Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment Stage 4 (2018 Campaign)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭fmp3d26og54yi9

Sooner you do it the better, try to send it early next week and not too close to the closing date :)

You learn from your mistakes! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭james flanagan

OOM in 500s still no word of gp letter or called to local station

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭5i6blrtngojxwf

You learn from your mistakes! :p

Whoever you are, I’m certain I don’t know what you’re talking about ;) haha

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭kellbag91

OOM in 500s still no word of gp letter or called to local station

I was late 400s got my Dr's letter last week and got my reference contacted two days after I sent it back. I'd imagine you will be some point in the next two weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭gem112

Written answersWednesday, 30 January 2019

Department of Justice and EqualityGarda Strength

Bernard Durkan (Kildare North, Fine Gael)
    Link to this: Individually | In context

142. To ask the Tánaiste and Minister for Justice and Equality the number of members of An Garda Síochána including reservemembers available for duty at all times nationally; the extent to which membership of the force continues to be deployed in order to bring the strength of the force up to optimum levels in all areas; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [4661/19]

Charles Flanagan (Laois, Fine Gael)
    Link to this: Individually | In context

As the Deputy will appreciate, the GardaCommissioner is responsible for the distribution of personnel and I, as Minister, have no direct role in the matter. Garda management keeps this distribution under review in the context of crime trends and policing priorities to ensure optimum use is made of the resources.

I am informed by the Commissioner that as of the 31 December 2018 the overall strength of An GardaSíochána was 14,032 with 530 Reserves and 2,430 Civilians.

I can assure the Deputy that this Government is committed to ensuring a strong and visible police presence throughout the country in order to maintain and strengthen community engagement, provide reassurance to citizens and to deter crime.

Since the reopening of the Garda College in September 2014, almost 2,400 recruits have attested as members of An Garda Síochána and have been assigned to mainstream duties nationwide. Garda numbers reached the target of 14,000 by the end of 2018 are on track to reach 15,000 by 2021.

The Commissioner has this year been provided with an additional €100 million bringing his budget to almost €1.8 billion which includes provision for the recruitment of up to 800 Gardaí next year.

The Commissioner has informed me that he intends to recruit a total of 600 trainee Gardaí in 2019 while in tandem it is his intention to recruit a net 600 Garda Staff (civilians). This increase of Garda staff will enable the Commissioner to redeploy 500 Gardaí from administrative duties to frontline policing in 2019.

The Commission on the Future of Policing in Ireland, in its report published in September 2018 and which was adopted by the Government in December 2018 recommended that recruitment to the Garda Reserve be paused, pending completion of a strategic review of the Reserve, with a view to ensuring that the best possible use is made of this valuable resource.

It is disappointing that the number of Garda ReserveMembers has dropped in recent years. The strength of the Reserve as of 31 December 2018 was 530. However, both the Government and the GardaCommissioner remain committed to increasing the strength of the Garda Reserve and to that end I have been informed by the Commissioner that a training class of approximately 100 Garda Reserves, who successfully applied under previous recruitment drives will commence training in the first quarter of 2019.

For more general information on Garda Facts and Figures please see the following link:

Comments

No comments

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 dubj

Hi,

Does anyone know what number are they up as far with regards to being called for physical?? I’m 298 so just wondering!

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭OscarKilo

dubj wrote: »
    Hi,

Does anyone know what number are they up as far with regards to being called for physical?? I’m 298 so just wondering!

Thanks

I’m 288 and no date thus far!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Paddyjken

I dont think there going on OOM. My OOM is 59 and haven't heard anything yet. Sent my GP letter back on 7th or 8th of January... Waiting is a nightmare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭bottar1

dubj wrote: »
    Hi,

Thanks

Your OOM does not affect physical. People 400+ have dates in Feb. OOM will come into play for being offered places.

bottar1 wrote: »
    Your OOM does not affect physical. People 400+ have dates in Feb. OOM will come into play for being offered places.

That's correct. HRM confirmed this also to me [snipped] and sent my GP form back the 8th and still nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33 andrewkiely

Anyone know when the next open day is? I've sent back my GP form but havent yet been to an open day

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Mrletsdothis

Just wondering anyone know how much notice they usually give for the fitness test when they email you about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Hendo98

Just wondering anyone know how much notice they usually give for the fitness test when they email you about it?

They gave me 2 weeks but a girl I met at mine was only given a weeks notice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭bottar1

There isn't really a standard amount of notice. Seems about minimum a week. I got about 3 weeks notice.

Average is about 2 weeks from the looks of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 jwals2130

Anyone any tips for meeting sergeant? I know its fairly formal but anyone any info what might be asked ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭5i6blrtngojxwf

jwals2130 wrote: »
    Anyone any tips for meeting sergeant? I know its fairly formal but anyone any info what might be asked ?

Not all that formal really.. go in for a chat, go over a few bits in your application and form B but nothing too bad! Show you have the ‘Good Character’ box ticked and just show you’re prepared for the job!

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Uweir32

Mmk123 wrote: »
    Uweir32 wrote: »
    I still haven’t got mine signed. I don’t know if it’s a northern thing but couldn’t get anyone in Belfast to do it I’ve an appointment tomorrow in County Down with w private GP my heads fried over this if I don’t get it tomorrow I don’t know what else to do

Did you get it sorted? I am now experiencing the exact same with my form in the north! Don't know what to do to get it signed. Nightmare.

Hi sorry just seeing this. Yes in the end I had to travel to Bangor and pay over £100 for a private GP was a nightmare hope you got sorted

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Mmk123

Uweir32 wrote: »
    Hi sorry just seeing this. Yes in the end I had to travel to Bangor and pay over £100 for a private GP was a nightmare hope you got sorted

Thanks got it sorted! I booked an appointment with a gp the south. Had to pay €50 too but I didn't mind was glad to just have it sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Hearns2017

Got called for my PCT on 22nd Feb. Any tips from anyone who has done it? Did anyone fail it? So nervous!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 TR 2525

Hearns2017 wrote: »
    Got called for my PCT on 22nd Feb. Any tips from anyone who has done it? Did anyone fail it? So nervous!!

How long has it since you passed the interview. Just wondering how long you’ve been waiting

• Advertisement

TR 2525 wrote: »
    How long has it since you passed the interview. Just wondering how long you’ve been waiting

It was October I think when I passed my interview? But I know there's people from September that still haven't got dates yet so it's impossible to know.

Does anyone know are they doing an intake in April? If so what would the chances be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 SHIELDSRED

Got called for PCT for 22nd.. bricking it.. Hope they count in 3s for the push ups.... anyone else going?

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭wizardofdodge

SHIELDSRED wrote: »
    Got called for PCT for 22nd.. bricking it.. Hope they count in 3s for the push ups.... anyone else going?

Were you asked to provide GP letter?

Anyone know also if you still have to provide GP letter if you have only just passed your medical already - surely that would be enough

Il see you there! Dreading that beep test!

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Henry2006

My daughter failed twice in September 2016 both times on the beep test so be well prepared for it. She applied again for this campaign so hopefully will pass it this time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 SHIELDSRED

Were you asked to provide GP letter?

Anyone know also if you still have to provide GP letter if you have only just passed your medical already - surely that would be enough

Yeah, I have to bring my GP letter.

This intake the PCT is before the medical

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭wizardofdodge

Yeah, I have to bring my GP letter.

This intake the PCT is before the medical

Are you sure about that? - I know someone who has their medical next week, so if what you say is correct then PCTs are roughly finished for this april intake around next week. I dont understand hoe this eould be the case as there is still so much time before April intake starts.

Me too! 22nd Feb! AHhhhhh

Me! I'm up for the 22nd Feb too

• Advertisement

PCT is before Medical this campaign. I can only assume the reason for Harris saving money on medicals if candidates dont pass the PCT...that's a medical cost saved.

Advertisement