Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Visa Card in the States

• 09-11-2018 12:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Sorry if this has been posted before but my poor searching skills haven't helped me!

Flying to the US for the first time in a couple of weeks and was wondering about using the Visa card. Imagine the bank transaction fees may be hefty (could be wrong) and am interested in a pre-paid card approach.

Just wondering for those who have travelled before was using the Visa grand or expensive? Would a pre-paid card be recommended and if so any suggestions?

Might be making a meal out of nothing.
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Hi all,

Sorry if this has been posted before but my poor searching skills haven't helped me!

Flying to the US for the first time in a couple of weeks and was wondering about using the Visa card. Imagine the bank transaction fees may be hefty (could be wrong) and am interested in a pre-paid card approach.

Just wondering for those who have travelled before was using the Visa grand or expensive? Would a pre-paid card be recommended and if so any suggestions?

Might be making a meal out of nothing.
    Thanks

Check out a Revolut or similar type card. There’s a thread on boards about them. Excellent way to pay when traveling

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Check out a Revolut or similar type card. There’s a thread on boards about them. Excellent way to pay when traveling

Cheers Jack! Had a 3V card back in the day but I think they're not up and running any more.

Will check that out.

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Cheers Jack! Had a 3V card back in the day but I think they're not up and running any more.

Will check that out.

It’s great. You top it up from your current account as you need and there’s no transaction fees so you’ll save a few quid too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,203 ✭✭✭maximoose

Revolut is amazing

www.revolut.com/promo/freebie

Get yourself a free card there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭c6ysaphjvqw41k

Are you using a visa debit card or credit card? My credit card has huge fees for foreign currency transactions. My debit card its like 1.75%. I use my debit card occasionally in the US, and make a note with my bank so it doesn't get flagged for fraud. I mostly use cash in the US. With all the tips for meals, drinks, taxis I often find it easier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Are you using a visa debit card or credit card? My credit card has huge fees for foreign currency transactions. My debit card its like 1.75%. I use my debit card occasionally in the US, and make a note with my bank so it doesn't get flagged for fraud. I mostly use cash in the US. With all the tips for meals, drinks, taxis I often find it easier.

Hi Alaric Incalculable Lanyard,

Card is a Visa Debit but from France where I was living previously (trying to open a new bank account since my move). I have had issues with it abroad before however with some card machines not accepting it so think the pre-paid card and cash may be best!

I usually just bring a small amount of dollars for some tips but even then, I use my card for almost everything (including bar tabs and Ubers) so the need for cash is getting less and less.

As is the traditional bank issued credit and debit card where you get charged 1.75% or whatever. The sooner everyone starts using the likes of Revolut, the sooner the traditional banks might cop on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭c6ysaphjvqw41k

I usually just bring a small amount of dollars for some tips but even then, I use my card for almost everything (including bar tabs and Ubers) so the need for cash is getting less and less.

As is the traditional bank issued credit and debit card where you get charged 1.75% or whatever. The sooner everyone starts using the likes of Revolut, the sooner the traditional banks might cop on.

We get all cash, but my husband also has a US bank account so we normally put some money into it when we arrive and use a mix of cash and his US debit card. Most people wont have this possibility though which is why I didn't mention it. If we didn't I probably would look at something like Revolut.

I sometimes use my own Irish debit card if I'm buying something I didn't plan to get.

Advertisement