Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BOI Account while living abroad

Options
  • 11-11-2018 10:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

So I have been living abroad for 10 years now and have a BOI account in Ireland. To be honest I never even thought anything of this before. It never occurred to me this is an issue. 

However I received the "Prove your identity and address" email that BOI have been sending out recently. And this has raised some questions for me:

1) Are there implications for me living abroad or can I update my address to my current one easily? 

2) What form of proof of address is actually accepted. The email being sent out is remarkably vague on that issue. In Germany where I live in now it is procedure that you register your location with the local Town Hall. Is a copy of this document sufficient? Do I need to update my address somehow BEFORE I provide that document? Or would BOI update my address themselves upon receiving said document and seeing the current address does not match the account address. 

3) Or can I easily, without returning to Ireland, simply close the BOI account (Current account, no credit cards) and have the relatively small contents of it (about 3k) transferred to one of my Current German Accounts? Or would it be easier to do this in Person while I am already there in January. 

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Lorna

Hi there nozzferrahhtoo,

Thank you for getting in touch with us here today.

I'll answer your queries in the same order.

1) To update your address you can sign into 365online.com and select the Service Desk menu option and then select Update Postal Address. Or you can contact us on 0035314044000 if you do not have access to online banking.

2) The proof of address in this case would be a current utility bill, or a current statement from credit or financial institution (non bank of Ireland)

3) You will need to update your address before you close your account. If you choose to close your account you can do so using the link I have provided here. You will be able to enter an account to have the funds transferred to. Or you can write a letter to your account holding branch with a certified copy of your passport and a proof of address along with your contact details, the account number and your signature.

If I can help you with anything else, please give us a shout.

Thanks,

Lorna

Advertisement