Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would like to Appeal 7 Day Radio Ban

Options
  • 11-11-2018 11:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭

I'd like to appeal this on several grounds.

Can you please outline the process to me?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Hi ButtersSuki - contact the mod first and see if you can work through it with them.

If that doesn't work, come back here and a CMod will look into it for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Mr E wrote: »
    Hi ButtersSuki - contact the mod first and see if you can work through it with them.

If that doesn't work, come back here and a CMod will look into it for you.

I sent the mod in question a detailed reply earlier. I’m waiting for a response.

As I have you, I do also wish to raise the issue of moderating on the radio thread in general recently and the issue of mods responding to questions asked cordially and respectfully re. Warnings/infractions etc. I have recently written detailed and lengthy emails to a number of mods re. the latter, and to my disappointment not received a reply to many of same. I have sought clarification on many aspects but the one that troubles me the most and which I really want clarified is the deliberate and selective misquoting through editing of quoted posts to misrepresent the intention of the original poster. A defence of such a misrepresentation is surely valid? The practice of misrepresenting through edited quoting is inherently inflammatory and provocative and should be stopped instantly....if only as a way of nipping potential issues in the bud, so to speak.

There also appears to be double standards at play for certain posters, with some being given significantly more leeway on comments than others. The mod said I was posted personal comments, I would maintain I did no such thing - I was actually very matter of fact in my reply. The poster who did post personal comments - amongst them calling me “cowardly”, “obsessed” and a “bitter little man” was not punished. Double standards? Btw, I could list many more of the personal insults and comments hurled st me on that thread if I had access to the radio forum. But I’m banned.

I’ve had a conversation with a mod recently where I was told a post I reported should have resulted in a ban but 2 weeks had passed so they couldn’t action it. Not 2 weeks since the post was reported, but 2 weeks before they got around to reviewing it.

Finally for the moment, I was told I continued an argument after being told to stop by a mod. Being pedantic, it was a different conversation. I stopped conversing with the person, this was a new conversation.

I’m not trying to be a d*ck - I promise. But there is a lack of consistency in how these complaints and the thread is being handled. I’m just asking for fairness.

As per (and post) discussion with mod would like to appeal 7 Day ban.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Hi ButtersSuki,

I'll have a look at this for you. Can I see your pm exchange with the mod please? You can either pm them or post them here. Thanks.

Thanks for the reply.

I'll send them via PM.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Thanks. Bear with me while I review.

Thanks. Bear with me while I review.

Hiya,

apologies but I can only send 5 Pms in 10mins (was unaware of this myself until now) so I've just sent you another batch now - and there's more to come btw.

No, that's okay. No more pms please. I have more than enough.

No, that's okay. No more pms please. I have more than enough.

Apologies, think I was sending you some as you typed that - the last ones are very short though.

Butters, after having a look at this I have decided to uphold the ban.

The post that got you the ban was a straightforward instance of ignoring mod instruction to stop. This comes on the back of too many warnings/infractions in Radio. You have received 5 yellow cards in 2018 alone. Having also received 2 cards in 2017 and 5 in 2016. That's 12 cards in the last 3 years and 3 short bans not including this one. All of these were for similar reasons: ignoring mod instructions, getting personal with users, being uncivil, etc. In your pms you suggest that you generally accepted these previous warnings, and yet you kept building them up, leading to this ban.

Looking through recent threads in the forum I see you in the middle of multiple bickering matches with other users. In your pms you claim that other people started these arguments. That may be, but you participated in them, often ignoring mod instructions to stop. You are responsible for your own posts. What action has or hasn't been taken against other users isn't relevant to this DRP.

Frankly, from what I can see the Radio mods have been more than fair to you. I'd suggest using this break from the forum to reflect on your posting style.

My decision is final, but if you want I can ask an Admin to review it as well.

• Advertisement

Butters, after having a look at this I have decided to uphold the ban.

The post that got you the ban was a straightforward instance of ignoring mod instruction to stop. This comes on the back of too many warnings/infractions in Radio. You have received 5 yellow cards in 2018 alone. Having also received 2 cards in 2017 and 5 in 2016. That's 12 cards in the last 3 years and 3 short bans not including this one. All of these were for similar reasons: ignoring mod instructions, getting personal with users, being uncivil, etc. In your pms you suggest that you generally accepted these previous warnings, and yet you kept building them up, leading to this ban.

Looking through recent threads in the forum I see you in the middle of multiple bickering matches with other users. In your pms you claim that other people started these arguments. That may be, but you participated in them, often ignoring mod instructions to stop. You are responsible for your own posts. What action has or hasn't been taken against other users isn't relevant to this DRP.

Frankly, from what I can see the Radio mods have been more than fair to you. I'd suggest using this break from the forum to reflect on your posting style.

My decision is final, but if you want I can ask an Admin to review it as well.

Thanks for the reply.

Just to clarify, what I meant by accepting the bans was that I didn't challenge them.

Yes, I would like to refer this to an admin please.

I will also send you a final PM if that's ok?

Thanks for the reply.

Just to clarify, what I meant by accepting the bans was that I didn't challenge them.

Yes, I would like to refer this to an admin please.

I will also send you a final PM if that's ok?

Thanks Butters, but no more pms please. Use this thread.

I'll flag this for Admin review.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

I'll take a look at this shortly.

Thanks Mike, appreciate that.

mike_ie wrote: »
    I'll take a look at this shortly.

Hi Mike,

Do you need me to send you the supplementary PMs I sent to the Mods on this issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Hi Mike,

Do you need me to send you the supplementary PMs I sent to the Mods on this issue?

Yes, I'd appreciate that. Send me the correspondence you had with the mod team over this matter.

mike_ie wrote: »
    Yes, I'd appreciate that. Send me the correspondence you had with the mod team over this matter.

I'v sent you 5 there now, will send the others in 10mins (won't allow me to before then).

I'v sent you 5 there now, will send the others in 10mins (won't allow me to before then).

Hi again.....just wondering if there's any update on this?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Apologies but Mike_ie has not been on site for a couple of weeks. I'm not sure when he'll be back, so if you wish I can take a look. If you are happy with this approach could you forward the PMs to me?

Thanks

Beasty wrote: »
    Apologies but Mike_ie has not been on site for a couple of weeks. I'm not sure when he'll be back, so if you wish I can take a look. If you are happy with this approach could you forward the PMs to me?

Thanks

Thanks Beasty,

I can send them on to you - if I still have them - I had to delete a lot of messages recently as my mailbox was full.

This is not intended as personal criticism to anyone of the mods personally, but the time it's taking to review bans is IMO overly long. I appreciate you're doing this voluntarily but it's somewhat frustrating that for example in this case that it took longer than my ban itself lasted to review the ban itself. My ban was upheld, but had I successfully "won" my appeal, it would have in effect been worthless due to the delay on the administrative side of said appeal.

Likewise, I'm currently on Day 8 of a 14 day ban from the Radio Forum (a separate ban); and despite starting the process on Day 1, there hasn't been a single response to my original post yet, despite two prompts on my side. It's a little frustrating TBH.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Still no sign of Mike, so if you could forward any PMs you still have relating to this matter I'll take a look, probably this evening

Thanks for all those PMs. I would note that not all of them related to the mod action you are challenging, but in some cases are suggesting that other posters have got off more lightly than you for similar behaviour

To be clear the DR process is to consider your own actions and not those of others, but I would just say one thing that hopefully will help you understand your perceived view of mods treating posters differently

I think it has been made clear in correspondence that sanctions increase and TBH your own record in the Radio forum over the past few months has been very poor. You had picked up 5 yellow cards since June and the 1 week ban here reflected that. I would add also that you may not always see mod actions against other posters, and equally on some occasions a card or ban may be applied to a single post, but can reflect a number of posts that have gone over the line. Mods will not necessarily identify every post that is being taken into account

Having looked at the thread in question, the mod warning in the OP, the forum Charter, and your prior record I am not seeing anything inappropriate in the mod's actions, or the view expressed in this thread by the CMod. I am therefore upholding the ban

I would also suggest that if you find yourself in "conflict" with specific posters regularly, why not put them on ignore? I know that does not remove all trace but it avoids the need to see their views which may be in conflict with your own. Hopefully that will help avoid escalation of issues Without commenting specifically on your other current dispute I would add that I would expect sanctions to continue increasing in severity unless there is an extended period without issue. Hence I think it's in your own best interests to make a concerted effort not to get into further trouble in that forum.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement