Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Getting a car home with no NCT

• 11-11-2018 5:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭

ok like the title says if you buy a car with no nct can you drive it home if you book it in for nct the same day you collect it ie drive it to the test center on way home.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

The car doesn't have a valid nct so no you can't

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭homingbird

EPAndlee wrote: »
    The car doesn't have a valid nct so no you can't

You are allowed bring a car to the nct without nct so if you go to test center & pass you can carry on home correct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

homingbird wrote: »
    You are allowed bring a car to the nct without nct so if you go to test center & pass you can carry on home correct.

No, the only exemption is driving home if you failed. The only legal way to car a car without an NCT to the test, or anywhere, is in a trailer or back of a truck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,095 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

homingbird wrote: »

Dell2005 beat me to it, but since I have the post written, I'll keep going. Back in the 2009 regulations, there was a provision to allow you to drive a car to the NCT test without a current NCT cert, but this was removed in 2012.

Currently, these are the only situations where you can legally drive without an NCT:
    (9) Subject to paragraphs (4) and (7), section 18 and these Regulations do not apply to a vehicle—

(a) which has reached the fortieth anniversary of its first registration,

(b) first registered prior to 1 January 1980, or

(c) which is used solely on an off-shore island,

(d) on the day on which a test certificate in respect of the vehicle had been refused,

(e) in the 24 hour period prior to a test appointment in the case of a vehicle heretofore used solely on an off-shore island attending for a first test provided evidence of the appointment is produced, or

(f) which is owned or operated by the Garda Síochána or the Defence Forces.

Source: S.I. No. 415/2017 - Road Traffic (National Car Test) Regulations 2017

Obviously in practice you'd usually be ok if you had evidence of a booking with you, but there's no guarantees.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭SSr0

phutyle wrote: »
    Dell2005 beat me to it, but since I have the post written, I'll keep going. Back in the 2009 regulations, there was a provision to allow you to drive a car to the NCT test without a current NCT cert, but this was removed in 2012.

Currently, these are the only situations where you can legally drive without an NCT:

Source: S.I. No. 415/2017 - Road Traffic (National Car Test) Regulations 2017

Obviously in practice you'd usually be ok if you had evidence of a booking with you, but there's no guarantees.

What does it mean that Gardaí who own or are driving the car, are exempt?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭milhous

SSr0 wrote: »
    What does it mean that Gardaí who own or are driving the car, are exempt?

Not by individuals, by an garda siochana

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭SSr0

milhous wrote: »
    Not by individuals, by an garda siochana

Thanks. Yeah that makes sense, I read that wrong.

Advertisement