Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VPN problems with Eir

Options
  • 09-11-2018 3:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭

Ever since the day-long outage of Eir about six weeks ago the speed of my connection when using VPN has dropped significantly. While my regular download speed averages 140 mbps, the average speed when using VPN has dropped to 40 mbps.

I find it hard to believe that it is a coincidence that this problem arose immediately after being re-connected to Eir following it's extended outage.

Anyone else experiencing this problem?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭BArra

can your VPN connect to different countries to test speeds or is it a singular VPN into your work or whatever that you have?

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭dhoun

Yes, it can. I have tried every combination of possible solutions, including numerous suggestions from my VPN provider, without success. Really frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Assuming the nodes are outside Ireland that isn't really a rate to be complaining about. Submarine fibre isn't cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭dhoun

Yes it is something to complain about. I was regularly getting up to 145 mbps. on VPN before the Eir outage.

Nowadays, VPN services do not normally compromise regular speeds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

dhoun wrote: »
    Yes it is something to complain about. I was regularly getting up to 145 mbps. on VPN before the Eir outage.

Nowadays, VPN services do not normally compromise regular speeds.

The outage was because of Eir's DNS going down. It's unrelated.

You should try to track down at what point between the Eir Network and the VPN that the problem occurs.

• Advertisement
Advertisement