Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FTTH installation equipment ONT / ODP / Wireless Routers etc...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Huawei HG8245 ..................

Them are only for third-world countries

HN8255W is what you need

• Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

tuxy wrote: »
    Did you not read the posts about SIRO equipment not working on the Eir network even though they are the same type of network? It was in response to some of your posts so I'm sure you have.
    Do you find the English language challenging?

no sorry about that I dont recall reading it - i am only human (posts are so fast moving sometimes I may miss a few posts if they are coming in thick and fast ) - and sometimes I havent got time to re-read the whole thread all over again

why did you have to end that off personal attack at the end, did you have to add that jibe? ... say if i did find the English Language challenging ? - or say if I did have a learning difficulty or something like that? - are you a prejudice or judgmental kind of person are ye?

oscarBravo wrote: »
    If you really want to know, build a network. If you don't want to build a network, then you clearly don't care enough.

oh no, I havent got that kind of expertise - wouldnt know where to start and is it expensive? -

Do I care enough ... I dunno. when I get my FTTH I will just be glad to get it whatever equipment it comes with - would I be interested if someone tried an all in one ONT with built in wireless and it worked .. then hell yes , I'd love to know if it worked and how it worked out for them

gctest50 wrote: »
    Them are only for third-world countries

HN8255W is what you need

ah yeah - I was looking at the HG8245Q dual band 802.11ac model

the normal HG8245 only has wireless N

• Registered Users Posts: 17,444 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Some threads are interesting, some just start as pure trolling and prove themselves as such so...
    Signing off

• Advertisement

fritzelly wrote: »
    Some threads are interesting, some just start as pure trolling and prove themselves as such so...
    Signing off

nite, sweet dreams - I was just about to retire myself ... I would have done an hour ago if i didnt have to answer people on this thread ... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

The chances of the combined Huawei RG device you are looking at working (if the serial is configured on the OLT) is very high if the OLT is also a Huawei device and both are on recent software releases. (Despite putting the PON into an unpredictable/untested state).

The point people are making is that the above knowledge doesn't help you in this case, as you will never get the serial number configured on the OLT with your existing service provider, and the overwhelming advice (from those with experience here) is that this is best practice for this kind of wholesale based network.

My specific advice to you, is go look for Ethernet based Routers, get the best WiFi you can, with all the bells and whistles you need it and connect it to your ONT's Ethernet port.

You get the Router you want, that you can upgrade whenever you want in the future - with no worries about having to get your service provider to do anything to support you.

Snaga wrote: »
    The chances of the combined Huawei RG device you are looking at working (if the serial is configured on the OLT) is very high if the OLT is also a Huawei device and both are on recent software releases. (Despite putting the PON into an unpredictable/untested state).

The point people are making is that the above knowledge doesn't help you in this case, as you will never get the serial number configured on the OLT with your existing service provider, and the overwhelming advice (from those with experience here) is that this is best practice for this kind of wholesale based network.

My specific advice to you, is go look for Ethernet based Routers, get the best WiFi you can, with all the bells and whistles you need it and connect it to your ONT's Ethernet port.

You get the Router you want, that you can upgrade whenever you want in the future - with no worries about having to get your service provider to do anything to support you.

thank you very much for the reply Snaga much appreciated. I think I have understood. so what you have said is that if both the original ONT supplied by OE is Huawei (which it is it seems, well the small one that fits into the cradle now on latest installs) and you had one of these all-in-one ONT with built in Dual Band ac wireless router and (i think someone said earlier on in the thread) if the serial was 'spoofed' and the right parameters entered from the original ONT(i wouldnt even know how to go about that - sounds like some serious hacking of the ONT , most I have hacked is rooting android phones :) ) If it were to be spoofed with this serial number and right parameters there is a high chance it will get the pon signal and stay on it and the OLT at the exchange would be none the wiser and keep you connected and not kick you off? am not going to do it myself i'm just fishing for information and see if it could be done , but theriotically if someone copied the required details of the OE supplied ONT and then put them into a generic huawei ONT/wireless router all in one then the chances are high it would work?

if someone did do that and successfully got such an all in one device working properly and it wasnt damaging the OE infrastructure in any way or affecting any other users how likely would OE say "you are not using the required ONT" and tell you to remove it or have your fibre connection discontinued would you reckon? - if it was all working OK or is it likely would they just turn a blind eye and let you get on with it ?

when I do finally get my FTTH installed and if my ISP agrees to it , I most probably will end up swapping out the ISP supplied wireless router and put my trusted HG659 wireless router in its place because I am used to it and i find it alright for my needs - although some people say its got weak wi-fi and some say its a rubbish router I find it alright. if permitted by my ISP I will just plug the ethernet cable from the ONT into the WAN socket of the HG659 and set up the Vlan tag and just carry on using it. I'm not getting any VOIP in the package so i shouldnt need any SIP details and the router has dual band ac wireless as well (even though I am only getting the 150mbps package)

sorry mod's if this post is classed as hacking and against boards rules because someone earlier on was mentioning about spoofing the serial number on a device or something but if it is can you just remove this post and leave the other posts intact on this thread thanks because i would still like to discuss about the equipment used in Irish FTTH installations.

if someone did do that and successfully got such an all in one device working properly and it wasnt damaging the OE infrastructure in any way or affecting any other users how likely would OE say "you are not using the required ONT" and tell you to remove it or have your fibre connection discontinued would you reckon? - if it was all working OK or is it likely would they just turn a blind eye and let you get on with it ?
    . [/B]

Just because it might work now, does not mean it will work later (after network upgrades for example). OE wont be testing that combination of hardware and software as part of their upgrade test plan. (This has been explained already several times, you are forgetting things that steer you away from your preferred course of action again, focus....FOCUS!)

Only OE can answer the question for you regarding staying on the network - but I can say that if it was my network and I discovered a user spoofed a serial number to get a Rogue device onto the network which caused an outage or degradation in service for others - I would have them spliced off the network in a heartbeat.

Just because it might work now, does not mean it will work later (after network upgrades for example). OE wont be testing that combination of hardware and software as part of their upgrade test plan. (This has been explained already several times, you are forgetting things that steer you away from your preferred course of action again, focus....FOCUS!)

Only OE can answer the question for you regarding staying on the network - but I can say that if it was my network and I discovered a user spoofed a serial number to get a Rogue device onto the network which caused an outage or degradation in service for others - I would have them spliced off the network in a heartbeat.

thanks yes I forgot about upgrade thing - isnt that done by TR-069? so if your new ONT/wireless router had TR-069 and it was ticked in settings they could push a firmware upgrade to their supplied ONT and it would be the wrong firmware for the all-in-one ONT/wireless device and either brick it or just not accept it.

This rogue device , do you think a genuine Huaewi device would be classed as a rogue device or something that would break the infrastructure or affect other users ? - I could understand a cheap china chingyana happy day ONT device doing that :) but I wouldnt have though a kosher Huawei device. ?

• Advertisement

This rogue device , do you think a genuine Huaewi device would be classed as a rogue device or something that would break the infrastructure or affect other users ? - I could understand a cheap china chingyana happy day ONT device doing that :) but I wouldnt have though a kosher Huawei device. ?

I explained what a Rogue device is 2 days ago.
    "Any ONT that performs outside of the OLT specification for whatever reason regardless of manufacturer or 'quality' and impacts other users on the same split."

Which part is hard to understand?

I explained what a Rogue device is.

I missed it sorry - I will go searching after i have had my fry up .. was it on this thread?
    Which part is hard to understand?

most of it :)

EDIT: oh God sorry - I have seen it. I am not with it today , half asleep ...

I missed it sorry - I will go searching after i have had my fry up .. was it on this thread?

Yes. Page 5.

I was misunderstanding, I thought rogue devices were cheaply made devices with terrible components inside or shoddy made that could ruin the network

• Registered Users Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭BArra

How was the fry up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Posting LMGTFY is not smart or clever but obviously something is going wrong when you told me a month ago you would google to find out what a rouge ONT is.
    I hope this helps, it mostly links to articles in layman terms. If you have problems with the written language you can search the same terms on youtube and find videos.

http://bfy.tw/Ko88
    http://bfy.tw/Ko8E
    http://bfy.tw/3Tyk
    http://bfy.tw/5n5y

BArra wrote: »
    How was the fry up?

very lovely thanks - i substituted the black and white pudding for baked beans ...

...you told me a month ago you would google to find out what a rouge ONT is.

I say a lot of things .. whether i get round to doing it is another matter.

My memory is shocking thing lately as well . i'm only in my 50's but sometimes I cannot even remember what i did last week or looked up - i most probably have full blown dementia by the time i get to 60 ....

maybe I looked it up - but forgot what i read

That's ok, sounds like the your time would be better spent rereading. Make notes if you have to.
    If you can came back with new questions we will have made outstanding progress.

I dont know if i have asked this before , or did but cant remember the answer so sorry if i am repeating myself , but there is no problem when i come to get FTTH installed of swapping out the ISP supplied router with my existing Huawei HG659 router is there if I find that there is hardly any difference between the ISP supplied router and the HG659 - the only thing I suppose I would loose is any technical support from the ISP because they will say i am not using the supplied router. - is that the only thing I have to be aware of or is there anything else I should be aware of using my existing router? - I suppose I will have to set the Vlan tag .. what is that 10 is it? - and just set the settings to DHCP wan/Wlan mode wont I - it wouldnt be static address the ISP gives you on FTTH is it?

• Advertisement

Correct, one of the great things about the ONT being separate is you have a very large selection of routers you can use. Just about anything reasonably modern will work, especially on the 150/300 packages.
    It won't be a static address but I've had the same IP for months now.
    If you need a static address to connect to use something like No-IP or I believe Eir and possibly other providers will sell you a static IP.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Eir and possibly other providers will sell you a static IP.

Vodafone rent them and I believe Eir started to copy this recently. Total rip.

Correct, one of the great things about the ONT being separate is you have a very large selection of routers you can use. Just about anything reasonably modern will work, especially on the 150/300 packages.
    It won't be a static address but I've had the same IP for months now.
    If you need a static address to connect to use something like No-IP or I believe Eir and possibly other providers will sell you a static IP.

ah right - thanks

ED E wrote: »

Sure is but some people will pay for it so why not...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Airwire do static IP for free afaik

anyone know what the model number for the standard OE Huawei ONT? - is it a EchoLife HG8310M ? - Just interested on reading up on it and its specifications and download a manual just for curiositys sake nothing else

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

ED E wrote: »

IPv4 are getting scarce. Very. If we roll any more rural FTTH out, they'll be gone in no time :p

But in all honesty, you've got to get inventive to get a block these days ... or pay through the nose to rent/buy.

/M

Stop making me feel bad for using up two ipv4 addresses. Eir forced me into it with their stupid voip implamintation that I never asked for.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Stop making me feel bad for using up two ipv4 addresses. Eir forced me into it with their stupid voip implamintation that I never asked for.

It's not your problem. It's theirs !! If you wrestled two IPs (using loopholes), then fair play. That's all.

/M

• Advertisement

I had 3 for a few seconds(well probably longer because of the lease time) but left it at that as I'm sure someone in Eir would take notice at some point.

Advertisement