Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

gaps between skirting and laminate

• 10-11-2018 9:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭

Hi

I have gaps between my skirting and laminate in my house- a new build. Why does this occur and what can I do to fix it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Probably the main floor wasn't level before the laminate went down.

A strip of bead might be your best bet at the stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Becks610

Probably the main floor wasn't level before the laminate went down.

A strip of bead might be your best bet at the stage.

Thanks , it’s a new house over a year old. Concrete was poured in on the top floor-pretty sure it was level. I don’t remember seeing these gaps at the start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭dok_golf

It's shrinkage in the timber.

dok_golf wrote: »
    It's shrinkage in the timber.

Yes I have been reading about this. I have underfloor heating and these gaps definitely weren’t there at the start. I would have noticed. I should have had the timber in my house getting acclimatized to the heat and then got everything laid after the shrinkage. What can I do now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

It’s not that bad.

But if it’s bothering you, new skirting is the only answer, or removing and attaching again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Molly

Base shoe moulding is another solution, but you would have to do at least the entire room.

Becks610 wrote: »
    Yes I have been reading about this. I have underfloor heating and these gaps definitely weren’t there at the start. I would have noticed. I should have had the timber in my house getting acclimatized to the heat and then got everything laid after the shrinkage. What can I do now?

Not a lot without spending money . I have been asked before to caulk gap at bottom of the skirts, and I have to admit, it looked great, but I can't imagine it being anything but a temporary fix, as in summer, the timber will swell again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

You can cover it with Angle corner moulding

But looking at the pictures.

I wouldn't bother. It's really not bad or noticeable

Thanks everyone. Yeah it’s not that bad. I swear I go around my house looking for things to annoy me. Sometime in the future I will fix it. When I do is it just a matter of getting a carpenter to re attach or if it’s danaged getting new skirting ( ensuring it won’t shrink). House is a new house so in the summer temp rose to close to 30 with the weather we had and now it would be set at 20 so would the issue re occur?

Timber will shrink and expand due to humidity. It's the nature of the beast. You could get so.eone to scribe the skirts, but even then the gap doesn't remain constant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Tefral

Hey OP, can you find out if Ballytherm insulation was used in your subfloor?

I'm looking at that photo and on the right it looks like its still in contact with floor. If it was tight to the floor before there's a good 10mm after coming in that which is a little unusual but not unheard of. Is this happening everywhere?

Tefral wrote: »
    Hey OP, can you find out if Ballytherm insulation was used in your subfloor?

I'm looking at that photo and on the right it looks like its still in contact with floor. If it was tight to the floor before there's a good 10mm after coming in that which is a little unusual but not unheard of. Is this happening everywhere?

Yeah it’s everywhere upstairs ( not downstairs as noticeable) part from where the skirting is really short. Insulation was xtratherm.

Advertisement