Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bed wetting

Options
  • 09-11-2018 4:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi all.
    My 5 year old asked to come out of pull ups in July. I thought it meant she felt ready to try, but thinking back we'd just come home from a holiday with her cousin who is out of them, and maybe that's why she wanted out of them.

Anyway, 4 months down the line and she is still wetting the bed twice sometimes three times a night. Now last week she got in really well but this week it's been unbearable. Perhaps because school started again. But she is wetting her bed then is coming into my bed because hers is wet, then wets my bed. I've used pup pads, waterproof sheets, towels, I send her to toilet before bed and lift her about 9.30.

My question basically is, with our Irish weather, I cannot be cleaning towels and sheets every day.

Would it be a very wrong move if I was to put her back into pull ups? As well as the wet beds and sheets, we are both also lacking a lot of sleep due to changing sheets, changing PJ's etc..

Losing my mind just a tiny bit

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Immy

Without a doubt back into pull ups.

My oldest wore pull ups at night for a long time. He 8 now and he’ll still wet the bed about once a week.

The younger 2 never wet the bed.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Ah the poor pet. And poor you too.

Have you checked it out with the GP? I vaguely recall that there can be a medical reason for it sometimes. I'd rule out anything medical first and then if there's nothing like that and she's still wetting, put her back into the pullups.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Is she drinking near bedtime. If so stop it

Make sure she goes before she goes to bed and wake her up before you go to bed to go again.

Use the pull-ups until she has a week of dry nights.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 helloplease

Is she drinking near bedtime. If so stop it

Make sure she goes before she goes to bed and wake her up before you go to bed to go again.

Use the pull-ups until she has a week of dry nights.

No she doesn't drink near night time at all, I usually stop it about half five.

She goes before bed, then I lift her at half 9, then sometimes about 11, but she could still wet in between and after..

I've bought pull ups and they are different to her last ones and we had a talk about how she still has to do her routine of going to bathroom before bed etc. Fingers crossed it helps a bit!

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Anne_cordelia

No she doesn't drink near night time at all, I usually stop it about half five.

She goes before bed, then I lift her at half 9, then sometimes about 11, but she could still wet in between and after..

I've bought pull ups and they are different to her last ones and we had a talk about how she still has to do her routine of going to bathroom before bed etc. Fingers crossed it helps a bit!

Wow that’s a lot of wetting. I’d absolutely see the gp. I would think she should be able to hold it for a few hours at this stage. How often does she pee during the day? Mine would pee every 3-5 hours but could hold it for even longer if needed. Also does she drink cordial? I vaguely recall something about it being a diuretic and causing them too pee more often.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,193 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Huggies Night time pull ups, we use them at night after giving months of waking our 4yr old at night and trying to train him to no avail, he's independent with the number 1&2's during the day rarely needs help he's out of nappies a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

Up until the age of six is completely normal for kids not to be night trained. She is probably also worried about it. a small drink at night shouldn't really be an issue. My five year old would often have water right before bed (and milk at about 6pm) and would wake up dry. If she isn't ready she isn't ready. Maybe back into pull ups for a little longer and don't mention it until she does again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Dalomanakora

So she's doing a wee before bed, at 9, at 11, in the bed, then in your bed? So 5 minimum a night?

For that reason alone, I'd bring her to the GP to rule out anything physical. If she's not drinking before bed, that's a LOT of times to urinate, so I'd make sure she's physically healthy before pushing the pull ups

Advertisement