Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Santa real, how do we know?

Options
2»

Comments

OP as other people have pointed out - tricks, sleight of hand, events that can not easily be explained - all are likely to help you out here. You need to set up events that could not possibly (in their head) have happened without magic. Or you have to work out situations where Santa can know things that (in their head) you could not have known. Some good examples of that on the thread already - but in general you have to come up with ideas that fit your situation.
    Necro wrote: »
    I mean... that's fine for you (I find it incredibly sad for your kids, but it's your call, whatever) - just tell them not to wreck it for others though, some people like a bit of magic in the lives of their young kids for a while :)

I agree entirely with half of your post and not at all with the other half.

Agree that we have to have our own children take care not to go ruining for the children who have been led to buy into the narrative. I would even go one further than this - in that not only should they not be going around ruining it for them - they might even enjoy playing the game too and working on ways to play that game and make other kids believe more. In fact last year - long story so will give the briefest of overviews here - with the use of an alarm and a firework rigged to go off from our chimney we worked out a scenario that looked to other kids in our area like we tried to catch Santa in the act and we nearly did but he made a quick get away. Totally convinced some kids in an awesome way and me and my daughter really had a great time and a great laugh.

Disagree though that there is anything "sad" about it - or that not selling kids lies means they do not have magic in their lives. Quite the opposite. With the application of a little effort we can put a lot of magic into the lives of young kids. Without a single lie or piece of fantasy at all. And not just "for a while" as you put it either - but in ways that potentially might never go away and will keep that magic in their lives until well into adult hood. There is a wealth of magic many growns ups do not even know is there or can be shared with our kids - that comes directly from the real world - and while it takes a little more time and effort compared to the pre-packed easy approaches things like Santa and Easter Bunnies and Tooth Fairies afford - I think the effect, impact, benefits and more scale with that investment of time and effort. And last much longer.

Advertisement