Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to prune an apple tree

Options
  • 10-11-2018 11:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭

Hi all,

I have never pruned my apple tree and I realise it's a mess, but no clue how to tackle this properly.

The tree is all over the place - see pics attached.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭macraignil

I think this guide available online is helpful to get a general idea how to prune apple trees well. The tree in the photo does not look that much of a mess to me and some well chosen pruning cuts could make it an open productive tree. Remember not to prune too much in one year as this leads to regrowth being too vigorous. I'd also be inclined to leave the leaves all fall off before pruning as there would still be some energy and nutrient in them the tree can take down to the roots for winter. In simple terms just remove any crossing, damaged or diseased branches first and then maybe an old branch near the centre of the tree or inward growing branch to allow some more air to get to the middle of the tree when it is fruiting. Also any branches that are beginning to hang downwards can be pruned back to where they are growing vertical as the fruit will drag then down further and possibly break them if you get a big crop.

Advertisement