Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Business is Live: Take 2!

Options
  • 09-11-2018 7:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭

Hi Everyone,

I got a huge amount of feedback on my last post. I think I took a lot of it onboard with the new website design so any further constructive feedback on mobile, tablet and desktop version would be brilliant! I still think the wording needs work so any suggestions would be great. Also, the new design does look cheaper but I am hoping it is more direct in giving the customer what they want. Maybe I have still not got this right however.

https://showergem.com/

Things that I know need to be fixed:
    • Change voice on video
    • Fix link on 11th FAQ question
    • Change logo in footer so no space
    • Change messenger app so that it opens in a new tab
    • ShowerGem has a space when wrote in the FAQ for SEO reasons
    • I have both a mailto and written email address on the contact page. This is so people can copy the email address if they don't like mailto's
    • Once people give some feedback I am going to start properly doing Google & Facebook ads

Thanks again for the previous thread and hope there are some more gems of advice in this one also :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Website is more or less fine, and product may well have some 'legs' (assuming IP and market exclusivity)

But the logo including base colours, design and font choice are all poor.
    A bit like buying a Ferrari California, but opting for a random shade of metallic purple, and asking them to put any aul non-brand, part-worn, tyres on it, before starting a long journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Altbiz

Is there a reason to have the product grid set out based on quantity of gems? This seems overly fussy/noisy to me, and is immediately asking the purchaser to make a decision before taking the first step to purchase - i.e they've decided they want it and they want to click to buy, but they suddenly have to have a think about how many they need.

I'd wonder if a more streamlined conversion process would be better - e.g I go to buy my shower gem, and as I'm filling out my options I'm presented with an option;

"Add another shower gem for a second bathroom, a friend or family member?"

So you've got them in the flow of the purchase, and then as they're investing their time filling out their details etc, you can up-sell the additional gems.

In other words, currently you're asking two questions on the Home Page; "do you want it? Yes/No", and "How many do you want?"

It might yield a better conversion rate if it was just "Do you want it? Click"

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Bugatti

I must say I really like this product. Would you ever consider other colours, such as black?

Regarding the website, two things I noticed on the Homepage. 1, when I scroll over the Buy, See, Install buttons at the top of the page, additional words appear under the button I'm hovering over. Is this needed? To be it looks like a bug. 2, the font you are using in the 'product grid' doesn't work with the rest of the text on the webpage. I'd suggest changing this font.

Finally I hope you don't mind me asking, how are you advertising? Are you using Google Ads or FB Ads? Or any other type of advertising online? What advertising method are you finding has the best conversion rate for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭tacofries

1. Website is more or less fine, and product may well have some 'legs' (assuming IP and market exclusivity)

2. But the logo including base colours, design and font choice are all poor.

1. Thank you! It is going well so far anyway and seeing some repeat customers already which is great!

2. I am a male myself so I don't trust my own opinions on the logo however do bear in mind that it is primarily aimed towards women. Maybe this doesn't change your thoughts which is fair enough,.
    Altbiz wrote: »
    1. Is there a reason to have the product grid set out based on quantity of gems?

1. I am using the 1 & 3Pack price to help influence customers to buy the 2 & 4Packs. Maybe this is the wrong approach.

2. I am going to look into your sales funnel idea. Going to give this website version a go for a few weeks, look at the conversion rate and then may/may not try out a funnel type approach. Certainly a different way of approaching sales and it does sound good. The only downside with this is that I think Shopify have a standard details, shipping & payment process which cannot be edited. e.g. once the customer enters their shipping details, it is then not possible for me to upsell another unit to them without them having to enter their shipping details again.
    Bugatti wrote: »
    1. I must say I really like this product. Would you ever consider other colours, such as black?

2. When I scroll over the Buy, See, Install buttons at the top of the page, additional words appear under the button I'm hovering over. Is this needed? To be it looks like a bug.

3. the font you are using in the 'product grid' doesn't work with the rest of the text on the webpage. I'd suggest changing this font.

4. Finally I hope you don't mind me asking, how are you advertising? Are you using Google Ads or FB Ads? Or any other type of advertising online? What advertising method are you finding has the best conversion rate for you?

1. In the distant future I will be doing colours but for now, it would break my heart if I had to carry loads of different SKU's! This idea is in the pipelines however :)

2. This is a bug! Where you using desktop or mobile? What browser were you using and android or apple? If you had a screenshot that would be a great help,.

3. Agree fully, I need to change this and also the font in the heading of the Install page.

4. Too early to tell you what has the best conversion rate yet. All I know is that google ads are very very expensive. Realistically it will take a few months to properly define what demographic has the best conversion rate so google ads may provide decent ROI once we know exactly who we should be targeting however, now that is not the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭barry181091

I presume I am right in thinking this is just a piece of molded plastic for the wall? How is this not ripe for ultra-cheap copycats from the likes of China, or even domestically? What's to stop me from opening solidworks now and producing a copycat for 5 euro a piece?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

I presume I am right in thinking this is just a piece of molded plastic for the wall? How is this not ripe for ultra-cheap copycats from the likes of China, or even domestically? What's to stop me from opening solidworks now and producing a copycat for 5 euro a piece?

Well, it won't be a ShowerGem will it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

tacofries wrote: »

Thank you! It is going well so far anyway and seeing some repeat customers already which is great!

Is the name ( ShowerGem ) on the product itself ?

Not sure whether this is a wind up or not so below is a basic but pretty honest answer of why getting a product to market is costly, tiresome and slow.

Despite infringing on all of our patents and registered design rights (expensive to enforce these in court but relatively easy to get distributors to remove any products that you sell them which infringe upon our IP) you will come up against 100's of k's of tooling costs, material testing and MOQ's. You will then have a few years of product testing before you go spending money on third party testing and will then face lead times of close to a year for some elements of the product to be made (elements which I won't be saying here). You then have 10 weeks shipping time from China to the EU so long as customs and their import duties treat you nicely. Even at €5, include postage of €5, vat at 23%, website transaction fees of 2.3%, adwords for marketing, and then all other operational day-to-day expenses your price is still going to be very close to The ShowerGem although you still won't have as good a product.

I would suggest opening up solidworks now and be prepared for your delivery in a few years time! It is genuinely an extremely tough & expensive path to build a product which can be manufactured at scale and meet all the necessary legal requirements + distributor guidelines.

gctest50 wrote: »
    Is the name ( ShowerGem ) on the product itself ?

Yep, it is!

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Bugatti

2. This is a bug! Where you using desktop or mobile? What browser were you using and android or apple? If you had a screenshot that would be a great help,.

I've attached screenshots of the 3 buttons as I hovered over each of them. This is on a desktop view using Chrome. But I also went onto Microshoft Edge and it was the same.

icxrdB1.jpg

• Advertisement

Bugatti wrote: »
    I've attached screenshots of the 3 buttons as I hovered over each of them. This is on a desktop view using Chrome. But I also went onto Microshoft Edge and it was the same.

icxrdB1.jpg

Thanks for that!! Looks very annoying so will try to fix it tomorrow ðŸ˜႒

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

1. Thank you! It is going well so far anyway and seeing some repeat customers already which is great!

2. I am a male myself so I don't trust my own opinions on the logo however do bear in mind that it is primarily aimed towards women. Maybe this doesn't change your thoughts which is fair enough,.

For the logo/brand your point of target customer gender is irrelevant, the shoppers aren't shopping for an extension of their personality, but rather a purely functional utilitarian household fitting.

Yes females should featured in the advertising/presentation (female consumers listen better to other females), but that's very different from making the 'product's personality' female also.

The font choice is plain, very plain with little overall visual hierarchy. Looks like default MS Word's Arial or something on auto setting.

The colours are also a bit 'wishy-washy' as is shown above in the buttons issue, they have a very low contrast ratio.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭KBD85

If I bang the product in the shower how hard does the impact need to be to knock it off the wall?

If I knock it off the wall I need to buy more glue from you to stick it back?

It looks 'pointy', I would have to put it low so I don't bang my elbows off the top points.

It looks like I could knock a large bottle of shampoo onto my toes easily enough.

These are concerns it may be useful to answer on the product page.

The price point is a bit high: https://m.gearbest.com/other-bathroom-accessories/pp_1623591.html?wid=1433363&currency=EUR&vip=15877964&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_7uFwrrn3gIVVeR3Ch13oQAvEAkYBSABEgLy-_D_BwE

A lot of people, myself included buy the basic hook hangers as it's obvious how it will be used. It can be a pain in the ass sometimes but there are no doubts about how it will be used and it can be hung from almost all bars that hold the shower heads and is cheap and cheerful and supplied in shops where people buy other bathroom accessories.

I would be very interested to know how you plan to get people to your website.

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/small-storage-organisers/bathroom-accessories/immeln-shower-hanger-two-tiers-zinc-plated-art-30252633/

From your wording in the faq you seem to be claiming ownership of the glue technology.

"Our engineering grade glue is used in both the Automotive and Aeronautical industries. This means that right now, there is likely to be an aeroplane in the sky that has our glue on it."

As a consumer if i show you a picture of a faulty shower gem I don't want to have to pay for postage, packaging, trip to the post office to return a clearly faulty product to you which would represent a large percentage of the cost of the product.

You're looking at the extra revenue you can make by cross selling extra brackets and glue but as a consumer I see that as a reason not to buy the product in the first place. Do people need to be told prominently in the faq how to reposition their shower gem and the extra expense and hassle that entails? I think people will stick it up and forget about it.

Best of luck, if I think of anything that will be useful to you I'll come back.

Advertisement