Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FTTH installation equipment ONT / ODP / Wireless Routers etc...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

fritzelly wrote: »
    Breaking news - you don't own a thread you started.

You are just looking for someone to agree with you and do what is not allowed, won't work and will end up screwing everyone else up
    You are not allowed to interfere with OE's network - that means implanting your own ONT on to their network. End of story, stop recycling the same crap.

I am not going to do it myself - I was mentioning though if someone else gives another ONT it a go and it works then I am all ears and would be interested . What is wrong with that - some people in this world do take chances and experiment ... even with things they are prohibited to do ,

• Registered Users Posts: 17,444 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

I am not going to do it myself - I was mentioning though if someone else gives another ONT it a go and it works then I am all ears and would be interested . What is wrong with that - some people in this world do take chances and experiment ... even with things they are prohibited to do ,

Not gonna happen, good god man
    Why would anyone else try it to satisfy your curiousity.

OK, I tried it and got my connection cut off and told I could never use the OE network again. Still ended up having to pay eir for the whole contract length even tho I had no service because i tried to use my own hardware.
    Are you happy now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

So fritzelly is correct. All you're waiting for is someone, anyone, to tell you it's OK to do. And this is why you keep asking the same question because eventually someone will be clueless enough to tell you to go for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

NEWS: "Andy from Sligo jailed, as he was found guilty in aiding and encouraging crimes against national telecoms infrastructure and thus tampering with critical emergency infrastructure."

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 14,008 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Not gonna happen, good god man
    Why would anyone else try it to satisfy your curiousity.

OK, I tried it and got my connection cut off and told I could never use the OE network again. Still ended up having to pay eir for the whole contract length even tho I had no service because i tried to use my own hardware.
    Are you happy now.

Are they taking any legal action against you for 'interfering' with their network?

• Advertisement

Marlow wrote: »
    NEWS: "Andy from Sligo jailed, as he was found guilty in aiding and encouraging crimes against national telecoms infrastructure and thus tampering with critical emergency infrastructure."

/M

Pleads insanity, says he hasn't been listing to his doc's(psyc) advice
    dont worry - i go to the doctors sometimes (only when dragged) and ask questions and then use my discretion as to follow up on their recommendations and advice too :)

Are they taking any legal action against you for 'interfering' with their network?

If you cost them money ? Absolutely.

And when you take a cluster with 30+ customers down, it's going to cost them money.

/M

Breaking news - you don't own a thread you started.

breaking news - nor do people posting replies in a thread own the thread , and cannot ask for it to be locked because they dont like it

or silence me because they are upset that I am not necessarily taking their advice or agreeing with them

if people are fed up with giving me advice why are they constantly answering back on this thread I have made why are they not going onto other threads.

when I started this thread I didnt even think anyone would answer me because it seemed I was already pee'ing of people on the FTTH rural thread ... so I started my own thread .. and then people crossed over from the FTTH rural thread and started on me ... what is the agenda here and why do people feel the urgent need to constantly reply to me when I am not after advice from them ... well not useless advice like "you have asked this question a milion time and you have got the answer a million times and you go off and do your own thing or think you know best yada yada yada" - why? - why are people even worried now whether I choose to act or not act on the advice I am given or not ?

people need a lesson in that just because someone asks for information they can choose what to do with the information they are given and do with it what they feel is right for them .

If people think its rude , or havent got patience with someone asking the same questions sorry and all that - go and answer someone else then maybe someone you think will take your advice and leave me bloody alone.

saying "you ask the same questions" and "you dont follow the advice given" and other things like that dont help me one iota to understand things any clearer its a waste of your time writing and my time reading it and repying to it I have got better things to do .. I dont know about yourselves???

Also ... Andy ... your repetitive asking the same questions over and over and over again ..

And your asking questions, that are answered in other threads ...

Is against the Forum Charter & Broadband FAQ.

You should have read that first.

It says right there at the top, second bulletin:
    -Please try to use search before posting a question as your question could be very common and asked every almost every day/week.

Gets even worse when you ask a question, you've asked yourself previously.

/M

Are you happy now.

good - have you really tried this IRL and did this really happen? or are you just being hypothetical and making this all up? :)

• Advertisement

As Marlow said yes they would, normal people don't do it. Even a case for saying its hacking of their network which it is

tuxy wrote: »
    So fritzelly is correct. All you're waiting for is someone, anyone, to tell you it's OK to do. And this is why you keep asking the same question because eventually someone will be clueless enough to tell you to go for it?

nope, it would be handy to let someone else try it though and if something went wrong and they had the knowledge to put it right and not affect other peoples connections or the OE network then yes - why not , if someone was willing?

Already established I cant or wont do it / try it out myself

/M

yes thats correct I held a gun to someones head and said "put that ONT on the network now or I pull the trigger! scum!" :D

If you cost them money ? Absolutely.

And when you take a cluster with 30+ customers down, it's going to cost them money.

/M

I am predicting this is hypothetical at this stage at the moment .. and hasnt actually happened or never happened - even when eircom /telecom eireann were a state owned company and someone damaged the copper phone network somehow?

do you want people to take you serious ? - show a case where someone has been prosecuted / jailed for damaging the network?

nope, it would be handy to let someone else try it though and if something went wrong and they had the knowledge to put it right and not affect other peoples connections or the OE network then yes - why not , if someone was willing?

But it's been established that no one who understands enough about how the network works would do something that stupid. Only someone who didn't fully understand would try this.
    You have people who work for ISPs and even KN field tech's telling you why it's a terrible thing to even try and you're too ignorant to listen.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

has anyone physically tried a different ONT ?

I'll repeat this again, because it's a very important point you're avoiding:

The ONT is part of open eir's network.

You're talking about replacing a part of someone else's telecommunications network. You have no right or authority to do that. If you want to faff around with ONTs, build your own PON network - Ubiquiti sell some pretty cost-effective gear.

It's not your ONT. Don't f*ck about with it. Leave it alone.

But it's been established that no one who understands enough about how the network works would do something that stupid. Only someone who didn't fully understand would try this.
    You have people who work for ISPs and even KN field tech's telling you why it's a terrible thing to even try and you're too ignorant to listen.

ah no, I am listening ... and i am taking note . otherwise I would have ordered one and tried it myself and I am not going to

One reason for this thread to be locked...
    You are asking for advice as to how, or for someone to, interfere with the incumbent telco

Do you realise how stupid this is?

ah no, I am listening ... and i am taking note . otherwise I would have ordered one and tried it myself and I am not going to

Now you are contradicting yourself. If you were listening you would not make idiotic comments like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

good - have you really tried this IRL and did this really happen? or are you just being hypothetical and making this all up? :)

One reason is gpon sprays all your neighbours download traffic down "your" fibre too

If they let anyone connect anything( that's say cert'd but not tested ) - someone may get extra curios with their new toy and notice the above

You could* then watch all your neighbours downloads

*t&c's apply

• Advertisement

oscarBravo wrote: »
    I'll repeat this again, because it's a very important point you're avoiding:

The ONT is part of open eir's network.

You're talking about replacing a part of someone else's telecommunications network. You have no right or authority to do that. If you want to faff around with ONTs, build your own PON network - Ubiquiti sell some pretty cost-effective gear.

It's not your ONT. Don't f*ck about with it. Leave it alone.

and I am not going to touch it - thanks. Just saying though if someone does feel brave / silly / inquisitive or whatever and thinks "I wonder what really would happen if I unplug the patch cable and put it into a combined wireless ONT what would happen?" - I would like to hear about it - not forcing anyone. But if they did and posted pictures up and gave a step by step on what happened regardless what anyone else thinks about it I would like to see the outcome ... nothing wrong in that is there? - I am not forcing someone to do it , but if they want to have a go like fair play to ya :rolleyes:

I dont want anyone to break the law like . If you (or anyone) thinks it will /does or are going to get caught or if OE dont even get to know about it or you think it might degrade the network ... then dont do it! ...

But it is illegal to tamper with a network you do not own and it will degrade/comprise it so that's the end of it.
    There can never be a post about it on boards as it's illegal. Go to a forum that encourages illegal activity.

Now you are contradicting yourself. If you were listening you would not make idiotic comments like this.

I am going to try and find a post (I dont know if its in this thread or the other rural FTTH thread) where someone else said it could be possible "if you know what you are doing" - I am sure i didnt read it

...if they want to have a go like fair play to ya :rolleyes:
    No. Not fair play to them. I don't care whether it's you or someone else. It's not your ONT, and it's not theirs either.

If you want to know what happens when you plug random crap into a GPON network, build a GPON network and plug random crap into it. If you're not curious enough to bother building your own GPON network, then let it go.

Those of us who are interested in networks build our own networks (including fibre networks) to play with. We don't vandalise other people's networks (or try to entice others to vandalise other people's networks) just to see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Anyway, you'd achieve nothing really

Get new box.
    Measure output of old box
    Measure output of remote yoke
    Adjust new box to suit
    Spoof serial number/password of old box
    Connect it up

Yay ! internets

same as you had before, still no faster, still have to pay

I am going to try and find a post (I dont know if its in this thread or the other rural FTTH thread) where someone else said it could be possible "if you know what you are doing" - I am sure i didnt read it

If I registered a new account and said I had installed my own ONT and posted a few pictures(fakes) would that make you happy? Congrats, you finally have the go ahead to do something stupid. There are plenty of trolls out there ready to take advantage of peoples stupidity and I have to say I'd be tempted if I didn't think the post would be deleted right away. :pac:

But it is illegal to tamper with a network you do not own and it will degrade/comprise it so that's the end of it.
    There can never be a post about it on boards as it's illegal. Go to a forum that encourages illegal activity.

I see what you are saying .. you are saying I am condoning illegal activity by saying that I would like to find out what happened if someone tried a different ONT - I am only condoning illegal activity if I forced someone to do it .. I am not forcing anyone to do anything and if they did go ahead and do it they would have to be accountable for their own actions saing in court "Andy told me to do it or suggested that I do it" is not going to hold up in court :rolleyes:

by the way - I think degrade/compromise is just a theory at this present time - if its a kosher ONT made by a Kosher manufacturer and generic and can be used on any Gpon network (and is) er then I cannot see why it would compimise or degrade anyone elses connection - nobody know because no-one as far as I can tell has physically tried out say a Huawei HG8245 unit on the network - this is the point

Did you not read the posts about SIRO equipment not working on the Eir network even though they are the same type of network? It was in response to some of your posts so I'm sure you have.
    Do you find the English language challenging?

oscarBravo wrote: »
    No. Not fair play to them. I don't care whether it's you or someone else. It's not your ONT, and it's not theirs either.

If you want to know what happens when you plug random crap into a GPON network, build a GPON network and plug random crap into it. If you're not curious enough to bother building your own GPON network, then let it go.

Those of us who are interested in networks build our own networks (including fibre networks) to play with. We don't vandalise other people's networks (or try to entice others to vandalise other people's networks) just to see what happens.

OK then lets re-word it then . Those that are interested in building Gpon networks , can you try out a generic Huawei HG8245 ONT/wireless router and if you can I would like to know if it degrades /vandalise the other connection on your Gpon network you have built ? :)

• Advertisement

OK then lets re-word it then . Those that are interested in building Gpon networks , can you try out a generic Huawei HG8245 ONT/wireless router and if you can I would like to know if it degrades /vandalise the other connection on your Gpon network you have built ? :)

If you really want to know, build a network. If you don't want to build a network, then you clearly don't care enough.

Advertisement