Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment Stage 4 (2018 Campaign)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Hearns2017

Hey guys I found out in November that I passed the interview. Sent the gp clearance back and am invited to the open day this Saturday. Have not got my fitness test date yet however or been contacted by the local srgt or superintendent.
    anyways I'm assuming it won't be long before this happens now but I am getting worried as I have a holiday booked for the beginning of June and I am terrified it is going to affect things. But then we were told not to be putting our life on hold for this campaign so I'm hoping someone may be able to put my mind at ease here. Anyone any information about what would happen if it came down to being offered a place during them dates or whatever?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭bottar1

Hearns2017 wrote: »
    Hey guys I found out in November that I passed the interview. Sent the gp clearance back and am invited to the open day this Saturday. Have not got my fitness test date yet however or been contacted by the local srgt or superintendent.
    anyways I'm assuming it won't be long before this happens now but I am getting worried as I have a holiday booked for the beginning of June and I am terrified it is going to affect things. But then we were told not to be putting our life on hold for this campaign so I'm hoping someone may be able to put my mind at ease here. Anyone any information about what would happen if it came down to being offered a place during them dates or whatever?

If your OOM is on the higher end I wouldn't expect a place in Templemore as early as June mate, and you'll probably get the fitness done before that.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Hearns2017

Can anyone who has been to the open day already tell me how long to expect to be there for?

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭leheaven

Hearns2017 wrote: »
    Can anyone who has been to the open day already tell me how long to expect to be there for?

Last time some people said around 2 hours. I’m only going tomorrow so not sure myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 andrewkiely

Ive gotten my GP letter but no open day invite yet! Hope I get to attend one before the PCT

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Smallboy

For the lads that have been to an open day; how much do they actually allow you to 'test out'

Do you get a go of the Push-Pull? A quick run on the obstacle course?
    Maybe a bleep test?

Thanks amigos.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Irishman87545

Smallboy wrote: »
    For the lads that have been to an open day; how much do they actually allow you to 'test out'

Do you get a go of the Push-Pull? A quick run on the obstacle course?
    Maybe a bleep test?

Thanks amigos.

You can have a look at the push and pull ha ,they will let you get a few levels on the beer test but nothing to crazy

You can have a look at the push and pull ha ,they will let you get a few levels on the beer test but nothing to crazy

Woah man, a beer test!? I can't wait! I've been preparing for that one for like 10 years!

I'm only messing around, thanks man.

Woah man, a beer test!? I can't wait! I've been preparing for that one for like 10 years!

I'm only messing around, thanks man.

Haha haven't we all , yeah I'd recommend going if your complete lost at to what is expected ! Even YouTube some of the stages aswel they give just as good of a indication

Haha haven't we all , yeah I'd recommend going if your complete lost at to what is expected ! Even YouTube some of the stages aswel they give just as good of a indication

I definitely will, travelling from Dublin so not too bad.
    My only issue is the bleep test, I go to the gym 4-5 days a week and have done for over a year, fitness isn't my issue. Cardio is.

I'll have no troubles with the pushups, sit ups, obstacle course the likes.
    While practicing for the bleep test I keep hitting around 8.2, 8.3 before having no choice but to stop.

I'm hoping the adrenaline on the day of the actual test helps out haha

• Advertisement

Hhaa ah I'm the same typical gym rat never a bit of cardio done but you'll find it alot easier indoors ,you can almost slide in the wooden floors on the halls

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Richmond Ultra

I definitely will, travelling from Dublin so not too bad.
    My only issue is the bleep test, I go to the gym 4-5 days a week and have done for over a year, fitness isn't my issue. Cardio is.

I'll have no troubles with the pushups, sit ups, obstacle course the likes.
    While practicing for the bleep test I keep hitting around 8.2, 8.3 before having no choice but to stop.

I'm hoping the adrenaline on the day of the actual test helps out haha

Try hill sprints. That is the only way you'll get better or else practice at high levels. Start at level 3/4 and go to max. Do that and you'll be fine.

Try hill sprints. That is the only way you'll get better or else practice at high levels. Start at level 3/4 and go to max. Do that and you'll be fine.

Never thought of that! Starting from a higher interval and instead of aiming for 9.1, aim for around the mark of 10.0

When you submit the GP form to say you're good for the medical, does anyone receive an acknowledgement response to say they received or do I kinda just have to hope they got it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Blads

When you submit the GP form to say you're good for the medical, does anyone receive an acknowledgement response to say they received or do I kinda just have to hope they got it?

No one replied to me. I have a date for my pct on the 8th of feb so they must’ve received it anyhow!

Blads wrote: »
    No one replied to me. I have a date for my pct on the 8th of feb so they must’ve received it anyhow!

Ayy goodluck friend! When did you submit your GP form to them? And how is the training going for it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Blads

Ayy goodluck friend! When did you submit your GP form to them? And how is the training going for it?

I submitted on the 11th of January. Training is gonng well. Been doing specific training for this since last May. Circuits, bootcamp, personal training etc. I’m starting to feel mini triceps 😂 I’m also a 27 year old female so I’ll have it the easiest. 6.6 beep test, 18 modified push ups and 27 sit ups in a min.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭fmp3d26og54yi9

Blads wrote: »
    I submitted on the 11th of January. Training is gonng well. Been doing specific training for this since last May. Circuits, bootcamp, personal training etc. I’m starting to feel mini triceps �� I’m also a 27 year old female so I’ll have it the easiest. 6.6 beep test, 18 modified push ups and 27 sit ups in a min.

I'm getting so frustrated...I sent my GP approval form in 8th Jan and I have no date yet! WTF :mad: They are not going by OOM so i thought they might be going by whoever came back first....but nothing!

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Mrletsdothis

I’m happy not to be called for fitness yet ..:. I can hit the push up and sit up targets easy but the beep test I’m still only reaching level 5... wasn’t nearly doing enough cardio. Anyone who makes the target rekon it’s possible to get from level 5 - 8.1 within 4 weeks?

I’m happy not to be called for fitness yet ..:. I can hit the push up and sit up targets easy but the beep test I’m still only reaching level 5... wasn’t nearly doing enough cardio. Anyone who makes the target rekon it’s possible to get from level 5 - 8.1 within 4 weeks?

Yes just keep running! I went from level 5 to level 7 fast enough but make sure you all try beat your previous level...and very important do your stretches. Try and do up hill runs to increase your strength and endurance. You'll make it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Carles Puyol

@Harveli18 I can't reply to your PM as it says you've either opted not to receive PMs or can't. Maybe you have to post at least once to receive a PM or something?

@Harveli18 I can't reply to your PM as it says you've either opted not to receive PMs or can't. Maybe you have to post at least once to receive a PM or something?

I am the same dude..you need to change your settings in order for me to reply

Still cant PM you...you must have to havr made some posts in order to receive PMs maybe

What would happen if the date you're given for the fitness exam is around the same time for a holiday booked? I have a holiday booked for the middle of March and have sent off for my fitness exam with the GP letter but am concerned it'll be around then.
    A job with AGS is more important to me than 1 holiday tbf

What would happen if the date you're given for the fitness exam is around the same time for a holiday booked? I have a holiday booked for the middle of March and have sent off for my fitness exam with the GP letter but am concerned it'll be around then.
    A job with AGS is more important to me than 1 holiday tbf

I believe the only way you can defer it is with a dr letter....HRM have confirmed they are trying to give everyone 2 weeks notice for the PCT dates. So you should know soon enough. I am hoping myself something might be sent out Friday week as I am guesstimating that the next date will be the 22nd Feb as 1st, 8th & 15th have already gone out.

I believe the only way you can defer it is with a dr letter....HRM have confirmed they are trying to give everyone 2 weeks notice for the PCT dates. So you should know soon enough. I am hoping myself something might be sent out Friday week as I am guesstimating that the next date will be the 22nd Feb as 1st, 8th & 15th have already gone out.

Thank you! Hopefully I get a date either before middle of March or after!

Thank you! Hopefully I get a date either before middle of March or after!
    It might be no harm just to ring the number on the letter and see what they say. They might say hard luck, you get what you get, or they might be reasonable and try to schedule your physical around your holiday. I don't see why they couldn't do the latter but you won't know if you don't ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭wizardofdodge

Hey all,
    Anyone know how many dates roughly do they book PCTs in for?
    I notice Traligirl mentioned a couple of dates throughout February. Are they also likely to have PCTs taking place in March and early April?

Thanks

It might be no harm just to ring the number on the letter and see what they say. They might say hard luck, you get what you get, or they might be reasonable and try to schedule your physical around your holiday. I don't see why they couldn't do the latter but you won't know if you don't ask.

I agree it would be no harm but I'd be the type that would be nervous that they think I'm impatient or something along the lines of that!

• Advertisement

I agree it would be no harm but I'd be the type that would be nervous that they think I'm impatient or something along the lines of that!
    Possibly, if you're not comfortable ringing up obviously don't. I'd just explain that you've your holidays booked from x date to y date, and that if you get your PCT in those dates you'd be more than happy to do it, but if you could get a date outside of that you'd be very grateful. I can't see that being an issue but again, if you're not comfortable doing it, you're best off just leaving it and hoping for the best.

Advertisement