Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UNITE vs SIPTU vs IMPACT - Which union to join?

Options
  • 11-11-2018 1:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭

I recently joined in an ICT role at a Local Authority in Dublin. I would like to join a union.

May I know which one is good support their members - IMPACT or UNITE or SIPTU?

Any suggestion on which union to join?

Thanks...
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Impact/ Forsa look after clerical/tech/admin.
    Siptu looks after gen ops/semi skiled/outdoor workers
    LAPO/SIPTU look after engineers
    UNITE look after craft workers.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Moved from Politics forum

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭MaxPayneXL

Ok, Thanks...

I would contact Impact/ Forsa next week.

MaxPayneXL wrote: »
    Ok, Thanks...

I would contact Impact/ Forsa next week.

Yes. And good luck in your new job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

What union are your colleagues in?

• Advertisement

FORSA?

Just saw this on their website: Amalgamation of IMPACT, the Civil, Public and Services Union (CPSU), and the Public Service Executive Union (PSEU)

Is this the best option for me? I am Grade 5 in public sector.

FORSA?

Just saw this on their website: Amalgamation of IMPACT, the Civil, Public and Services Union (CPSU), and the Public Service Executive Union (PSEU)

Is this the best option for me? I am Grade 5 in public sector.
    Forsa it is.

Which is the strongest union when it comes to Local Authorities like South Dublin County Council or Dublin City Council?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,281 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Id recommend not joining a union.

May I know why?

• Advertisement

Which is the strongest union when it comes to Local Authorities like South Dublin County Council or Dublin City Council?

You won't have a choice. If you are a technician or clerical staff, Forsa are the union for you. Siptu or Unite or LAPO don't represent that grade.

Fann Linn wrote: »
    You won't have a choice. If you are a technician or clerical staff, Forsa are the union for you. Siptu or Unite or LAPO don't represent that grade.

Thanks...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Although I’ve been frustrated as hell by Unions that have represented me workers are far better off as a result of Unions.

We’d be screwed if we had to rely on either our employers or legislators to ensure that people are treated properly in their place of employment.

Unions ensure that our Terms and Conditions of employment are much better than we could have expected without them.

Unity is strength.

Although I’ve been frustrated as hell by Unions that have represented me .

May I know which union was it? Was it FORSA?

May I know why?

You do not have to join a union, no one will force you to, and unless there is some sort of industrial action, none of your colleagues wil know your position.

However, the wages, terms and conditions you are on were garnered by trade unions, furthermore, despite the direst economic circumstances in this country, not one PS or LA staff member was laid off when this country crashed between 2007 and 2014. Again, this was down to TU negotiation despite many calls from both within Ireland and outside for people to be laid off.

When this argument comes up I'm always reminded of the Dell workers, who were themselves non union. When the sh1t hit the fan in Limerick and the company packed off to Poland, the first people the employees ran to for advice and assistance in seeking redundancy payments was the TU movement and Siptu in particular.

For €4/€5 per week its worth it imo.

May I know why?

With robust labour laws and the ease at which people can now change jobs, they have passed their sell by date. You are now effectively handing over contributions to pay for protests about social issues and Labour Party candidate 'donations' . The unions have become an ineffective talking shop and stifle progress.

You can opt out of the LP contribution. I did.

May I know which union was it? Was it FORSA?

It would have been the precursor to Forsa, the PSEU.

Far better in than out as far as I’m concerned.

Max, have you asked your colleagues what union they're in? Do you know yet who the local reps are?

Max, have you asked your colleagues what union they're in? Do you know yet who the local reps are?

I have asked 2 of my colleagues, but they doesnt have any union membership!

• Advertisement

I have asked 2 of my colleagues, but they doesnt have any union membership!

Definitely wouldn't join then. Being in a union (if known) is often a surefire way to put yourself at the bottom of the promotion prospects list. Last thing upper management want.

Do you know anyone else who does work like yours in another department or local authority? What I'm getting at is that it'd be better to link up with people with jobs/grades similar to yours in their union. It just makes things simpler if something ever happens. It's poor form on the rep's behalf if he /she never even approached your colleagues and spoke to them about joining.

Definitely wouldn't join then. Being in a union (if known) is often a surefire way to put yourself at the bottom of the promotion prospects list. Last thing upper management want.

That type of discriminatory behaviour only exists in the private sector. OP is in the public sector, it wouldn’t even be known when in the frame for promotion whether he’d be in a union or not.

Total bull. Majority of staff in the PS would be TU members, including middle and upper managment.

In a LA apart from the few Directors of Services and the CEO at the top it would not be unusual for a very large % to be included.

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Total bull. Majority of staff in the PS would be TU members, including middle and upper managment.

In a LA apart from the few Directors of Services and the CEO at the top it would not be unusual for a very large % to be included.

I didn't realise OP was public sector as above, in the private sector it would (quite rightly) hurt promotion prospects but as its public sector , one talking shop paying another talking shop is hardly a problem :pac:

I didn't realise OP was public sector as above, in the private sector it would (quite rightly) hurt promotion prospects but as its public sector , one talking shop paying another talking shop is hardly a problem :pac:

Majority of Siptu membership, north and south, would be private sector.

Contacted FORSA. The annual subscription is 360 Euro !

I personally think it is too much. My colleagues also have the same opinion. So holding off for the time being.

It is pity that I doesnt have any alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,716 ✭✭✭Augme

It's a waste of time joining a union in the public sector. Unless you get into a hot water and need their help then don't waste your money. The union will still negoiate on your behalf and any/all deals they get for union members will benefit you as well.

Advertisement