Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Use my mobile as handset for Virginmedia "landline"

Options
  • 10-11-2018 12:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 65,469 ✭✭✭✭
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

The guts of 10 years ago I used my old Nokia smartphone (5800?) as a handset for my Virginmedia (UPC) landline using I think SIP. Worked a treat. When away from home (even abroad) all I needed was wifi to make and receive landline calls (for free) as if I were at home

Is that still possible?

The reason I ask is that my almost 20 year old DECT landline phone is giving up the ghost. I rarely use it, only really for making long international landline calls (for free).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Virgin Media killed off that smartphone app to allow you use your landline. It might have been a year since they pulled the plug. It’s a pity.

Last I checked, they also don’t publicise the SIP credentials - otherwise you could use any VoIP app.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,017 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

ethernet wrote: »
    Virgin Media killed off that smartphone app to allow you use your landline. It might have been a year since they pulled the plug. It’s a pity.

Last I checked, they also don’t publicise the SIP credentials - otherwise you could use any VoIP app.

There are other VOIP providers, which are very cheap to use to make outgoing calls.
    Those can be used by a lot of apps from anywhere the account can be registered (wifi available).

You might consider one worth the money as an addition, if it is impossible to do this with your present provider.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,469 ✭✭✭✭unkel

There are other VOIP providers, which are very cheap to use to make outgoing calls.
    Those can be used by a lot of apps from anywhere the account can be registered (wifi available).

You might consider one worth the money as an addition, if it is impossible to do this with your present provider.

The thing is my Virginmedia package comes with free unlimited international calls. Would be a bit silly to pay another provider for this :p

Looks like I'll just have to pickup a cheap DECT phone and be done with it...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,017 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

unkel wrote: »
    The thing is my Virginmedia package comes with free unlimited international calls. Would be a bit silly to pay another provider for this :p

Looks like I'll just have to pickup a cheap DECT phone and be done with it...

Which won't cover you when "away from home (even abroad)".
    my Virginmedia package comes with free unlimited international calls

That has to be a new one on me.
    I accept it might be built into the price, but free?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,469 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Yeah, it's part of the Virginmedia package. You get it even if you don't want it, and you don't pay any extra for it. Kinda my definition of "free" :p

I don't need it when I'm abroad, it's just for when I'm at home I can chat for an hour or two with family and friends overseas...

• Advertisement
Advertisement