Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FTTH installation equipment ONT / ODP / Wireless Routers etc...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    I would like to get rid of the F2000 and just have one device. I don't have VOIP. Tried it without the F2000 and couldn't get it to work, although I was in an inpatient mood so might try it over the weekend.

I'll do some digging

You need to tag vlan 10 on the Wan interface

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

1. Make sure its updated (2.1 updates apparently fixed VLAN bugs)
    2. Configure VLAN 10 for the "internet" interface per image
    3. Configure IPoE mode (default settings) on Internet setup
    4. Reboot if needed

configuracion-inicial-de-Orbi-VALN.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

ED E wrote: »
    1. Make sure its updated (2.1 updates apparently fixed VLAN bugs)
    2. Configure VLAN 10 for the "internet" interface per image
    3. Configure IPoE mode (default settings) on Internet setup
    4. Reboot if needed

configuracion-inicial-de-Orbi-VALN.jpg

And that is all done after removing the eir f2000 and just plugging the orbi into the wall?

Thanks for that image

Yep, thats it.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Only for Eir/Vodafone TV.

VLAN 10 is required for all open eir VDSL services, same as FTTH.

• Advertisement

Yep, thats it.

Thanks ED E, got that all set up there now.

Didn't see any settings though for IPoE so left as is. Seems to be working ok

oscarBravo wrote: »
    VLAN 10 is required for all open eir VDSL services, same as FTTH.

Right you are, have to admit being less than thorough in this thread :pac:
    Rossi IRL wrote: »
    Thanks ED E, got that all set up there now.

Didn't see any settings though for IPoE so left as is. Seems to be working ok

IPoE can be just called "Auto" or "Standard" or whatever as its not very complex setup wise. If you're online and didnt input a username and password then its operating over IPoE.

If you got the chance to test it with a few devices and see how it performs like that it'd be cool. I wanna include a brief summary of Eero/Orbi in the explainer thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

wrong thread . :)

Have the Orbi's up and running now a few weeks. Have added a 3rd satellite unit aswell.

Setup was a bit of a pain overall but once up and running it works really well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Yeah I'd say 3 are needed in many cases. One near the router, one in a half way point and one where you normally get a weak signal.

• Advertisement

tuxy wrote: »
    Yeah I'd say 3 are needed in many cases. One near the router, one in a half way point and one where you normally get a weak signal.

Ah no like they do cover some distance. I have one where I use to get no signal with nothing in between it.

2 was doing the job but there was still one room with no signal and the satellite was £80 off on black Friday.

I have an odd shaped house which it the reason I needed the 3rd.

I see but you probably much better 5 Ghz coverage all over now?

I see but you probably much better 5 Ghz coverage all over now?

Sure do, in every corner of the house and even a little outside which will be handy during the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,239 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Run Cat5e or Cat6 it's much more robust than fibre. You have 100 meters to work with using that.
    The installer will only use equipment that OE have authorised.

The ONT will now be sitting in the ODP cradle.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=108568699&postcount=5071
    thanks, its cheaper as well - so might go with that then

Fiber is more robust than most people think - benefit of using fiber in your setup is that you don't need an active device in the bedroom that needs to be powered

someone indicated on the rural fibre thread on boards that their installer said that they were going back to separate ONT and ODP once all the cradle ones are all used up

I suppose a person could not link up one of these all-in-one router with Built in ONT thats for sale on ebay UK ? - it has g-pon socket at the bottom an 802.11ac wireless so capable of handling up to 1gbps .

But i believe that, if I have it right that the serial number of the ONT's link up to the OLT at the exchange and that if you try to put on an OLT not supplied by eir (or one of the other approved internet providers/installers) it gets disconnected from the OLT as a 'rogue ONT' ? - have I that right?

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/HUAWEI-Fibre-Optic-HS8145V-1POTS-Dual-Band-WI-FI-GPON-ONT/273849270180?hash=item3fc2b03fa4:g:ERcAAOSwRkJc9mPX

only thing is that it looks like it uses a blue plug SC/UPC fibre termination where by the Irish system uses a Green SC/APC plug (I dont know what the difference is)

482521.jpg

Andy from Sligo you should get a name change to Amnesia Andy. You've had this explained to you multiple times in this very bloody thread.

Andy from Sligo you should get a name change to Amnesia Andy. You've had this explained to you multiple times in this very bloody thread.

ya i know i am a pain not searching for the answer again but it was a long time ago - whatever happened to people just being nicer to other people these days and just have a look at the link i posted to this huawei combined ONT and wireless router and just say if they reckon it would work on the irish system or not and a brief wht not (even if it is again, or they have explained it before) its no real hardship is it?

I am not looking for an exhaustive answer just a

"no andy that wont work on the Irish system" or " yes andy. officially not, but in principle it could"

and if no a brief "it wont work because" -

there - not even a minute of someones life to reply

I cannot see what the problem is to be nice to another boards member?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,433 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

ya i know i am a pain not searching for the answer again but it was a long time ago

I'm not you and even I remember you asking the same question...multiple times

fritzelly wrote: »
    I'm not you and even I remember you asking the same question...multiple times

OK

• Advertisement

I dont remember asking about this model that is now on ebay now.

I think i remeber asking before but it was a random unknown chinese make and had only 802.11n which wouldnt have been good for people on a 1TB connection

It wasnt a long time ago, it was 7 months ago. And 8 months ago (as Navi points out in P2 of THIS thread). And probably 10 months ago too.

People don't mind being helpful, feck I've 30k bloody posts on Boards most of them giving advice not asking, but asking the same thing like a toddler is fierce bloody infuriating.

So:

IF

THE

OPENEIR

TECH

INSTALLS

IT

THEN

IT

WILL

WORK.

IF

YOU

BUY/STEAL/FIND/MANUFACTURE

IT

THEN

IT

WILL

NOT.

So you have gone back to the position where you want to **** with the network and take up to 31 of your neighbours offline?

What happened to the idea of running cat5e/6 cable to where you wanted the router in you house? It took us 2 months to convince you that this easy and reliable solution was the only sensible option.

Are you having trouble getting the cable to run from the bedroom to the hall?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

Funnily enough when Andy mentioned he was closer to getting an install, I was going to post in the main FTTH thread,

"Please Andy leave the ONT alone!!

For our benefit...."

So you have gone back to the position where you want to **** with the network and take up to 31 of your neighbours offline?

you most probably know more than I do in this field and are more qualified... - but that not an OTT reaction no?

you most probably know more than I do in this field and are more qualified... - but that not an OTT reaction no?

Hardly, people spent two months explaining all this last time and you come on here again acting like it never happened...... two months!
    At this stage I won't mind you messing with the ONT and getting black listed but I'd rather people near by didn't suffer too.

listen up guys I have been saying this on numerous occasions in these threads but people must have forgot (or not searched - how ironic ) but i will reiterate ...

I will say it yet again though, I am not going to actually going to buy any of these combo boxes or have any plan to fit one to the Irish FTTH network/infrastructure I am just trying trying to see if one of these boxes will actually physically work ? and specifically this latest one -i'm only curious

If the answers the same as all the times I have asked before then OK ... and thank you very much ... and sorry to have wasted your precious time everyone

listen up guys I have been saying this on numerous occasions in these threads but people must have forgot (or not searched - how ironic ) but i will reiterate ...

I will say it yet again though, I am not going to actually going to buy any of these combo boxes or have any plan to fit one to the Irish FTTH network/infrastructure I am just trying trying to see if one of these boxes will actually physically work ? and specifically this latest one -i'm only curious

If the answers the same as all the times I have asked before then OK ... and thank you very much ... and sorry to have wasted your precious time everyone

But we already explained that it takes Open Eir months of testing before they know if a device is safe to roll-out on their network. So unless Open Eir decides to test whatever device you're looking at the answer is no one knows but it's not worth the consequences of finding out it doesn't.

Hardly, people spent two months explaining all this last time and you come on here again acting like it never happened...... two months!
    At this stage I won't mind you messing with the ONT and getting black listed but I'd rather people near by didn't suffer too.

blimey 2 months really. I hadn't realised that - was that solidly? - or do you want me to do a search and read all my past posts?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,433 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

or do you want me to do a search and read all my past posts?

I dare you

Advertisement