Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Roof felt exposed and getting wet

• 10-11-2018 11:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 518 ✭✭✭

I was clearing out the gutter today and noticed some problems with the set up of the roof.

1. The felt hangs down into the gutter (see attached Felt 1 and Felt 2 jpegs). Naturally it is wet. I presume this is not very good for the felt as the water will wick up into the felt that is under the tiles. On the inside, the ceiling is vaulted, with a wood covering, so I don't have easy access to this to check, but it seems logical.

Any ideas on what I should do with this? Should it be just cut or something more? Or maybe it is very normal and nothing to worry about?

2. The room just out from the house (see wideview_hip.jpg) and has a part-pentagonal shape, so there are lots of joins between the different parts of the fascia. Some of these joins, don't quite join (see FasciaJoin.jpg).
    For fixing these, can I just apply a bit of black silicone to make the join?

3. Where the hip slate meets the gutter, there is a bit of a gap, and if I look in, I can see the wood and the felt. It seems like a large enough gap (see hip1.jpg). Should I fill it with expanding foam?

Or maybe, given all of this mess, I should just get somebody to come out and do a job on it, but it is hard to get people to do small jobs, especially people with expertise in roofs, so if I can, I would like to do it myself.

I'd be very grateful for any advice you can offer.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Felt is meant to hang down into the the gutter.

It shouldn't come down into the bottom of the gutter touching the channel bottom but it is meant to hang down into it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 518 ✭✭✭CarPark2

listermint wrote: »
    Felt is meant to hang down into the the gutter.

It shouldn't come down into the bottom of the gutter touching the channel bottom but it is meant to hang down into it.

Thanks. But does it not absorb water from the gutter and wick that up to the rest of the felt underneath the tiles?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

CarPark2 wrote: »
    Thanks. But does it not absorb water from the gutter and wick that up to the rest of the felt underneath the tiles?

It should be drip felt inserted under the bottom row of tiles. It won't wick back up as it is ticker than normal felt and sealed. It also should't rot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,384 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Black silicone = good idea.

Expansion foam = very, very bad idea.

The felt is fine as is, it looks like breathable felt.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

Black silicone = good idea.

Expansion foam = very, very bad idea.

The felt is fine as is, it looks like breathable felt.

Thanks.
    So is it ok to leave that big gap at the bottom of the ridge slate? If I look in, I can see the wood supporting the roof. I presume that shouldn’t be exposed? It is such a big gap that even a whole tube of silicone wouldn’t fill it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,384 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

You could fill it with a sand and cement mix, you should be able to pick up a small bag in a DIY shop.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

the felt is normal but should be cut back if behind the line of the slates

the fascia gap can be siliconed . a external corner is availible to cover that but i think its only avaible in 22/5 degree , 45degree and 90degrees. check to see if its loose. the nails might be loose and allowing the gap

the hip ridge cap is messy. two options. take off the ridge caps and put on a ventilated ridge roll like this https://www.roofnstop.ie/dry-ridge-systems/ventilated-ridge-roll-x-strong-anthracite.html. then put back on the ridge caps

while you have them off change the bottom ridge cap to an end cap like this http://www.tegral.com/en/accessories-and-fixings/slate/fibre-cement-hip-stop-end.

the felt is normal but should be cut back if behind the line of the slates

Thanks for the response.

Sorry to be slow, but what do you mean "if behind the line of the slates". So the slates hang down a little bit over the edge, of the roof, and just at the edge, I see about an inch of felt hanging down. In some parts it is longer than others. Is this OK, or does it need to be trimmed back?

Out of interest, what is the reason for having this piece of felt hanging out?

the hip ridge cap is messy. two options. take off the ridge caps and put on a
    ventilated ridge roll like this https://www.roofnstop.ie/dry-ridge-s...nthracite.html.
    then put back on the ridge caps

while you have them off change the
    bottom ridge cap to an end cap like this http://www.tegral.com/en/accessories...t-hip-stop-end.

So, if I put an end cap in place of the bottom ridge cap, does that mean that I don't need to put on the ventilated ridge roll?

Thanks for all the responses. It is great to be able to get this advice.

CarPark2 wrote: »
    Thanks for the response.

Sorry to be slow, but what do you mean "if behind the line of the slates". So the slates hang down a little bit over the edge, of the roof, and just at the edge, I see about an inch of felt hanging down. In some parts it is longer than others. Is this OK, or does it need to be trimmed back?

Out of interest, what is the reason for having this piece of felt hanging out?

So, if I put an end cap in place of the bottom ridge cap, does that mean that I don't need to put on the ventilated ridge roll?

Thanks for all the responses. It is great to be able to get this advice.

There is nothing wrong with the caps that way only it's terrible looking.

The point of the felt is to catch any water that might get behind the slates. Having it hang into the gutter allows the water to end up in the gutter and not running down the wall. There should not be any water coming down the felt.

The water coming off the slates shouldn't be landing on the felt

There is nothing wrong with the caps that way only it's terrible looking.

The point of the felt is to catch any water that might get behind the slates. Having it hang into the gutter allows the water to end up in the gutter and not running down the wall. There should not be any water coming down the felt.

The water coming off the slates shouldn't be landing on the felt

Re the caps, so apart from the look (which is not a huge priority for me) there is no problem with being able to see the wood beam under the cap? If so, I’ll leave it, but I thought it would be better not to have the wood exposed to the elements.

Re the felt, how far should it hang down?

• Advertisement

ideally you wouldnt be able to see in there . wind and rain shouldnt get in there too much. does it look wet in there.
    if it was i would probably do both but it would only cost me the materials

about 1"

Advertisement