Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FTTH installation equipment ONT / ODP / Wireless Routers etc...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Marlow wrote: »
    What's your opinion on Apple devices and repairing them ?

That's your answer.

/M

I dont know I have only repaired windows PC's since 1998 and have steered well clear of apple products over the years :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

I dont know I have only repaired windows PC's since 1998 and have steered well clear of apple products over the years :D

There you go. So you should steer away from all combined routers with ONT build in. It's the Apple device of the FTTH world :)

/M

I didn’t forget that, i would consider it part of the reason that all in ones are not as good in general. I prefer to spend a bit more on stuff that works really well and will last rather than replacing multiple times.

sorry to have to say it - its a 'throwaway' times we are living in - even with ONT's supplied by eir if someones internet is down and the ONT is suspect I should imagine the old ONT is whipped off the wall and replaced there and then on the spot with a new unit and cannot see an installer getting out his soldering iron and repairing the faulty ONT unit - he would just swap it out with a brand new one and go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Andy I've tried to answer your questions and I hope I have been of help.
    I've been trying to find a combo ont/router that has support for 1 gbit wan and 5ghz WIFI. It would be interesting to see what type of installations these are used in around the world.
    You said you were doing some investigating on the matter, any update as of yet?

There you go. So you should steer away from all combined routers with ONT build in. It's the Apple device of the FTTH world :)

/M

my all-in-one printer is made by Epson - my all in one android is a phone/camera/mp3 player and internet device made by Huawei :D

• Advertisement

tuxy wrote: »
    Andy I've tried to answer your questions and I hope I have been of help.
    I've been trying to find a combo ont/router that has support for 1 gbit wan and 5ghz WIFI. It would be interesting to see what type of installations these are used in around the world.
    You said you were doing some investigating on the matter, any update as of yet?

no, because I have been active on here :D

well I have had dinner and repaired a laptop as well and gone to the toilet a few times - not had enough time to look up specifications of combined ONT/Router devices but thanks for investigating on my behalf ... if any show up can u let me know please :)

well I have had dinner and repaired a laptop as well and gone to the toilet a few times - not had enough time to look up specifications of combined ONT/Router devices but thanks for investigating on my behalf ... if any show up can u let me know please :)

Sorry. You won't be spoon fed.

Go and do some research and come up with something, that's up to spec.

Only then return to boards.

/M

Sorry. You won't be spoon fed.

Go and do some research and come up with something, that's up to spec.

Only then return to boards.

/M

OK - owner of Boards.ie :D

what am I looking for ? - I am on this webpage:

https://e.huawei.com/en/products/fixed-network/access/ont/optical-terminal

Hang on ... you're stlll asking to be spoon-fed without having taken any of the information you've been given, taken the advice and been thinking for yourself ?

Honestly ?

Go buy an Apple computer, retire and be happy for the rest of your life.

And yes.. give you repairing computers.

:p

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

but does a rogue router mean:

"Any ONT that performs outside of the OLT specification for whatever reason regardless of manufacturer or 'quality' and impacts other users on the same split."

A third party ONT may work just fine, if the provider allows it to function. That a service provider chooses to only deploy a specific piece of hardware (likely on a specific spftware revision) makes their network predictable and easier to manage, which is in their interest.

I would actually describe it as best industry practice for a wholesale provider to separate the ONT and Residential Gateway. While 'its lovely to have 1 box' is a fine sentiment, I don't think its 'better', and I have already explained some other reasons why it is preferable for retail providers and even power users that like to run their own residential gateway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭savemejebus

sorry to have to say it - its a 'throwaway' times we are living in - even with ONT's supplied by eir if someones internet is down and the ONT is suspect I should imagine the old ONT is whipped off the wall and replaced there and then on the spot with a new unit and cannot see an installer getting out his soldering iron and repairing the faulty ONT unit - he would just swap it out with a brand new one and go

Not a problem for a low cost ont. quite a different story with a decent router with enough power, WiFi coverage and enough gigabit ports to be useful. I’ll take my more expensive router matched with the ont over a throwaway all in one every day of the week.

ok - Huawei Echolife-hg8245 -

Connector= SC/APC tick

Transmission rate:
    Rx: 2.488 Gbit/sTx: 1.244 Gbit/s = that should handle 1gbps download rate - tick

TR-069 - tick

ACL - tick

VLan tagging - tick

ah right - I think I have found its weakness if I am reading this correctly , it doesnt appear to have 802.11ac wireless lan from what I can see on this model , I thought it did but it looks like B/G/N - that would be a problem with 1gbps package - strange that really thought that router had 802.11ac

back to the drawing board :)

Not a problem for a low cost ont. quite a different story with a decent router with enough power, WiFi coverage and enough gigabit ports to be useful. I’ll take my more expensive router matched with the ont over a throwaway all in one every day of the week.

what router have you yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

^^^
    I'm confused as to why you are bothering to try and find the ideal device that you cannot possibly use anyhow?

Just to save you some time, most of these devices are used in closed networks by providers such as China Telecom. China Telecom offer a max speed of 200 mbit to customers over fibre. That is why you will often see many of these devices without fast WIFI and WAN support.
    If it's used by China Telecom you can probably ignore it.

Also ... being served by China Telecom means, that you have only chinese internet.

The world is blocked .. behind the chinese (fire) wall. Those lads are worse than the brits.

/M

Isn't Andy a Brit? It all makes sense now!

MBSnr wrote: »
    ^^^
    I'm confused as to why you are bothering to try and find the ideal device that you cannot possibly use anyhow?

i'm too confused at your question

ah right I see - HG8245Q has dual band 802.11ac

tuxy wrote: »
    Just to save you some time, most of these devices are used in closed networks by providers such as China Telecom. China Telecom offer a max speed of 200 mbit to customers over fibre. That is why you will often see many of these devices without fast WIFI and WAN support.
    If it's used by China Telecom you can probably ignore it.

ah right thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Jesus christ, this is still going? Can we move this to the preschool forum perhaps?

THE
    OLT
    IS
    PROVISIONED
    FOR
    EACH
    ONT

YOU
    CANNOT
    HAVE
    YOUR
    OWN
    ONT
    PROVISIONED.

Its hardware ID is how the OE/SIRO network knows that this is 22 Dublin Road and is on 150Mb but that is 23 Dublin Road on 1000Mb.

/Thread

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭savemejebus

what router have you yourself?

Fritz!box 7560 and an Archer C7 AC 1750 in WDS bridge mode (used to get my full speed (300mbps) to desktops and consoles without wireless cards).

Bought the router from the ISP as part of getting connected and am lucky that it is a good one. If it wasn’t, if I’d gone with Eir and got the F2000 I’d be using the Archer C7 for my WiFi needs with the F2000 in bridge mode while waiting to get the money together to replace the F2000 and using a €15 xiaomi router for wds at +- 90mbps on my wired boxes.

ED E wrote: »
    Jesus christ, this is still going? Can we move this to the preschool forum perhaps?

THE
    OLT
    IS
    PROVISIONED
    FOR
    EACH
    ONT

YOU
    CANNOT
    HAVE
    YOUR
    OWN
    ONT
    PROVISIONED.

Its hardware ID is how the OE/SIRO network knows that this is 22 Dublin Road and is on 150Mb but that is 23 Dublin Road on 1000Mb.

/Thread

dont feel obliged that you have to keep answering - i have moved my discussion to a new thread - what is your problem now! ... if you feel i am ignoring yours and others advice and keep repeating myself then dont post any more on my thread, skip past it and move onto something you are interested in - simple! -

Fritz!box 7560 and an Archer C7 AC 1750 in WDS bridge mode (used to get my full speed (300mbps) to desktops and consoles without wireless cards).

Bought the router from the ISP as part of getting connected and am lucky that it is a good one. If it wasn’t, if I’d gone with Eir and got the F2000 I’d be using the Archer C7 for my WiFi needs with the F2000 in bridge mode while waiting to get the money together to replace the F2000 and using a €15 xiaomi router for wds at +- 90mbps on my wired boxes.

yes, a lot of fans of the Fritz box on the FTTH rural thread - the new Fritz box looks better than the 'cadillac' looking one :) mind you i suppose with a lot of people it doesnt matter how nice the router looks but more like how reliable it performs and the best wireless coverage in the house

'cadillac'

Ferrari.
    mind you i suppose with a lot of people it doesnt matter how nice the router looks but more like how reliable it performs and the best wireless coverage in the house

Well. The Fritz!Box beats the hell out of what the other providers are supplying there.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 14,008 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

yes, a lot of fans of the Fritz box on the FTTH rural thread - the new Fritz box looks better than the 'cadillac' looking one :) mind you i suppose with a lot of people it doesnt matter how nice the router looks but more like how reliable it performs and the best wireless coverage in the house

For anyone concerned with how well their broadband works, the looks of a device takes a very far away back seat.

IMO, it is beyond ridiculous that 'looks' come into the equation at all, unless there are two equally specified devices with different 'looks'.

Ah sure ...

if it doesn't look right, it's best to go to Specs*****.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭digiman

For anyone concerned with how well their broadband works, the looks of a device takes a very far away back seat.

IMO, it is beyond ridiculous that 'looks' come into the equation at all, unless there are two equally specified devices with different 'looks'.

You wouldn't believe how many customers cancel their service because of "looks"

For the majority on this forum it's probably not a big factor but we are not are a fair measure of the general public.

Also, it is possible to get your own ONT authenticated if you knew what you were doing but it could stand out against every other ONT and would be up against the risk of being manually booted of the network, although that's probably unlikely.

wonder if there is a list devised somewhere that can be downloaded from the Internet which tells what wireless router a particular ISP offers for FTTH does anyone know.

I know airwire offer that old fashioned looking Fritz box then (although I think the new modern fritz boxes have come in now so they may be supplying them soon)

Eir - I think its the F2000 (a rebadged Huawei HG659b)

Not sure what routers west connect supply

and I dont know what vodafone offer - does anyone know?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭BArra

Advertisement