Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Up Grade Options

Options
  • 09-11-2018 10:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭

Hi All,
    Below is the current spec of my sons PC, Bought it about 3 years ago and looking to upgrade it. What component upgrades would give us our best bang for our buck?

Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    CPU
    Intel Core i5 4570 @ 3.20GHz
    Haswell 22nm Technology
    RAM
    8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 823MHz (11-11-11-28)
    Motherboard
    ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. Z97-K (SOCKET 1150)
    Graphics
    G277HU (2560x1440@59Hz)
    Generic Non-PnP Monitor (1024x768@60Hz)
    2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 (MSI)
    Storage
    119GB Crucial_CT128MX100SSD1 (SATA (SSD)) 28 °C
    1863GB Western Digital WDC WD20EZRZ-00Z5HB0 (SATA ) 25 °C

Thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Irishder

Also if we were to sell any idea what it is worth?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Upgrade the graphics card!
    Can't believe you're running 1440p on a GTX 960.

Rest of the system is fine.
    An extra 8Gb RAM would be nice, but a luxury.
    An i7/Xeon would also be an upgrade but focus on the GPU.

Can you open her up and look at the power supply?

Thanks what would you recommend?

Should mention its the childs PC (12 year old) really only uses it for fortnite but i have a feeling that will be changing soon.

Power Supply is Integrator 500W

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Aerocool-Integrator-500W-Power-Supply/dp/B00JKVHKSU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1541757652&sr=8-1&keywords=integrator+500w

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

If it's only used for Fortnite the CPU is fine, just get a new GPU. Depends on your budget.

An RX580 8GB (£200+) or GTX1060 6GB (£220+) would be ideal, though at the moment you can get the RX570 for £160 which is a solid upgrade too.

Would get €70 or €80 for the GTX960 too.

I'd throw out the Aerocool PSU too, and upgrade that.

EVGA 500BR on a budget, be quiet! Pure Power 10 CM if you have a few pence more.

• Advertisement

https://www.adverts.ie/graphics-cards/sapphire-nitro-radeon-rx-580-8gb-gddr5/16654996

Would this do the job, probably get a few more euro off it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Cordell

It will do, however it's the kind of card that may have been used for mining.

Barely used in the description. Fire a message to the seller anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Cordell

He sold another 2 so most definitely they are coming off a mining rig.
    uhassan 1 month ago
    @gocfella: bought it to run play around with GPU based processing but didn't much time to do so.
    GPU based processing = mining :)

Plus you can get a new RX580 for €240-250 anyway so while it's a decent card, just easier to go with the new one with full warranty.

Aerocool Integrator isn't a world-class PSU but it's fine and reliable for cards like RX580 or GTX1060.

Most bad reviews for those sort of units (and similar Corsair VS or whatever) are people actually expecting a £30 PSU to deliver 75-100% load reliably.

An GTX1060 or RX580 system isn't going to push more than about 300w under load at worst, for example, so I don't think it needs to be upgraded as a priority.

• Advertisement

Plus you can get a new RX580 for €240-250 anyway so while it's a decent card, just easier to go with the new one with full warranty.

Aerocool Integrator isn't a world-class PSU but it's fine and reliable for cards like RX580 or GTX1060.

Most bad reviews for those sort of units (and similar Corsair VS or whatever) are people actually expecting a £30 PSU to deliver 75-100% load reliably.

An GTX1060 or RX580 system isn't going to push more than about 300w under load at worst, for example, so I don't think it needs to be upgraded as a priority.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B073F1286D

Would that work

Yep, just fine. Have a look on a few other sites. Some are offering the RX for a similar price with amazing free games (Resi 2, Divison 2, DMC 5)

Yep, just fine. Have a look on a few other sites. Some are offering the RX for a similar price with amazing free games (Resi 2, Divison 2, DMC 5)

Thanks do you knowwhat sites

Irishder wrote: »
    Thanks do you knowwhat sites

Example here, choice of two games for £199 but both are worth €50.

If no interest in the games then the Amazon option is great value.

Example here, choice of two games for £199 but both are worth €50.

If no interest in the games then the Amazon option is great value.

Thanks that one is 4gb the one I linked to is 8gb would it make much difference.

Oops sorry you're right. Another example here for an 8GB for £199.

And yes at this point it's well worth going for the 8GB model if you plan keeping it a few years.

one more question :), would the power supply in this add be a good upgrade?

https://www.adverts.ie/other-computers/gaming-computer-parts/16756942

Not really, it's a wattage upgrade obviously but quality wise, not really, the VS series are low-end. If you're going with the RX580 you don't really need an upgrade though.

Right i am pulling the trigger on this today if there are no better deals:

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/gigabyte-radeon-rx-580-gaming-8192mb-gddr5-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-192-gi.html#free_items

Is it possible to sell the games on or are they linked to the card somehow?

• Advertisement

I think they're linked in that user has to have an AMD card to redeeem.

Is there any performance difference between the Gigabyte and Powercooler cards?

Is there any performance difference between the Gigabyte and Powercooler cards?

Yes.
    Maybe.
    Kinda.

Overall sentiment on the net is that the Sapphire Nitro+ are the best, but I don't recall seeing comparison reviews for your 2.

Hi i installed a new rx 580 but when the child is playing fortnite the fans go into overdrive and make an awful racket. Is this normal. Temp is about 80 C and fans are spinning at 3000 rpm.

Its very loud, is there anything that can be done or is the card faultY?

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yoshiktk

Hi i installed a new rx 580 but when the child is playing fortnite the fans go into overdrive and make an awful racket. Is this normal. Temp is about 80 C and fans are spinning at 3000 rpm.

Kinda hot, mine during BF5 goes up to 60-70C.
    The fans have really bad curve on auto, mine had the same issue. Sounds like starting jumbo jet.
    You could try to setup the fans to custom curve and/or undervolt it to lower temps, download MSI Afterburner.

First steps:
    Use DDU to remove all old video drivers, then install latest ones from AMD.

Advertisement