Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this email legit?

Options
  • 09-11-2018 1:24pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi there,

Could you kindly confirm whether this email was actually sent from BOI, and whether I should act on it? (I removed all the links).

Thanks.

"Important: We need your up-to-date photo ID and proof of address

Bank of Ireland <info@boimail.com>
    Mon 5 Nov, 16:19 (4 days ago) to me

Bank of Ireland

Important: We need your up-to-date photo ID

Important: We need your up-to-date photo ID and proof of address

Customer reference number: [EDITED]

Dear Customer,

I am contacting you in relation to Bank of Ireland’s obligations under Irish and EU law on customer identification. Like all financial institutions, we are obliged to hold up-to-date identification documentation for all our customers. To help meet this requirement, I’d appreciate it very much if, within the next 30 days, you could send us a copy of your photo identification (in date) and proof of current address (dated in the last six months). Please see the types of Photo ID and Proof of Address documents we accept.

Why we need copies of your ID documents
    As mentioned above, we’re required by Irish and EU law to have up-to-date identification documentation for all customers. If our information for you isn’t accurate, it will affect your ability to bank with us in the future. Getting your documents to us now will help to avoid that.

The customer identity information you send us will cover all banking products you hold across the BOI Group. Where necessary, this information may also be used to cover any insurance or pension products you hold with the BOI Group.

​How do you send us your documents?
    • Online: Upload your documents securely online, either on your desktop or mobile, through our upload hub at www.bankofireland.com/MyID

• At any convenient branch: Bring this email and copies of your documents, to any BoI branch.

How do you find out more?
    For more information, please visit our Frequently Asked Questions section on www.bankofireland.com/MyIDFAQ Alternatively, you can phone us on 0818 200 399.

Please be assured that Bank of Ireland takes your privacy very seriously. Your information will be used in accordance with the Bank’s Data Privacy Notice. See our website at www.bankofireland.com/privacy for more information.

Thank you in advance for your prompt help with this request. I look forward to receiving a copy of your documentation.

Thank you,

Joe Madigan LIB QFA
    Head of Customer Data

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn YouTube bankofireland.com

View Online | Privacy

You have received this email because you are an existing Bank of Ireland customer. This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify us immediately at MailMonitor@boi.com and delete the email from your system. It is possible for data transmitted by email to be deliberately or accidentally corrupted or intercepted. For this reason, where the communication is by email, the Bank of Ireland Group does not accept any responsibility for any breach of confidence which may arise through the use of this medium. This footnote also confirms that this email message has been swept for the presence of known computer viruses.

Bank of Ireland Group includes Bank of Ireland Group plc, the Governor and Company of the Bank of Ireland (“Bank of Ireland”) and Bank of Ireland (UK) plc. If you are unsure as to which company is your product provider, you can contact us at your nearest branch or, if you are in the UK, at the registered office of Bank of Ireland (UK) plc at Bow Bells House, 1 Bread Street, London EC4M 9BE. Bank of Ireland is incorporated by charter, registered in Ireland with limited liability, with its registered office at 40 Mespil Rd, Dublin 4, D04 C2N4, with registered number C-1. Bank of Ireland is regulated by the Central Bank of Ireland. Bank of Ireland Group plc is a public limited company incorporated in Ireland, with its registered office at 40 Mespil Rd, Dublin 4, D04 C2N4 and registered number 593672.

In the United Kingdom Bank of Ireland is authorised by the Central Bank of Ireland and the Prudential Regulation Authority and subject to limited regulation by the Financial Conduct Authority and Prudential Regulation Authority. Details about the extent of our authorisation and regulation by the Prudential Regulation Authority, and regulation by the Financial Conduct Authority are available from us on request.

Bank of Ireland UK is a trading name of Bank of Ireland (UK) plc which is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority, registered in England & Wales (No. 7022885), with its registered office at Bow Bells House, 1 Bread Street, London EC4M 9BE.

Bank of Ireland carries out some activities that do not require a licence or authorisation from the Central Bank of Ireland and are not regulated by it. For a full list of these unregulated activities please see the Bank of Ireland website.

Bank of Ireland is regulated by the Central Bank of Ireland.
    Bank of Ireland Mortgage Bank trading as Bank of Ireland Mortgages and The Mortgage Store is regulated by the Central Bank of Ireland."

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Darren

New Home wrote: »
    Hi there,

Could you kindly confirm whether this email was actually sent from BOI, and whether I should act on it? (I removed all the links).

Thanks.

"Important: We need your up-to-date photo ID and proof of address

Bank of Ireland <info@boimail.com>
    Mon 5 Nov, 16:19 (4 days ago) to me

Bank of Ireland

Important: We need your up-to-date photo ID

Important: We need your up-to-date photo ID and proof of address

Customer reference number: [EDITED]

Dear Customer,

I am contacting you in relation to Bank of Ireland’s obligations under Irish and EU law on customer identification. Like all financial institutions, we are obliged to hold up-to-date identification documentation for all our customers. To help meet this requirement, I’d appreciate it very much if, within the next 30 days, you could send us a copy of your photo identification (in date) and proof of current address (dated in the last six months). Please see the types of Photo ID and Proof of Address documents we accept.

Why we need copies of your ID documents
    As mentioned above, we’re required by Irish and EU law to have up-to-date identification documentation for all customers. If our information for you isn’t accurate, it will affect your ability to bank with us in the future. Getting your documents to us now will help to avoid that.

The customer identity information you send us will cover all banking products you hold across the BOI Group. Where necessary, this information may also be used to cover any insurance or pension products you hold with the BOI Group.

​How do you send us your documents?
    • Online: Upload your documents securely online, either on your desktop or mobile, through our upload hub at www.bankofireland.com/MyID

• At any convenient branch: Bring this email and copies of your documents, to any BoI branch.

How do you find out more?
    For more information, please visit our Frequently Asked Questions section on www.bankofireland.com/MyIDFAQ Alternatively, you can phone us on 0818 200 399.

Please be assured that Bank of Ireland takes your privacy very seriously. Your information will be used in accordance with the Bank’s Data Privacy Notice. See our website at www.bankofireland.com/privacy for more information.

Thank you in advance for your prompt help with this request. I look forward to receiving a copy of your documentation.

Thank you,

Joe Madigan LIB QFA
    Head of Customer Data

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn YouTube bankofireland.com

View Online | Privacy

You have received this email because you are an existing Bank of Ireland customer. This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify us immediately at MailMonitor@boi.com and delete the email from your system. It is possible for data transmitted by email to be deliberately or accidentally corrupted or intercepted. For this reason, where the communication is by email, the Bank of Ireland Group does not accept any responsibility for any breach of confidence which may arise through the use of this medium. This footnote also confirms that this email message has been swept for the presence of known computer viruses.

Bank of Ireland Group includes Bank of Ireland Group plc, the Governor and Company of the Bank of Ireland (“Bank of Ireland”) and Bank of Ireland (UK) plc. If you are unsure as to which company is your product provider, you can contact us at your nearest branch or, if you are in the UK, at the registered office of Bank of Ireland (UK) plc at Bow Bells House, 1 Bread Street, London EC4M 9BE. Bank of Ireland is incorporated by charter, registered in Ireland with limited liability, with its registered office at 40 Mespil Rd, Dublin 4, D04 C2N4, with registered number C-1. Bank of Ireland is regulated by the Central Bank of Ireland. Bank of Ireland Group plc is a public limited company incorporated in Ireland, with its registered office at 40 Mespil Rd, Dublin 4, D04 C2N4 and registered number 593672.

In the United Kingdom Bank of Ireland is authorised by the Central Bank of Ireland and the Prudential Regulation Authority and subject to limited regulation by the Financial Conduct Authority and Prudential Regulation Authority. Details about the extent of our authorisation and regulation by the Prudential Regulation Authority, and regulation by the Financial Conduct Authority are available from us on request.

Bank of Ireland UK is a trading name of Bank of Ireland (UK) plc which is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority, registered in England & Wales (No. 7022885), with its registered office at Bow Bells House, 1 Bread Street, London EC4M 9BE.

Bank of Ireland carries out some activities that do not require a licence or authorisation from the Central Bank of Ireland and are not regulated by it. For a full list of these unregulated activities please see the Bank of Ireland website.

Bank of Ireland is regulated by the Central Bank of Ireland.
    Bank of Ireland Mortgage Bank trading as Bank of Ireland Mortgages and The Mortgage Store is regulated by the Central Bank of Ireland."

Hi there,

Thanks for getting in touch with us here.

I can confirm that we are sending out emails like this to some of our customers and the one you have quoted does seem to be legitimate. 
    Thanks again,
    Darren.  

• Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

Thanks for asking this question. I got an email like that too.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I also got a reminder by text today. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

Yeah, I've gotten two reminders but I thought it was a scam until I saw this post - I've gotten reminders texts alright (one saying I got an email, and another saying I got a letter) - however, I've seen neither...

If there's slow take up on this, maybe others are in the same boat as me :(

[edit] For people in my position, this phrase from the website is pure gold :rolleyes: :

"The types of documentation that we will accept and the return options that are available to you are outlined in the letter / email you received from us."

Is it secret or something?
    [/edit]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Alison

Hi Inspector Gadget,

Thanks for getting in touch today.

Our Customer Contact Team can look into this on 0818 200 399 / 00353 1 2500399.  Sorry if the SMS reminders have caused confusion. An Advisor can check the email and address on file and ensure it's sent to you.

Many Thanks
    Alison

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

If it's of any help, I did mine online. There was a link on my email that brought up the list of what was accepted (see here). I uploaded a copy of the documents, and that was it. I did have to input a unique customer number (not the one used for online banking, and not my bank account n.) that I was given on the email, though. I haven't heard anything back from them, so I assume they're ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

New Home wrote: »
    If it's of any help, I did mine online. There was a link on my email that brought up the list of what was accepted (see here). I uploaded a copy of the documents, and that was it. I did have to input a unique customer number (not the one used for online banking, and not my bank account n.) that I was given on the email, though. I haven't heard anything back from them, so I assume they're ok.
    Thanks for that. Still need the magic identifier number that comes in the letter/e-mail (which makes sense) so I need to make double sure a letter didn't come in, though I certainly don't remember seeing one. 

Cheers,
    Gadget

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Alison

Thanks for that. Still need the magic identifier number that comes in the letter/e-mail (which makes sense) so I need to make double sure a letter didn't come in, though I certainly don't remember seeing one. 

Cheers,
    Gadget

Hi Inspector Gadget

If you call our Customer Contact Team on 0818 200 399 / 00353 1 2500399 an Advisor can arrange the email/ letter to you.

These will include your individual reference number. Sorry the previous mails have not reached. Please be assured the Team can help and resolve this for you.

Many Thanks
    Alison

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

Funny I thought it was a scam too. Something about the format / feel of the email.  Why should we submit yjeze documents?

It's compliance with some EU regulation against money laundering, IIRC.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: John

[font=Arial","sans-serif]Hi New Home,[/font]
    [font=Arial","sans-serif] [/font]

[font=Arial","sans-serif]Yes that is correct.[/font]

[font=Arial","sans-serif] [/font]

[font=Arial","sans-serif]We are currently requesting up to date Photo ID and proof of address from our customers as per Irish and EU law. These requests are being sent by email and post. If you are unsure of any email you have received claiming to be from bank of Ireland, please call the Customer Contact Team on 0818 200399 for further assistance.[/font]

[font=Arial","sans-serif]Thanks.[/font]

[font=Arial","sans-serif]John[/font]

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭sibergoth

hi

I'm trying to upload my documents to the online portal. however your web site is not working.

www.bankofireland.com/MyID;
    this works - but when i fill in my AP number and rest of details, then click next - it just sits spinning forever and never progresses.

https://form.bankofireland.com/customer-data-upload-2/

can you feed the hamsters in the server room?
    cheers. 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: John

sibergoth wrote: »
    hi

I'm trying to upload my documents to the online portal. however your web site is not working.

www.bankofireland.com/MyID;
    this works - but when i fill in my AP number and rest of details, then click next - it just sits spinning forever and never progresses.

https://form.bankofireland.com/customer-data-upload-2/

can you feed the hamsters in the server room?
    cheers. 

Hi Sibergoth,

Thanks for reaching out to us today.

Can I ask what type of file you are using to upload the documents? We would accept both Jpeg and PDF files when uploading documents. However jpeg files would tend to be larger in size and as a result may be restricted when being uploaded. If you lower the resolution of the jpeg file or up load the document as a PDF (which would have a smaller file size) this should then be accepted when uploading the documents.

Many Thanks

John

Advertisement