Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Moving from crew cab van to large SUV

• 11-11-2018 10:50am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭

Hi lads,
    Bit of advice here.

I am pondering the change in the new year and I am pondering a Large SUV type thing as the van is taxed commercially the Sunday driving is getting dodgier every year, then the VRT is gone up on all those crew cabs it seems so the Van that cost €24k a few years ago now is costing over €30k.

I would think that the budget would not be over €35k for a 191, I drove a Nissan X-Trail the other day and I found the drivers position very cramped with the door panel on one side and the centre console squishing in my knee's, 6'5" by the way.

I suppose I am looking for a new(Or newish 17-18 would be fine also) set of wheels that would have plenty of room in the front seats, back seats for the kids, nice and high to get into, will be putting a hitch on it to pull a horsebox but that would be only twice a month, 4WD would be nice but not needed.
    The boot size of the van is more than adequate at the moment but I still would like something with a good size boot
    An estate would be fine but they are too low, am not looking for a full size jeep as I am thinking that the running costs would be a tad high.

Currently have a 151 Citroen Dispatch Crew Cab, LWB with 103,000km on the clock.

So have two questions.
    • Any recommendations on what i should be looking at ?
    • What would be the rough value of the my own van ?

Thanks in advance

Comments

Big Lar wrote: »
    Hi lads,
    Bit of advice here.

I am pondering the change in the new year and I am pondering a Large SUV type thing as the van is taxed commercially the Sunday driving is getting dodgier every year,

I wouldn’t worry in the slightest about it. I know loads of people using commercials for commuting and family cars and never heard of even a hint of hassle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,653 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

1. Boots in all these medium SUVs are not big.
    Bigger than a standard hatchback but nowhere near a proper estate.

2. The towing capacity of them is no higher than an estate.

3. Yep running costs and initial price of large SUV are very high.

What towing capacity do you need for the horsebox? This may be your limiting factor.

eg
    For 35k you'd get say a nearly new passat/superb estate. Or a nearly new Tiguan.

Go have s look at towing capacity and size

I'd have the superb estate everyday for practicality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Advertisement