Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fantasy football tactics

Options
  • 10-11-2018 5:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭

Doesn't seem to be a general chat thread. What ye think of following. My opposition this week has Russel Wilson QB, I have Tyler Lockett. Rams Seahawks is 9pm game so all his team bar Golden Tate and Wilson would have played. If I am ahead or levels at that stage, should I play Lockett over Robert Woods with Odell Beckham left for me. Should I go defensive and risk lower total but likely cancel any big swing Wilson v Woods could have.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Deco99 wrote: »
    Doesn't seem to be a general chat thread. What ye think of following. My opposition this week has Russel Wilson QB, I have Tyler Lockett. Rams Seahawks is 9pm game so all his team bar Golden Tate and Wilson would have played. If I am ahead or levels at that stage, should I play Lockett over Robert Woods with Odell Beckham left for me. Should I go defensive and risk lower total but likely cancel any big swing Wilson v Woods could have.

You're waaaaaaaaaaay over thinking this. It sounds like you're assuming any value Wilson has automatically results in proportionate value for Lockett and that's not true.

Start Woods over Lockett every single week. He's the better option in the better offense in the better team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Deco99

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    You're waaaaaaaaaaay over thinking this. It sounds like you're assuming any value Wilson has automatically results in proportionate value for Lockett and that's not true.

Start Woods over Lockett every single week. He's the better option in the better offense in the better team.

Lockett 17 PTS, Wilson 22,PTS Woods 12 PTS. Not much in it but does prove it was worth discussing if only as a tactic. Woods is not waaaay ahead of lockett as to not think about it. AVG 14 PTS per game versus 12. Woods isn't scoring TDs, and if Wilson was to score high, lockett is his usual deep ball.

Every week different so if your just going with the rankings it can be a mechanical enough game.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,355 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

The default strategy is to maximise your projected points at every available opportunity. Leaving aside your specific matchup, the vast majority of leagues run tiebreakers on the basis of points scored so there is always a motivation to strive for the highest points total every week.

But that is the 'default' strategy, there will be occasions where stacks / 'friendship' approaches (i.e. two receivers / running backs from the same team) can be considered. There will also be occasions where leaving a slot empty on a Monday night game where you have a lead and a negative points total (however unlikely) will cause defeat is the right way to go.
    Every week different so if your just going with the rankings it can be a mechanical enough game.

Well, which rankings do you go with? How do you construct your own view of rankings that you're happy with each week. And when the rankings rank players side by side, how do you decide?

Particularly if you play in multiple leagues, using a structured approach is a good place to start. Individual opinion on start sit decisions or on when to bias unconventional approaches has its place certainly (and if there's no money on the line in a league you're allowed to start someone for the craic like!) but most people won't make *consistently* better decisions than the weight of consensus opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Deco99

I tend to look at rankings as a guide but start sit is based on gut and feel. I watch enough to have my own opinions so in this case Woods was ranked top 10 for week but he hasn't had a TD since week 4. Generally is best players play, but when there isn't much in it I'll look at opposition. This example was based on being ahead and Wilson's deep threat being lockett. So I was happy to just try mitigate Wilson impact. Didn't matter anyway as other team went with Fitz at QB, so I went woods. League is head to head and wins are needed first and foremost. Money involved but not so much that have to play it without the fun of using my own judgement.

Playing empty spot to avoid a negative is not allowed in my league. Full lineup has to be set and you just have to have the balls to see it out. Play game on its merits.

Advertisement