Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FTTH installation equipment ONT / ODP / Wireless Routers etc...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,444 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Marlow wrote: »
    IPv4 are getting scarce. Very. If we roll any more rural FTTH out, they'll be gone in no time :p

But in all honesty, you've got to get inventive to get a block these days ... or pay through the nose to rent/buy.

/M

Not only scarce, the remaining addresses have already been taken/booked
    There's probably enough addresses available in Ireland for a long time to come but ISP's are going to have to start moving full hog to IPv6 (no point maintaining 2 different protocols) then IPv4 can be just completely abandoned.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

fritzelly wrote: »
    Not only scarce, the remaining addresses have already been taken/booked
    There's probably enough addresses available in Ireland for a long time to come but ISP's are going to have to start moving full hog to IPv6 (no point maintaining 2 different protocols) then IPv4 can be just completely abandoned.

Some larger ISPs have enough. Smalles ones, that can late to the game are massively struggling.

It doesn't matter, what country they are in. It depends what ISP (or autonomous network) they are assigned to. And it can cost up to 10 EUR per IP to buy or 1 EUR/year to rent per IP. If you have to source them elsewhere (as an ISP) that is.

/M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Yikes, I can see that adding up for a small company. I didn't think of it like that but of course the price will spike just like anything in short supply and high demand.

IPv4 was exhausted on the 14.09.2012 in the RIPE region (Europe, North Africa, Middle-East) .. that's over 6 years ago.

Ever since only new ISPs have been allocated a basic segment of 1024 IPs, when they become a member. That's it.

Anything else has to be sourced on the open market now. Or basically move to IPv6.

Airwire has been running IPv4/IPv6 dual-stack since 2008 for residential customers and was one of the first ISPs in Ireland to do so. Net1 was also very early in the game there.

/M

anyone know what the model number for the standard OE Huawei ONT? - is it a EchoLife HG8310M ? - Just interested on reading up on it and its specifications and download a manual just for curiositys sake nothing else

I don't think that's it, my one looks slightly different. I can't tell the model without taking it off the wall, which I'm not happy to do. Even then I don't know if I can find out the firmware version. For research purpose they all work on the same principal, so looking up the manual on that one is as good as looking up the one officially used by OE.

• Advertisement

OpenEIR have been using 2 models of ONT so far. The older one is quite a bit bigger. They also have 2 different models of OLTs in the exchanges.

/M

Yeah I saw that in the older pics. I have the newer smaller ONT but don't have to newer cradle unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

here is my setup at present I have my existing wireless router by our front door in the hall - when i get FTTH installed the ODP will be in the downstairs bedroom , if I ordered this 10mtr pre-made patch lead from amazon uk

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Optical-Simplex-Single-Mode-Patch/dp/B07CWNGFDW/ref=sr_1_19?ie=UTF8&qid=1541976256&sr=8-19&keywords=SC%2FAPC+to+SC%2FAPC+Fiber+Optic+Patch+Cable

first of all - is that the right lead with the right connectors? SP/APC to SP/APC ?

secondly am I better to connect this way with fibre rather than putting the ONT in the bedroom next to the ODP and running Cat 5 pre-made 10m cable ? - is better to run fibre instead of cat 5?

thirdly - what about the distance? would it travel OK 10meters from ODP to ONT without any loss?

fourthly - would it be best to just have the 10 metre F/O patch lead all in situ so that the installer can plug it into the ODP in the bedroom and the ONT at the front door - or let the installer install the ONT next to ODP (or in its cradle) and move the ONT at a later date (someone was mentioning that when you unplug the patch lead you should clean the end with alcohol wipe and its got to be ultra clean)

Thanks.

465934.jpg

Run Cat5e or Cat6 it's much more robust than fibre. You have 100 meters to work with using that.
    The installer will only use equipment that OE have authorised.

The ONT will now be sitting in the ODP cradle.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=108568699&postcount=5071

tuxy wrote: »
    Run Cat5e or Cat6 it's much more robust than fibre. You have 100 meters to work with using that.
    The installer will only use equipment that OE have authorised.
    The ONT will now be sitting in the ODP cradle.

thanks - and there will be no or little discernable signal loss with the copper cat 5 e or 6 cable? - I thought to keep it fibre might be better

• Advertisement

None, cat5e is rated for 1 gbit up up to 100 metres.

None, cat5e is rated for 1 gbit up up to 100 metres.

thanks, its cheaper as well - so might go with that then

I dont know if i have asked this before , or did but cant remember the answer so sorry if i am repeating myself , but there is no problem when i come to get FTTH installed of swapping out the ISP supplied router with my existing Huawei HG659 router is there if I find that there is hardly any difference between the ISP supplied router and the HG659 - the only thing I suppose I would loose is any technical support from the ISP because they will say i am not using the supplied router. - is that the only thing I have to be aware of or is there anything else I should be aware of using my existing router? - I suppose I will have to set the Vlan tag .. what is that 10 is it? - and just set the settings to DHCP wan/Wlan mode wont I - it wouldnt be static address the ISP gives you on FTTH is it?

Underneath the Vlan setting there is the ID which I have to set to 10 then but underneath that is 802.1p: and its defaultly set at 0 (zero) ... do I leave zero or set to something else when using it on FTTH connection? - its something to do with QOS isnt it?

It's not needed, I've mine set to none which is the same as 0 on your router.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

So is this the place to talk about the Netgear Orbi and those types of systems?

Going to be fully setting it up today and from what I gather all I do is...

(1) Turn the 2 wireless signals off on the F2000

(2) Put the Orbi into Access Point Mode

Is that it?

Sure, I don't see why this thread can't serve as a place for people asking for advise on how to improve their home network.
    I'd leave the WIFI turned on in the F2000 until the orbi's are setup.
    Will both orbi access points be connected to the router over ethernet or just one of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭plodder

There has been reports that latest installs now feature a Gpon ONT that fits into a cradle now attached to the ODP point - so that makes things a bit neater now.
    Haven't been following this discussion, but I made a similar point ages ago. It's good to see that improvement at least. It's still as messy as **** and I'd see it as likely that it will eventually combine all into a single box. Though PoE looks an obvious incremental improvement in the short-term.

I'm old enough to remember when Eir/Eircom/TE/P&T didn't allow anything to be connected to the POTS that wasn't approved, and the arduous qualification process they had for dial-up modems. They got over that problem and I think OE/retail ISPs will eventually too with fibre. I'd say the equipment will be supplied by the retailer, but certified by OE, and the ONT function of the equipment will still be controlled by OE.

plodder wrote: »
    They got over that problem and I think OE/retail ISPs will eventually too with fibre. I'd say the equipment will be supplied by the retailer, but certified by OE, and the ONT function of the equipment will still be controlled by OE.

Perhaps they will in years to come, things may become more standardised. I don't know how they can ensure control of a passive device like an ONT though.

Sure, I don't see why this thread can't serve as a place for people asking for advise on how to improve their home network.
    I'd leave the WIFI turned on in the F2000 until the orbi's are setup.
    Will both orbi access points be connected to the router over ethernet or just one of them?

Main unit is plugged into the F2000 and the 2 satellite units are wireless to the main unit.

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    Main unit is plugged into the F2000 and the 2 satellite units are wireless to the main unit.

I never used the orbi so I can't give you any exact advice. The online guides make it look fairly straight forward. Setup access point mode on the one that's wired to a lan port then use satellite mode on the other two. When it's working go into the f2000 settings and turn off both 2.4 and 5g WIFI.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭plodder

Perhaps they will in years to come, things may become more standardised. I don't know how they can ensure control of a passive device like an ONT though.
    I'm not familiar with the details of the GPON protocols, but whatever extent the ONT needs to be controlled today as a discrete box, I don't see why it can't be controlled to the same extent as a component of an integrated modem/router box. I presumed some form of provisioning is done on the ONT to allow it to send/receive on the fibre and OE would always want to control that as much as they can given the shared nature of the medium.

I know FTTH system requires Vlan tag to be added on router and for devices to pass through the Vlan ID in the clear or to be configured with a Vlan tag but what about on a router and devices for VDSL - does that have to have Vlan tagging and configured too or is it just for FTTH?

I am up on (well up enough to get by) on ADSL but I really need to brush up on FTTH and VDSL - I tried googling does VDSL require Vlan Tagging but could not get a plain answer it just got too technical.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Only for Eir/Vodafone TV.

So is this the place to talk about the Netgear Orbi and those types of systems? ...

yes , I dont see why not - there is the rural FTTH boards thread that sort of covered the infrastructure and DP boxes and rollouts and iSP's that supply the packages and stories of failed installs etc ... and i would say its good for that - but lately it seems to have descended into talks about routers , so maybe its good to have this seperate thread to discuss the equipment used in FTTH and leave the other specifically to the rollout of rural FTTH and the infrastructure .

Just my thoughts - but by all means if you want to discuss the routers and that on the Rural FTTH thread you are welcome to. I suppose there are more experts on there as to what are the best devices specifically for FTTH - I just started up this thread because people on that thread were getting fed up with discussions about routers / ONT and other hardware on there.

ED E wrote: »
    Only for Eir/Vodafone TV.

thanks - is that for Eir with a TV package or is that for Eir VDSL in general ?

thanks - is that for Eir with a TV package or is that for Eir VDSL in general ?

"Only"

Got the Orbi's set up fully.

Seems good so far.

I have full signal in places that were about 10 feet short of any signal before. Time will tell how stable it will be.

Have the wireless turned off on the F2000 and the orbi in access point mode.

Setup could of been better explained from the instructions. Got better info online and I made 2 changes that weren't mentioned in the instructions.

I changed the Orbi to access point mode and I changed the 2.4ghz channel from auto to 1 as was having a couple of issues on a few 2.4 only devices.

Got the Orbi's set up fully.

Seems good so far.

I have full signal in places that were about 10 feet short of any signal before. Time will tell how stable it will be.

Have the wireless turned off on the F2000 and the orbi in access point mode.

Setup could of been better explained from the instructions. Got better info online and I made 2 changes that weren't mentioned in the instructions.

I changed the Orbi to access point mode and I changed the 2.4ghz channel from auto to 1 as was having a couple of issues on a few 2.4 only devices.

Are you an FTTH sub?

I would have assumed Netgear would have included all the features needed for using them as Router + AP and dropping the F2000.
    (Assuming you don't need the VOIP service)

ED E wrote: »
    Are you an FTTH sub?

I would have assumed Netgear would have included all the features needed for using them as Router + AP and dropping the F2000.
    (Assuming you don't need the VOIP service)

I would like to get rid of the F2000 and just have one device. I don't have VOIP. Tried it without the F2000 and couldn't get it to work, although I was in an inpatient mood so might try it over the weekend.

I'll do some digging

• Advertisement

you have the 2 lights on the ONT 'PON' and 'LOS' - I presume if there is no light (or is it red light) on the LOS then it could mean that there is a break in the fibre optic part or the ONT cannot see the fibre light signal have I that right?

what happens if the LOS is lit green (or is it not lit?) but the PON light continues to flash or is not lit at all .

I have found instructions for a BT openreach ONT but OE use a different ONT.

Advertisement