Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Copy self generated W 8 USB recovery stick

Options
  • 09-11-2018 2:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭

I want to move the data (13Gb) from my W 8 Recovery USB to another USB stick. Is it a straight forward copy & paste?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Why would you do that? You still need ~16Gb or more drive for that.

Where it should be no problem, as long your "other" USB stick is same size or more and it is made "bootable" and formatted properly, personally have not done this so cant state 100%

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

You need to clone the drive, rather than just copying and pasting, if you are looking to restore an operating system from it. Can you create a new recovery drive with the new device?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

mrtom wrote: »
    I want to move the data (13Gb) from my W 8 Recovery USB to another USB stick. Is it a straight forward copy & paste?

Does the USB stick contain 'data' ---- files you stored there
    or an operating system?

If you want to make a true copy of the USB stick including partition structure and maybe boot function then copy'n'paste will not do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭mrtom

MarkR wrote: »
    You need to clone the drive, rather than just copying and pasting, if you are looking to restore an operating system from it. Can you create a new recovery drive with the new device?

Plan to transfer to another formatted 16Gb USB. Need to use the original for its USB 3 properties elsewhere. How do I clone rather than copy ? Dont need to use it now, just housekeeping.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/create-image-usb-drive/

If you clone it, make sure to test the new one before wiping the old one. If you're not sure how, stop now.

Advertisement