Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Increase in price

• 09-11-2018 8:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hey, I just want to get people's opinions on whether I'm being unreasonable. I hired a painter to redecorate my house. Gave him a key before he started so he could go through the place thoroughly before giving me a quote. We agreed a price and that he would be finished by the October bank holiday weekend. He still isn't finished as his day job was busy and tonight announced that he wanted 50% more than originally quoted as he felt it took him longer than expected. (I should note here that he did some feature walls and paint designs without asking me and without my approval). I refused point blank, I agreed to give him €100 more than originally quoted? Am I being unreasonable

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Tell him to jog on.

How long did it take him to paint the feature walls and murals? That’s why he over-ran.

Tell him to paint it as agreed or he gets nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Confused1aaa

amcalester wrote: »
    Tell him to jog on.

How long did it take him to paint the feature walls and murals? That’s why he over-ran.

Tell him to paint it as agreed or he gets nothing.

A lot of time believe me!! He did a good job in fairness but Every room has some type of feature including hanging textured wallpaper while I was on holidays and white pinstriping on all the walls

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

A lot of time believe me!! He did a good job in fairness but Every room has some type of feature including hanging textured wallpaper while I was on holidays and white pinstriping on all the walls

It's odd. He can't think he'd get paid for this if he wasn't asked to do it. What's worse is you could ask him to make it "normal" and pay him the original price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭dok_golf

I'm a painter and tbh, I bet this guy isn't! Was he doing this as a nixer by any chance?

dok_golf wrote: »
    I'm a painter and tbh, I bet this guy isn't! Was he doing this as a nixer by any chance?
    He was, what makes it worse is I’m his manager at work.
    I feel like I did the right thing, any other tradesman I’ve dealt with has agreed a price and stuck to it, unless they needed extra materials, but I’ve paid for all materials this time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Pistachios & cream

I think I’d be more annoyed that he decided to create feature walls etc without your approval. It’s your house do you should be making the decorating decisions based on your personal taste not his.

Also my dad used to paint houses years ago on the side like this guy did and he would never do any design decisions without the client giving approval.

I wouldn't entertain any of his moaning. He agreed a price ( still stunned a professional painter would do this), he should stick to it. I always build in a clause into my quotes that an extras would only be carried out with the express wishes of the customer. I presume, as a professional painter, he gave you a written quote?

dok_golf wrote: »
    I wouldn't entertain any of his moaning. He agreed a price ( still stunned a professional painter would do this), he should stick to it. I always build in a clause into my quotes that an extras would only be carried out with the express wishes of the customer. I presume, as a professional painter, he gave you a written quote?
    I think that’s one of the issues, he used to be a professional painter but gave it up and only does it in the evenings/ weekends when he’s off work. He never gave me a written quote all we agreed was a price and a finish date. The extras are for the most part nice, but I didn’t ask for them and to be honest didn’t want them. the sitting room for example I got a bright color for the chimney breast and a neutral color for the other walls. He painted the alcoves on either side of the chimney breast in the bright color also, which I don’t mind too much but on another wall he divided the wall from corner to corner- two big triangles and painted one the bright color and one the neutral color with a white stripe between them :/ I haven’t even moved in and I’m already thinking of repainting it.

I think and hope I was being fair offering him €100 more than the agreed price

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,276 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

If I hired someone to paint and I came home to feature walls I didn’t ask for it’s compensation I’d be after

Cyrus wrote: »
    If I hired someone to paint and I came home to feature walls I didn’t ask for it’s compensation I’d be after

clapping rapidly here!

• Advertisement

Thought I’d update this, so he “finished” the job- after I refused to pay the extra money suddenly some parts of the quote- namely painting the doors downstairs and the skirting boards were not included in the original quote!! To say the way he left the house was a disgrace is an understatement- I spent 5 hours today on my hands and knees trying to scrape paint off my brand new wooden floors :/

Lesson learned next time get a professional not someone doing a nixer

Advertisement