Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to remove this toilet bowl

• 09-11-2018 10:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭

I'm trying to remove this toilet bowl but I can't get it free on one side. There is a bolt on the side but it's not a screw so I can't remove it. Does anyone know how to remove this toilet bowl without damaging the tiles?

https://imgur.com/a/EMwG7TE

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

Is it a bolt 'cover'? Can it be depressed? unscrewed? easily pulled off?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭jmreire

I'm trying to remove this toilet bowl but I can't get it free on one side. There is a bolt on the side but it's not a screw so I can't remove it. Does anyone know how to remove this toilet bowl without damaging the tiles?

https://imgur.com/a/EMwG7TE

That's only a chrome cap covering the retaining bolt / screw. Prise it off with a flat bladed screwdriver, and you will see the screw head underneath. Remove that, and your toilet base should move easily after that. BUT in some cases, they also use a sealant / adhesive on the base to bond it to the floor tiles....you will know when you try to move it after the screws have been removed. It it's still "stuck" then it has been glued to the floor as well. It can be a tough job to un-glue it. Maybe some one has done this job recently, and can offer some advice? ( short of taking a sledge hammer to it...………:) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Kevin Finnerty

You need to disconnect the waste pipe first. Pop those screw covers and unscrew the screws,may still be stuck, mine was. Used a long kitchen sharp knife to slice the silicone away and pulled it forward. A dose of a job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

jmreire wrote: »
    That's only a chrome cap covering the retaining bolt / screw. Prise it off with a flat bladed screwdriver, and you will see the screw head underneath. Remove that, and your toilet base should move easily after that. BUT in some cases, they also use a sealant / adhesive on the base to bond it to the floor tiles....you will know when you try to move it after the screws have been removed. It it's still "stuck" then it has been glued to the floor as well. It can be a tough job to un-glue it. Maybe some one has done this job recently, and can offer some advice? ( short of taking a sledge hammer to it...………:) )

Thank you. I just removed the chrome cap. Do you know what the screw is actually to i.e. How does the mechanism work as the screw is going into the side of the toilet base so what does it attach to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 164 ✭✭jimbev

Thank you. I just removed the chrome cap. Do you know what the screw is actually to i.e. How does the mechanism work as the screw is going into the side of the toilet base so what does it attach to?

L brackets are screwed to the floor then toilet bowl screwed to brackets

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

It it's still "stuck" then it has been glued to the floor as well. It can be a tough job to un-glue it. Maybe some one has done this job recently, and can offer some advice? ( short of taking a sledge hammer to it...………:) )

Usually a heat gun will do the job, might be a bit messy but I've yet to come across a sealant that won't go soft.

jimbev wrote: »
    L brackets are screwed to the floor then toilet bowl screwed to brackets

But if you have to push the bowl against the wall, how do you align the L brackets because the only access is at the back of the bowl which is against the wall?

But if you have to push the bowl against the wall, how do you align the L brackets because the only access is at the back of the bowl which is against the wall?

Place the bowl in place, against the wall, and mark it's position with a marker pen. Then put the new "L" bracket against it, but on the outside, and mark its position on the floor as well. Remove the bowl, and check its thickness. Mark the thickness as a parallel line inside the 1st line you have drawn, marking the external measurements of the bowl. Then extend the "L" bracket lines INSIDE the inner parallel line, and screw it in place. You now have the correct position for the inner "L" brackets.
    Some questions for you:-
    I presume that you will get new brackets with the replacement bowl? Or have you to use the old ones? What kind of screw was holding it in place? was it threaded? IE: entering into a nut on the brackets? ( this would be the normal type)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

If your replacing the whole toilet.

Simply smash it with a hammer .

Not being funny but just smash it into smithereens.

Don't waste time fannying around with bolts.

If your not ..then don't do above.

listermint wrote: »
    If your replacing the whole toilet.

Simply smash it with a hammer .

Not being funny but just smash it into smithereens.

Don't waste time fannying around with bolts.

If your not ..then don't do above.

I think that the OP was worried about damaging the existing tiles with the hammer option...:D. But I guess, if you broke away the main part, then it would make it easier to get at the stuck bits.

• Advertisement

Place the bowl in place, against the wall, and mark it's position with a marker pen. Then put the new "L" bracket against it, but on the outside, and mark its position on the floor as well. Remove the bowl, and check its thickness. Mark the thickness as a parallel line inside the 1st line you have drawn, marking the external measurements of the bowl. Then extend the "L" bracket lines INSIDE the inner parallel line, and screw it in place. You now have the correct position for the inner "L" brackets.
    Some questions for you:-
    I presume that you will get new brackets with the replacement bowl? Or have you to use the old ones? What kind of screw was holding it in place? was it threaded? IE: entering into a nut on the brackets? ( this would be the normal type)

Thanks. I'm keeping the toilet but I wanted to see what was behind it because I thought there was a leak. Now I have to put the toilet back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Kevin Finnerty

I discarded the L brackets on mine and screwed a 3 by 2( can't remember the exact size) straight to the floor the same length as the inner width between the holes. Screwed the toilet straight onto that.

That's a very simple way to fix it Kevin...shape the wood to fit the inside of the base, and just screw it together. Easier than trying to line up the brackets with the holes in the base.

Advertisement