Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Recruitment Stage 4 (2018 Campaign)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭arainagusime

leheaven wrote: »
    One of my reference now doesn’t want to be a ref cause he’s a lot going on personally. Do you think I could change it since I haven’t been called for a local interview yet?

I would ring HRM. Best to try and change it than have your reference get called.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭RabbitHeart18

Got my call to go in to my local station. Told it would be basically an informal chat, so asked if that meant no suit and he laughed at me. :D
    Going early next week, nice to know things are still moving!

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Mrletsdothis

Got my call to go in to my local station. Told it would be basically an informal chat, so asked if that meant no suit and he laughed at me. :D
    Going early next week, nice to know things are still moving!

Haha that’s cool hope it’s goes well !!

Can I ask how long you it was since you got the interview results?

Haha that’s cool hope it’s goes well !!

Can I ask how long you it was since you got the interview results?

Interview at end of sept and results at the beginning of oct. About 6 or 7 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 rossd92

Interview at end of sept and results at the beginning of oct. About 6 or 7 weeks.

You meet your local before the fitness or medical?

rossd92 wrote: »
    You meet your local before the fitness or medical?

Still waiting on dates for both!

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Hearns2017

Hey guys just have a question regarding the medical.. in relation to BMI does anyone know if your BMI is over 25 are you just automatically cut out of the campaign??

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Stuky69

Hearns2017 wrote: »
    Hey guys just have a question regarding the medical.. in relation to BMI does anyone know if your BMI is over 25 are you just automatically cut out of the campaign??

Has to be 30 or less

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭fmp3d26og54yi9

Stuky69 wrote: »
    Has to be 30 or less

Oh great!!! Was panicking and got down to 25.5 so ill pass that part

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Letsdoit

Ive a PCT coming up soon and according to HRM this is the only item outstanding. Would anyone have any clue to which intake I would be taking in on. Passing the PCT of course.

Letsdoit wrote: »
    Ive a PCT coming up soon and according to HRM this is the only item outstanding. Would anyone have any clue to which intake I would be taking in on. Passing the PCT of course.

If your vetting is completed and your medical and you've met with both your local sgt. and super then I would expect you to be in January intake

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭droptheworld

I’m in the same boat. Everything is cleared just about to do my PCT so I’m hoping January.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Paddyjken

I’m in the same boat. Everything is cleared just about to do my PCT so I’m hoping January.

How long ago did you do your interview? Have you dates for you PCT?

Did anyone have any relations with a US address on their vetting? Just wondering will that delay my vetting by much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,668 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

If your vetting is completed and your medical and you've met with both your local sgt. and super then I would expect you to be in January intake

Not a hope any of this campaign will see Templemore for January I would say, May at the very earliest for a few with most looking at July or after.

Still a rake of 17's and even some 16's left.

• Advertisement

Strider wrote: »
    Not a hope any of this campaign will see Templemore for January I would say, May at the very earliest for a few with most looking at July or after.

Still a rake of 17's and even some 16's left.

I know someone who had their PCT and was called for the intake 2 weeks later. Would it not depend on peoples vetting and OOM etc.?

I know someone who had their PCT and was called for the intake 2 weeks later. Would it not depend on peoples vetting and OOM etc.?

To go on the list...but people on the list from 17 and 16 will get first preference on future intakes provided thry've everything in order.

Your OOM only applies to your campaign, it won't put you ahead of someone from previous ones.

Well i'd be happy to get in May or July. But the wait is a killer!

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Gadaves

Is it 4 intakes that are planned for 2019?

Gadaves wrote: »
    Is it 4 intakes that are planned for 2019?

Well there were 4 in 2018... 181's 182's 183's and Oct were 184's.

So fingers crossed it'll be the same for 2019. I have heard they are really pushing to get people in atm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 S_e_a_n

Did anyone have any relations with a US address on their vetting? Just wondering will that delay my vetting by much
    Was told it is only Aunts & Uncles, blood related that they vet, not their partners.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Hearns2017

When did you do your interview??

S_e_a_n wrote: »
    Was told it is only Aunts & Uncles, blood related that they vet, not their partners.

Who told you that? I had to provide all my husbands family, aunt, uncles and grandparents info on the Form B

Who told you that? I had to provide all my husbands family, aunt, uncles and grandparents info on the Form B

Think what they mean is it's only necessary to put down any blood relatives of you and your partner. That you don't need their spouses details.

Think what they mean is it's only necessary to put down any blood relatives of you and your partner. That you don't need their spouses details.

Oh right I get ya!

• Registered Users Posts: 25 traceyf933

Anyone know what sort of stuff they ask for the medical in the intake forms and all that? I know we have guidelines but are they strict on illnesses or having been sick in the past?

Who from this thread so is heading to Templemore Saturday?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 mezzac95

Who from this thread so is heading to Templemore Saturday?

I’m heading down on Saturday! :)

Ah there will be a few so! :) I'll be there myself. 10am is the time i was given.

traceyf933 wrote: »
    Anyone know what sort of stuff they ask for the medical in the intake forms and all that? I know we have guidelines but are they strict on illnesses or having been sick in the past?

It's prior surgery, current medications, previous heart/lung diseases etc.

Tbh I had serious lung surgery done myself about 8 years ago and it was grand. They'll look for medical notes for anything like that though. Once you're ok now and can pass the fitness you should be ok. Anything like cancer though and they may change their minds.

• Advertisement

Ah there will be a few so! :) I'll be there myself. 10am is the time i was given.

Same. Looking forward to meeting everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Harley2016

Hey guys,

Does any one know how strick they are on bmi? Mine is sitting around 30 but it's always been high but I'm fit and able do bleep test fine and the strength isn't a problem so bit worried about failing on bmi? I am working on it but just incase.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Carles Puyol

Harley2016 wrote: »
    Hey guys,

Does any one know how strick they are on bmi? Mine is sitting around 30 but it's always been high but I'm fit and able do bleep test fine and the strength isn't a problem so bit worried about failing on bmi? I am working on it but just incase.
    I think I read in the main thread that if it's over 25 it's a fail but you have 6 months to bring it down, however if it's over 30 it's a straight fail with no second chances.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Letsdoit

Under 30 is a pass. If you are over 30 you will be given 3 months to get it under the 30 mark. I am not sure if over 35 is a straight fail.

Under 30 is a pass. If you are over 30 you will be given 3 months to get it under the 30 mark. I am not sure if over 35 is a straight fail.
    Ah yes, knew there something to it alright.

Below bmi 25 is a straight pass,
    Between 25 and 30 is body fat test,
    Between 30 and 35 is a deferral,
    Over 35 is a fail.
    Hope this helps and good luck with it.

Got call from my local sergeant an hour or so ago. Meeting tomorrow. Delighted it's all progressing so quickly, only a few minutes of a chat I've been told. Still gonna hold off the night out! Hopefully the medical is only around the corner but not very optimistic about it being done this side of Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Mrletsdothis

Got call from my local sergeant an hour or so ago. Meeting tomorrow. Delighted it's all progressing so quickly, only a few minutes of a chat I've been told. Still gonna hold off the night out! Hopefully the medical is only around the corner but not very optimistic about it being done this side of Christmas.

Wow that was fast...best of luck tomorrow so! let us all know how it goes :)

Anyone else get a call?

Wow that was fast...best of luck tomorrow so! let us all know how it goes :)

Anyone else get a call?
    I think I'm about the 3rd or 4th from this forum to get the call. Been waiting a month and a half now. Based on what I've heard that seems to be the average waiting time for the first batch anyway, which is only speculation on my part.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 rossd92

I think I'm about the 3rd or 4th from this forum to get the call. Been waiting a month and a half now. Based on what I've heard that seems to be the average waiting time for the first batch anyway, which is only speculation on my part.

And have you done the fitness or medical yet?

• Advertisement

rossd92 wrote: »
    And have you done the fitness or medical yet?
    Not yet. Seeing as I should be in the first batch to get called for it I can't give any sort of approximate waiting time, although I think the last campaign had a waiting time of about 3-4 months, which would mean around mid-late December or January. I'm away skiing the week after Christmas so I just hope it's not then!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Lockiedox

Hi guys just wondering how did you hear from your local sgt? Was it by phone call or public jobs?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Joda96

Lockiedox wrote: »
    Hi guys just wondering how did you hear from your local sgt? Was it by phone call or public jobs?

Sgt. Rang me from the station but I missed the call and then sent me an email, so keep an eye on your emails too!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Lockiedox

Joda96 wrote: »
    Sgt. Rang me from the station but I missed the call and then sent me an email, so keep an eye on your emails too!
    Thanks. Missed a call during the week and got no ans when i rang back so im wondering if that was it now 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Paddyjken

Did anybody go to the open day Saturday. I couldn't make it due to work.
    Was it useful?
    Did they give any indication of dates for the PT and medical?

Paddyjken wrote: »
    Did anybody go to the open day Saturday. I couldn't make it due to work.
    Was it useful?
    Did they give any indication of dates for the PT and medical?

It was very useful. So happy I went, about 100 people showed up. I now know what I need to work on for the fitness test and it isn't what I expected. Nearly didn't go because of reading some opinions on here but sheer curiosity got the better of me. I'd say if you are in doubt, go. If you can't make it because you are driving from Malin Head and it would be a massive hassle, you won't ruin your chances either -- it isn't recorded that you are there.

The best advice given on the day is to recreate the fitness test as closely as possible and repeat it a million times. Also overshoot your targets, so 30 pressups instead of 20 etc a bit to ensure you get through.

• Advertisement

It was very useful. So happy I went, about 100 people showed up. I now know what I need to work on for the fitness test and it isn't what I expected. Nearly didn't go because of reading some opinions on here but sheer curiosity got the better of me. I'd say if you are in doubt, go. If you can't make it because you are driving from Malin Head and it would be a massive hassle, you won't ruin your chances either -- it isn't recorded that you are there.

The best advice given on the day is to recreate the fitness test as closely as possible and repeat it a million times. Also overshoot your targets, so 30 pressups instead of 20 etc a bit to ensure you get through.

Ya I agree, it was great to be there and see the set up and especially for us females to see how the push and pull machine needs so much force. I have work to do!!

They mentioned that a GP letter will be sent out to everyone to give you the go ahead to do the fitness in early January possibly! Then the medical will be after the fitness test.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 lealor17

I think this has already been mentioned before in one of the other threads. However I just want to check, do we do the fitness first and then the medical after? Was this not the other way around in previous competitions?

lealor17 wrote: »
    I think this has already been mentioned before in one of the other threads. However I just want to check, do we do the fitness first and then the medical after? Was this not the other way around in previous competitions?

It used to be the other way around you are correct but they said this time a GP approval before the fitness and then the medical in pheonix park afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Uweir32

I just got an invite for the open day on 5th Jan. just thinking surely my test wouldn’t be within 2/3 weeks of the open day so am I looking more at a February fitness test?

• Advertisement
Advertisement