear os update. What i did was factory reset the watch and disable the auto updates for the wear os app on the watch and on the phone. It works for me albeit you will be running an out of date version of wear os (no tiles etc.)

It worked on my fossil sport when i got it first but was then disabled after a wear os update. What i did was factory reset the watch and disable the auto updates for the wear os app on the watch and on the phone. It works for me albeit you will be running an out of date version of wear os (no tiles etc.)

Thanks! Good idea! I never knew that! I've actually disabled a load of apps running in the background via ADB to save battery so I'll probably just leave it as it is. Battery is about 50% going to bed most days and I use the watch for about 16 or 17 hours so I'll always get a full day out of it!

How'd you reset it? I tried from system settings "disconnect and reset" and it didn't roll back my update. I definitely installed one when I first turned it on. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Loadedscream

/\/ollog wrote: »
    How'd you reset it? I tried from system settings "disconnect and reset" and it didn't roll back my update. I definitely installed one when I first turned it on. :/

Yes just a simple factory reset brought mine back to the pre H update. I just set it up in airplane mode and made sure to turn off the updates on the watch before connecting again. pay was working fine.

Yes just a simple factory reset brought mine back to the pre H update. I just set it up in airplane mode and made sure to turn off the updates on the watch before connecting again. pay was working fine.

Ah mine must be a different batch or something, I reset without any WiFi or anything and it stays on "H MR1", pay is active but as soon as I try it it asks for an account and the only way to add one is with the Bluetooth, which then disables pay.

Thanks anyway, was worth trying.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Sorry to dig up a post that was last commented on 3 months ago...

Has anyone managed to get Google Pay to work on Samsung Galaxy watch?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,965 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Google pay does not work on Samsung watches. The Tizen OS does not support the app and uses Samsung Pay (Also not supported in Ireland)

In Ireland, for reasons best know to Google, GPay on smartwatches running Google's Wear OS does not work due to a region lockout. There is a workaround that is not feasible for the average user. (Setting your watch to development mode and using a vpn)

It looks as though Ireland drags behind when it comes to smartwatches with Google Pay and Samsung Pay both unsupported. Why do they hold hold us in such contempt? Who knows... and they don't seem to be in a rush to tell anyone through any official channels.

If anyone really wants to use their smartwatch to pay for goods then you should invest in an Apple , a Fitbit or a Garmin smartwatch (uses fitbit pay too).

For reference: Gpay on Wear Os is supported in these countries.
    Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Switzerland, Italy, Poland, Russia, Spain, the UK, or the US

Thanks, Samsung Ireland advised someone on their twitter account that Samsung Pay was not coming to Ireland, anytime soon....

Would love one of the irish tech jounos to ask someone high up in either Google or Samsung as to why this is the case.

wear os pay is only in 11 countries worldwide

google pay itself is only in 28 countries worldwide (including Ireland)

so from one point of view it's sh1t not to have wear os pay but on the other hand maybe lucky to have google pay

glasso wrote: »
    wear os pay is only in 11 countries worldwide

google pay itself is only in 28 countries worldwide (including Ireland)

so from one point of view it's sh1t not to have wear os pay but on the other hand maybe lucky to have google pay

It's the not being able to use on a watch when you can use your phone for payments that doesn't make a lot of sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Cotts72

Has anyone found a workaround or had any success enabling it?

Cotts72 wrote: »

Nope - have given up.

Sold my Samsung Galaxy watch and bought a fitbit, paying for stuff in shops with my watch is really handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

Nope - have given up.

Sold my Samsung Galaxy watch and bought a fitbit, paying for stuff in shops with my watch is really handy.

Fitbit Pay? I'd imagine, now that it's owned by Google, it will be integrated that way, but I am considering the plunge myself for a Fitbit device.

ibFoxer wrote: »
    Fitbit Pay? I'd imagine, now that it's owned by Google, it will be integrated that way, but I am considering the plunge myself for a Fitbit device.

Yep, comes with google assistant,got a versa 3...very happy with it.

Got the galaxy watch as a freebie when I bought my note 9 and managed to get €120 for it so versa was peanuts.

Sone good deals on fitbits in the January sales..

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Gazedor

Cotts72 wrote: »
    I have it working (ticwatch). Little bit of set up involved but working perfect

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,403 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Gazedor wrote: »
    Is that the proxy/faking region thingy or some other way I might be bothered to try?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Gazedor

TheChizler wrote: »
    Is that the proxy/faking region thingy or some other way I might be bothered to try?
    Aye, it's not too bad to set up and works perfectly when you do. Its the only solution at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭grimeire

Can you provide any info on how you got it working with ticwatch.
    I get google pay hasn't launched in this location yet. when i launch the app.

Aye, it's not too bad to set up and works perfectly when you do. Its the only solution at the moment.
    Do you mind me asking which proxy service you're using? Tried a couple free ones but there's no indication it's working

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭LeeroyJ.

Launching in late may or June.

https://www.androidauthority.com/wear-os-update-1225683/

Google Pay on Wear OS will also be expanded to support 37 countries and more than 200 transit systems around the world. Google’s goal is to have it supported as well as it is on phones. The new countries include the United Arab Emirates, Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Brazil, Chile, Croatia, Czechia, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, Greece, Hong Kong, Hungary, Ireland, Lithuania, Latvia, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, Romania, Singapore, Slovakia, Sweden, Taiwan, and Ukraine. This expansion will roll out in late May/early June.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

LeeroyJ. wrote: »
    Launching in late may or June.

https://www.androidauthority.com/wear-os-update-1225683/

Google Pay on Wear OS will also be expanded to support 37 countries and more than 200 transit systems around the world. Google’s goal is to have it supported as well as it is on phones. The new countries include the United Arab Emirates, Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Brazil, Chile, Croatia, Czechia, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, Greece, Hong Kong, Hungary, Ireland, Lithuania, Latvia, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, Romania, Singapore, Slovakia, Sweden, Taiwan, and Ukraine. This expansion will roll out in late May/early June.

This is the news I've finally been waiting for.

Just "enabled" Google Pay" on the watch and it downloaded the latest version and I was able to set it up up so it is now working but yet to test it out.

Great to hear! Though my TicWatch Pro is so slow now it would be faster to pay in cash than try to use it

Good news, still won't work on a Samsung Galaxy watch but that could br changing soon if the rumours of Samsung moving to OS Wear is true.

https://www.theverge.com/2021/5/17/22439989/samsung-galaxy-watch-4-wear-os-tizen-switch

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭LeeroyJ.

Good news, still won't work on a Samsung Galaxy watch but that could br changing soon if the rumours of Samsung moving to OS Wear is true.

https://www.theverge.com/2021/5/17/22439989/samsung-galaxy-watch-4-wear-os-tizen-switch

It's confirmed https://www.androidpolice.com/2021/05/18/google-and-samsung-team-up-to-fix-wear-os/

Samsung and Google teamed up to create the next version of Wear OS and the next Galaxy watch will run Wear OS. Also Spotify is releasing an update to enable downloaded music.

• Advertisement

This is the news I've finally been waiting for.

Just "enabled" Google Pay" on the watch and it downloaded the latest version and I was able to set it up up so it is now working but yet to test it out.

It was a test - access has now been removed again for Ireland.

Will be in on a permanent basis with the real rollout mentioned in the article.

Advertisement