Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryzen 7 or Ryzen 5 or something else?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Will the motherboards VRM be beefy enough for a 2700X - honestly no idea.

If you're willing to over clock would you be better off with a 2700 and simply OCing it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Overclocking on Ryzen + CPU's is kinda odd in that for the most part they will boost up to 4.0-4.1 GHz on there own and even if you win the silicon lottery with your CPU, the best you will get is around the 4.3 mark. Is there a particular reason for going for a matx case in an atx case? Why not a mid-range X470 board?

You need to check to make sure that board will run that make of ram at 3200mhz, as while ram settings have gotten better compared to first gen Ryzen, it's still not as good as on Intel systems so best check the QVL listing for that motherboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 2700 3.2 GHz 8-Core Processor (£250.36 @ Aria PC)
    CPU Cooler: Noctua - NH-U12S 55 CFM CPU Cooler (£54.97 @ CCL Computers)
    Motherboard: MSI - B450 Gaming Plus ATX AM4 Motherboard (£88.81 @ CCL Computers)
    Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (1 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (£123.32 @ Amazon UK)
    Storage: Crucial - MX500 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£131.99 @ Aria PC)
    Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£50.34 @ Aria PC)
    Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 1070 Ti 8 GB ARMOR Video Card (£379.97 @ Amazon UK)
    Case: be quiet! - Pure Base 600 (Black/Silver) ATX Mid Tower Case (£68.39 @ Aria PC)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£80.01 @ CCL Computers)
    Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit (£0.00)
    Total: £1228.16
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-11-11 16:47 GMT+0000

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Will the motherboards VRM be beefy enough for a 2700X - honestly no idea.

If you're willing to over clock would you be better off with a 2700 and simply OCing it?
    VRM - Now there's an acronym I've never heard before. I will switch the 2700X for a 2700.
    Venom wrote:
    Is there a particular reason for going for a matx case in an atx case? Why not a mid-range X470 board?
    No reason. It was defined in a different build that I used as the basis for mine and I hadn't gotten around to switching the case.
    Venom wrote: »
    You need to check to make sure that board will run that make of ram at 3200mhz, as while ram settings have gotten better compared to first gen Ryzen, it's still not as good as on Intel systems so best check the QVL listing for that motherboard.
    Thanks for the tip. The compatibility check that the site runs doesn't cover that I guess?
    K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 2700 3.2 GHz 8-Core Processor (£250.36 @ Aria PC)
    CPU Cooler: Noctua - NH-U12S 55 CFM CPU Cooler (£54.97 @ CCL Computers)
    Motherboard: MSI - B450 Gaming Plus ATX AM4 Motherboard (£88.81 @ CCL Computers)
    Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (1 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (£123.32 @ Amazon UK)
    Storage: Crucial - MX500 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£131.99 @ Aria PC)
    Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£50.34 @ Aria PC)
    Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 1070 Ti 8 GB ARMOR Video Card (£379.97 @ Amazon UK)
    Case: be quiet! - Pure Base 600 (Black/Silver) ATX Mid Tower Case (£68.39 @ Aria PC)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£80.01 @ CCL Computers)
    Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit (£0.00)
    Total: £1228.16
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-11-11 16:47 GMT+0000
    Thanks for that, it brings down the price a good bit. I'm just wondering - is it better to order off Irish retailers? Does it happen that some of the UK ones don't ship to Ireland for example?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Malice wrote: »
    VRM - Now there's an acronym I've never heard before.

They weren't really an issue until the move was made away from quad cores. They can make a difference on boards with intel processors, I'm not sure what the story is with AMD.

• Advertisement

VRM - Now there's an acronym I've never heard before. I will switch the 2700X for a 2700.
    No reason. It was defined in a different build that I used as the basis for mine and I hadn't gotten around to switching the case.

Thanks for the tip. The compatibility check that the site runs doesn't cover that I guess?

Thanks for that, it brings down the price a good bit. I'm just wondering - is it better to order off Irish retailers? Does it happen that some of the UK ones don't ship to Ireland for example?
    UK retailers have better prices for us, and better stock/variety.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭Damien360

CCL ship by DPD for a very small fee on top. Amazon, I use parcel motel. Not sure about Aria in your build. I made the same mistake as you and priced Euro but it makes no sense as ordering from UK is a lot cheaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Would you consider a 2600 or 2600X? Still has enough cores/threads to tear through productivity and either is faster than the 2700 in games out-of-the-box, and would save you some cash to invest elsewhere.

I wouldn't be a motherboard maestro but I can't see there being any issues with the 2700X in that board you had picked out, in any case. Overclocking might be limited; but Ryzen 2 CPU's really don't need overclocking anyway to be honest.

Also to be honest I don't get peoples obsession on this board with expensive third party coolers as an absolute mandatory purchase! Sure, if you want it and can personally justify it, but the stock AMD cooler that comes with the CPU is perfectly fine and does a decent job.

By ditching the 3rd party cooler and dropping to a Ryzen 2600, you could easily afford an RTX2070, which would make a difference in games (as well as give you a latest generation GPU).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

No, as the ram will work 100% at 2333mhz in most case's but may not overclock up to 3200mhz with certain boards. There should be a link on the motherboard in questions product page that has a QVL file stating what ram will run at what frequency with that board.

Also to be honest I don't get peoples obsession on this board with expensive third party coolers as an absolute mandatory purchase! Sure, if you want it and can personally justify it, but the stock AMD cooler that comes with the CPU is perfectly fine and does a decent job.

By ditching the 3rd party cooler and dropping to a Ryzen 2600, you could easily afford an RTX2070, which would make a difference in games (as well as give you a latest generation GPU).

Because OP mentioned music production, I put in a nice Noctua which is super quiet.

• Advertisement

ALSO I'M A SPANNER

If buying the NH-U12S (not NH-U12S SE-AM4) you need to contact Noctua for a free NM AM4-UxS bracket adapter.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Thanks for all the responses so far folks, certainly plenty for me to ponder!
    Would you consider a 2600 or 2600X? Still has enough cores/threads to tear through productivity and either is faster than the 2700 in games out-of-the-box, and would save you some cash to invest elsewhere.
    I'm not sure I understand what you're saying here. Are you saying a Ryzen 5 2600 is faster than a Ryzen 7 2700?
    Venom wrote: »
    No, as the ram will work 100% at 2333mhz in most case's but may not overclock up to 3200mhz with certain boards. There should be a link on the motherboard in questions product page that has a QVL file stating what ram will run at what frequency with that board.
    So, using the board from K.O.Kiki's build I found this page. Is it saying that the 3200 RAM is supported at 3466 MHz?
    K.O.Kiki wrote:
    Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (1 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
    I seem to recall before that RAM had to be installed in pairs in certain boards. Is that not the case any more or at least in this case?

Honestly I just picked by-price; there's very few times dual-channel matters other than in iGPU systems.
    Despite all that I thought I knew leading up to our MSI meeting last July, dual-channel just isn't necessary for the vast majority of the consumer market. Anyone doing serious simulation (CFD, parametric analysis) will heavily benefit from dual-channel configurations (~17.7% advantage). Users who push a lot of copy tasks through memory will also theoretically see benefits, depending on what software is controlling the tasking. Video editors and professionals will see noteworthy advantages in stream (RAM) previews and will see marginal advantages in render time. It is probably worth having in this instance -- in the very least, I'd always go dual-channel for editing / encoding if only for future advancements.

Advertisement